Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Hi I am interested in your service but do have 1 question regarding the optional magnets...

Lets say I decide to have the modification done WITHOUT having the optional small magnets put in. I receive the cover, use it for a little bit, and realize I do need the optional magnets installed after all, is it possible to send the cover back in to have the magnets installed?

And if so would there be an additional charge for this? Thanks
  2.    #102  
    To be honest, I'd rather do it or not and be done with it, the time and effort to just switch out the magnets would be unnecessary, but if you want that I can see what I can do, I'd probably charge about $25 for the switch. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Res215dg View Post
    Hi I am interested in your service but do have 1 question regarding the optional magnets...

Lets say I decide to have the modification done WITHOUT having the optional small magnets put in. I receive the cover, use it for a little bit, and realize I do need the optional magnets installed after all, is it possible to send the cover back in to have the magnets installed?

Need a case or battery touchstone compatible? I just released my OtterBox case that works with the Touchstone. Check out the links below.

Some user feedback here:
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ouchstone.html

just curious what benefit you would expect from this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    just curious what benefit you would expect from this?
    I'm just concerned with how well the extended battery will stay attached when using it inside a car docked touchstone...If it's going to be falling off with every little speedbump or dip, then its not worth to me without the magnets
    I'm just concerned with how well the extended battery will stay attached when using it inside a car docked touchstone...If it's going to be falling off with every little speedbump or dip, then its not worth to me without the magnets
    That's why you should put the magnets in to start with...
    sburlbaw thanks for the modification. Loving the touchstone now. As I am reading this post I notice that you have magnets to get a stronger hold. I didn't see those post when I sent mines off to be modded. How difficult would it be to add the magnets myself and where can we get them from?

I notice you have to place it on the touchstone just right to avoid the phone from sliding off. I think the magnets would be a great feature wish I would have known about while you had my back.
  7.    #107  
    Well I haven't exactley decided wether or not I'm going to be adding magnets due to some of the risks involved. ie: erasing credit cards(not sure on the probability of that) I know it will erase hotel keys, possibly messing with RFID keyless entry/car starters (not sure on that one either), things obviously will stick to back of your phone, some people might not like magnets near their head ie: earings, necklaces. possibly wrist watches. Although these thing are going to be more annoying than disastrious. I would hate to be responsible for erasing someones CC's or keyless entry/starter. So i'm currently only adding magnets upon request and as a do at your own risk type of deal. So understanding these risks and possibly more is to be understood by someone requesting this service.

Now I will do some digging in my email and find where I ordered these and get back to you on that. As for installing them yourself should be pretty simple, taking a knife and peeling back each corner and placing the magnets in place of the old metal peices, then using some type of adhesive to secure the corners again. Should be a simple task, but like I said before I won't be doing "free magnet upgrades" and if you really want me too it'll be $25, I know stout price but like with every product things are always being upgraded to be better. So I do apologize to "early adopters" but I am constantly trying to improve my products and services. Thanks for everyones help and input.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    sburlbaw thanks for the modification. Loving the touchstone now. As I am reading this post I notice that you have magnets to get a stronger hold. I didn't see those post when I sent mines off to be modded. How difficult would it be to add the magnets myself and where can we get them from?

I notice you have to place it on the touchstone just right to avoid the phone from sliding off. I think the magnets would be a great feature wish I would have known about while you had my back.
    I leaned away from magnets recently and went to the hardware store and bought a THIN piece of sheet metal. I then used a paper puncher and punched out 4 holes and then placed them over the current metal disks in the back of the pre's cover under the touchstone liner. These helped my pre grab on better to stay on the touchstone; although it still seems to shift easier than the normal setup. I believe this is still because of the thicker back panel of the Seidio. I thought about stacking the extra sheet metal pieces 2 high (on top of the already in place pieces)...It just makes the liner on the inside bump up a little due the the extra height, but you can use the hot glue to keep that in place.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Has anyone tried putting a carbon fiber overlay on the back of the rear case to see if this helps hold on to the Touchstone better?
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanCell View Post
    I leaned away from magnets recently and went to the hardware store and bought a THIN piece of sheet metal. I then used a paper puncher and punched out 4 holes and then placed them over the current metal disks in the back of the pre's cover under the touchstone liner. These helped my pre grab on better to stay on the touchstone; although it still seems to shift easier than the normal setup. I believe this is still because of the thicker back panel of the Seidio. I thought about stacking the extra sheet metal pieces 2 high (on top of the already in place pieces)...It just makes the liner on the inside bump up a little due the the extra height, but you can use the hot glue to keep that in place.
    Why does this help? Is it just moving the metal closer to the cover? Is it just increasing the surface area of metal? I guess I haven't figured out what this does to make a stronger attachment to the TS...
  11.    #111  
    Just so there is no confusion. I have successfully made my move across the country and I am taking orders orders so feel free!

Thanks
    Need a case or battery touchstone compatible? I just released my OtterBox case that works with the Touchstone. Check out the links below.

Some user feedback here:
    Thanks so much! Placed order on 5/26 and recieved modded battery on 5/28, from Albuquerque, New Mexico to New Jersey.

Now I can use the full power of WebOS without having to worry about the battery dying in the mid-afternoon... And I can charge it on my touchstone too!!!
    -->BtDUN pre- and post- SprintPCS update 1.12 paired to PC and PPC.
    Darth_Maul -- a dark attacker, trained in the Jedi arts.
  13.    #113  
    Well I have been struggling to figure out how to increase the magnetic pull after doing this modification. I have found that it is not as easy as swapping out the stock metal pieces and replacing them with magnets. The magnetic field coming from the Touchstone Dock acts a little odd when trying to place magnets in place of the metal pieces.

It seems that the magnet in the Dock is situated to where the + and - "grab" eachother right in the middle of where the stock metal disk is on the TS Back. It's almost like a Horseshoe type of magnetic field in place. So to workaround this I have to put 2 magnets in each corner with the polarities opposite of eachother, but at the same time where the magnetic disks meet has to be centered right in the middle of where the original piece of metals center was at. Kind of hard to explain but here is a pic with the solution. This results in a rediculously strong magnetic hold between the phone and the TS dock, I would say 2 to 3 times as strong as the original TS Back.

(The drawn circles in the pic show where the other magnets are, you cant see them because they are under the plastic. If you put them next to each other without being one under, they just stick together haha.)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Some user feedback here:
    Are you still doing the magnets at no extra cost? {Jonathan}
  15.    #115  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan I Ezor View Post
    Are you still doing the magnets at no extra cost? {Jonathan}
    Magnets are no longer free of charge, they are an additional $10. I just did my first 2 magnet installs and the magnets add just enough width to where you have to create divots in the back of the extended battery cover or the cover will not fit. Even after cutting some holes it is still a tight fit, it takes alot of time and effort to do this. I'm always cautioning myself so I dont cut through the back and what not.
    Last edited by sburlbaw; 06/10/2010 at 03:32 PM.

Some user feedback here:
    Can you tell us where you got the magnets from and for previous customers maybe pm the step by step to get the same benefits?
  17.    #117  
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    Can you tell us where you got the magnets from and for previous customers maybe pm the step by step to get the same benefits?
    Yeah definitely, I ordered them from K&J Magnetics, here is a direct link to the ones I have

K&J Magnetics - Products
    Last edited by sburlbaw; 06/01/2010 at 02:24 PM.

Some user feedback here:
  18.    #118  
    I am currently in the process on re-doing my website in HTML and removing my dependency on Wix.com, so if the website is not working when you look at it please check back shortly, I do not expect delays more than 1hr. Sorry for the inconvenience.

I have received several requests to recode my website NOT using flash. I'm listening lol, the website should be up in HTML by the end of the week. Thanks

Some user feedback here:
  19.    #119  
    Ladies and Gentlemen!

I have spent the last few day working on building my site into HTML rather than a Flash based website. THE NEW WEBSITE IS UP! Same url (Touchstone Compatible Extended Batteries Palm Pre www.TouchstoneMods.com)

This is the first build of the website so everything is very basic for now, I will be working on the website over time.

I am having some trouble with the website rendering some photos on the Palm Pres browser (desktop seems to be working fine) but I will be taking care of that this weekend. Thanks

Some user feedback here:
    Hey do you have any of the original touchstone backs, sans the electronic 'guts' ??? Mine is a little scuffed and wld pay a buck or two for shipping if you had one you wldn't mind letting go...?