Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
  1.    #121  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossm812 View Post
    Hey do you have any of the original touchstone backs, sans the electronic 'guts' ??? Mine is a little scuffed and wld pay a buck or two for shipping if you had one you wldn't mind letting go...?
    Sorry no gutted backs, I send the gutted back along with the new modded back to my customers. Sorry I couldnt help
    Need a case or battery touchstone compatible? I just released my OtterBox case that works with the Touchstone. Check out the links below.

Some user feedback here:
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ouchstone.html
    Steve, I have been using the extended battery mod for a couple of days now. I just wish I knew about it earlier! I've wanted the extended battery since I had my pre, but would not sacrifice the touchstone. Thanks again. Will be ordering another for my mom. Great job man!
    I live in Germany and ordered the package with the 2600 battery, touchstone back, and the modification service a couple of months back and had it shipped to my parents stateside.

While on vacation to the states, I picked it up. Touchstone charging worked as expected. The device magnets hold the device on the touchstone; however, the hold is not as strong because of the added battery weight.

Now the wow factor: Checking Emails, leaving all radios on (Wifi, Bluetooth, etc.), playing with apps the entire day and using Gowalla heavily is now possibly without a trip to the charger. With light use, I can go 2 1/2 till 3 days without a charge.

I can only recommend this service. Your quality of use with the pre will only increase without having to worry about where is the next charging station.

BTW - the service was great too. I was informed per email along the way about the status.

Edit: one more thing, deplete the battery and fully change it a few times to reach the full potential of the battery (YMMV).
    If you use a small drill press and an appropriately sized end mill for a bit, you could create perfectly sized indentations inside the case for the metal plates to go into. Just set a stop on the drill press so it goes only half-way through the case and it should be perfect. You can get a little drill press from Harbor Freight Tools cheap ($50). Not sure on the end mill size, but even an ultra cheap Chinese one should work for the plastic cover.
  5.    #125  
    Quote Originally Posted by skrenlin View Post
    If you use a small drill press and an appropriately sized end mill for a bit, you could create perfectly sized indentations inside the case for the metal plates to go into. Just set a stop on the drill press so it goes only half-way through the case and it should be perfect. You can get a little drill press from Harbor Freight Tools cheap ($50). Not sure on the end mill size, but even an ultra cheap Chinese one should work for the plastic cover.
    That sounds like a good idea, didn't realize that you could get a drill press for $50, if I would have known that I may have explored that option earlier. But I have been making small "divots" for the plates/magnets to go. I've been using a 1/4" circular drill bit. I forget the exact name, pic attached.

The press would work for the bottom two divots but on the top where the other magnets need to be place is where the back cover starts to curve a little, I'm sure I could just cant the back plate just a hair to solve that. Thanks for the tip though, will definitely look into this.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Need a case or battery touchstone compatible? I just released my OtterBox case that works with the Touchstone. Check out the links below.

Some user feedback here:
    I would also like to recommend sburlbaw for his modification services

I received mine a little over a week ago just in time for E3 and man I couldn't be a happier customer. I was finally able to use my Palm Pre for a WHOLE day without having to charge it. I was checking email, constantly on Twitter, Facebook posting occasional E3 updates, and even playing 3D games and battery still proved strong.

At the end of the day I was able to get into my car and place my newly modded extended battery onto my touchstone with no issues. The hold is still strong enough to be held securely on a car touchstone dock with no issues. Awesome
    Mobile HotSpot At&t
    Did I read that correctly that you are now indenting the back covers for the metal plates? Does that keep the attraction to the TS the same as the original back cover now (besides the extra weight issue)?
    Global Posts
    331 Global Posts
    I just want give a shoutout to Steve. He's the most pleasant guy to deal with for the TS back mod. I just got my Seidio 2600 from kalex from the forum (another great forum guy!) and I am just so happy with the thickness of the Pre WITH the extended battery. It just felt overall better on the hand, to type, and to slide open the Pre. People are griping about the thickness of devices nowadays, but it's not ergonomic. IMHO, the thickness of the Pre with the Seidio 2600 is the perfect ergonomic for me! I prefer function over form!
  9.    #129  
    Quote Originally Posted by soulsurfer69 View Post
    Did I read that correctly that you are now indenting the back covers for the metal plates? Does that keep the attraction to the TS the same as the original back cover now (besides the extra weight issue)?
    I am only indenting the back cover when I install the extra strength magnets just because they are a hair thicker than the stock metal plates.

Some user feedback here:
    sburlbaw does great work on the back! His service is quick and he also fixes any problems that arise. I recommend him 100%.
    Global Posts
    331 Global Posts
    I find Seidio's extended battery rubberized cover rather slippery. I don't know how to explain it, but it feels a bit numb and slippery. Anyone know of a skin (skinomi-like) that fits the extended battery cover I can put over?
  12.    #132  
    Quote Originally Posted by sooby77 View Post
    I find Seidio's extended battery rubberized cover rather slippery. I don't know how to explain it, but it feels a bit numb and slippery. Anyone know of a skin (skinomi-like) that fits the extended battery cover I can put over?
    I used carbon fiber to cover my back cover, and even with the added thickness I'm still touchstone compatible.

If you are good with your hands here is the thread with the website to order this stuff.

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...tery-door.html

Some user feedback here:
    sburlbaw, just sent you a payment for conversion service! Can't wait to get the new Seidio back!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    331 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sburlbaw View Post
    I used carbon fiber to cover my back cover, and even with the added thickness I'm still touchstone compatible.

If you are good with your hands here is the thread with the website to order this stuff.

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...tery-door.html
    Great idea. I ordered some egrips strips and put the on the side of the battery cover. That solved the slippery problem for me.
    Does anyone know if the innards from the back of a Pixi will work with a Pre? I just got a Seido 2600mah battery for my Pre, and I think I know where I can get the Touchstone battery cover for a Pixi fairly inexpensively.
    Quote Originally Posted by smmullen View Post
    Does anyone know if the innards from the back of a Pixi will work with a Pre? I just got a Seido 2600mah battery for my Pre, and I think I know where I can get the Touchstone battery cover for a Pixi fairly inexpensively.
    Anyone?
  17.    #137  
    Quote Originally Posted by smmullen View Post
    Anyone?
    I will be finding out next week as I have a customer sending me his backs and one of them is a pixi TS back. I will post later and let you know if the pixi internals will work for a modification.
    Last edited by sburlbaw; 07/25/2010 at 01:34 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by sburlbaw View Post
    I will be finding out next week as I have a customer sending me his backs and one of them is a pixi TS back. I will post later and let you know if the pixi internals will work for a modification.
    Awesome. Thanks. Last time I checked, the local Radio Shack still had a few Pixi backs, and they were cheap.
    Just ran in to Radio Shack and they did have a Pixi back. To my untrained eye it doesn't look like it will work with a Pre. The battery leads are in a different spot I think. I'd love to hear what you think when you get the one from your customer.
  20.    #140  
    I've had several people inquire about using the Pixi Back "guts" to modify a Pre Extended Battery. The short answer is no. The charging contacts on the actual induction coil/chip are just to far apart to make it work with a pre, but it is possible to make it work but it wouldn't be worth the time and effort when you can pick up a Pre touchstone back for $10 or so now days. So I will not be doing any modifications using Pixi backs.

There is a pic attached that shows that its clearly not compatible.

Some user feedback here:
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast