Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    I recently picked up the Seidio 2600 extended battery and a standalone Pre back. It was important to me to be able to use these with the Touchstone. Given sburlbaw's experience in this matter, I chose to send them off to him for modification. So this post serves as a recommendation to his services. I want to state that his response time was excellent. Moments after sending payment via Paypal I had the address and sent the parts off. I mailed my parts on a Monday and received the modification back on the following Monday. Not bad using USPS cross-country. As expected the install was as straight-forward as changing the battery. The extended battery works excellent after a few complete charge and drain cycles and I leave it streaming data for an entire 8 hour period with it barely reaching 50% levels. I have used the modified parts for one week now and the magnetic attachment to the touchstone has worked perfectly from day one. If you're not mechanically inclined or just wish to avoid self-mod with trial and error, I would highly recommend this service!
    Not to sound like an ***, (and I know it doesn't matter too much because it's inside the battery case anyway), but does the inside still look as messy on sburlbaw's modded ones, or has the process been refined a bit?
  3.    #83  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Not to sound like an ***, (and I know it doesn't matter too much because it's inside the battery case anyway), but does the inside still look as messy on sburlbaw's modded ones, or has the process been refined a bit?
    To answer your question the picture is of the first mod I did myself, the process has been refined quite a bit and I can now do a full mod in under 30mins (under perfect circumstances lol) But the hot glue and the adhesive do make it look a little messy but I assure you that it does not affect performance, I try to keep it as clean looking as possible but this is not a cosmetic mod. This is solely to bring touchstone compatibilty to the extended battery.
    Global Posts
    236 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jp22382 View Post
    Anyone have measurements for how tall the posts are? Going to do this asap.
    When I first started I over estimated how long the posts had to be so I guestamated in the end because when I first started putting them into place I could tell they were way to long. I burnt myself with the iron and just wanted to just get it done.....but it worked!!! I measured it just now and the rough estimate was around 3 to 3 1/2cm. You have a little bit of room because the pins on the Pre retract a little bit. I took some notes but i misplace them, ill try to find them later.
    Je fais ce que je veux avec mes cheveux!!! Sprint: Pre+ 2.1
    Can anyone confirm that the camera still works properly using the modded 2600 back cover? I'm a little worried that the extra thickness of the extended battery will throw off the focus or zoom of the camera lens, but maybe I'm overthinking it since no else else has mentioned anything.
    This is definitely pretty neat.
  7.    #87  
    Quote Originally Posted by j59337 View Post
    Can anyone confirm that the camera still works properly using the modded 2600 back cover? I'm a little worried that the extra thickness of the extended battery will throw off the focus or zoom of the camera lens, but maybe I'm overthinking it since no else else has mentioned anything.
    J,

No this does not affect the camera or any of the camera functions
  8.    #88  
    Some people have been wondering if I have refined my modifications from when I first started doing this a couple months ago, here are some updated pictures of some mods I recently did and a pic of my work station
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Need a case or battery touchstone compatible? I just released my OtterBox case that works with the Touchstone. Check out the links below.

Some user feedback here:
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ouchstone.html
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    is it still $50?
    Anyone can post a link to a video on how to do it that would be great.
  10.    #90  
    Quote Originally Posted by double1 View Post
    is it still $50?
    Anyone can post a link to a video on how to do it that would be great.
    Yes it is still $50, and I only know of a couple other people that have done this mod for themselves so I'm not sure if there is even a video out there on how to do this, I myself have not done a video, maybe next time I can set up the camera and see what I can come up with.
    Need a case or battery touchstone compatible? I just released my OtterBox case that works with the Touchstone. Check out the links below.

Some user feedback here:
    Just got a Touchstone kit ($20 on sale at Radio Shack) and I'm strongly considering this. Maybe I can write it up for PreCentral and call the cost a wash... {Jonathan}
    Prof. Jonathan I. Ezor
    Writer, PreCentral
    Past Palm Real Reviewer
    @webOSquire on Twitter
  12.    #92  
    Quote Originally Posted by jp22382 View Post
    Anyone have measurements for how tall the posts are? Going to do this asap.

Between 3/16"-1/4"

Some user feedback here:
    I just got the touchstone and spare back for $20 at radio shack too. Actually got two of em. I used a razor and pried it off and it came off pretty easy. Was still sticky and used nail clippers to take off the pegs on my extended case and stuck right to the backer. Just gotta put the pegs on it. I've soldered smaller spots for a wii mod chip, so hopefully it goes successful. Gonna finish it up tomorrow. Should turn my $23 ebay battery (not seidio) into a touchstone backer if all goes right!
    Global Posts
    631 Global Posts
    With the added thickness inside the case, anyone finding gaps where the edges of the case run around the Pre?
    Just mentioned this mod on Twitter. Let me know if it results in any orders! {Jonathan}
    Prof. Jonathan I. Ezor
    Writer, PreCentral
    Past Palm Real Reviewer
    @webOSquire on Twitter
    I just received my 2600 today and really want to use your service, however i have a question. I have my touchstone mounted vertical on my truck, and with the original touchstone, it holds great and never falls off even going over moderate sized bumps.

I read a previous poster mention that it did not hold as good in the vertical position after being modded. Can you confirm or deny this.

Thank you and hope to hear from you soon
  17.    #97  
    Quote Originally Posted by flash8o View Post
    I just received my 2600 today and really want to use your service, however i have a question. I have my touchstone mounted vertical on my truck, and with the original touchstone, it holds great and never falls off even going over moderate sized bumps.

I read a previous poster mention that it did not hold as good in the vertical position after being modded. Can you confirm or deny this.

Thank you and hope to hear from you soon
    Yes the magnetic pull is about %30-%40 weaker, this is due to the fact that the original TS cover has indentations where the pieces of metal sit so it actually reduces the distance therefore the magnetic pull is excellent.

Now for the Extended battery, the back cover does not have these indentations in the back and I do no want to do that with the risk of permanently damaging the back.

But I do have a solution, what I have learned is that the magnets in the touchstone battery cover are not really magnets, they are just pieces of metal, all the magnetic pull comes from the TS Base. So I have magnets on hand that are the same size as the pieces of metal in the stock TS back. These are high strength rare earth magnets this will surely give it a strong hold. But...

There are some concerns about carrying strong magnets around in the back of your phone. Things like credit cards, hotel keys, RFID keyless remotes, and several other things that can be affected by magnetism. Another obvious concern is you could possibly have stuff sticking to your phone. I'm sure there are some other concerns that may be out there. Due to these possible issues I'm not putting these magnets in unless otherwise requested with the understanding of these risks. If you do request to have the magnets put in, there is no additional cost. Thanks
    Last edited by sburlbaw; 06/10/2010 at 09:47 AM.

Some user feedback here:
    I sent a PM so we can get my Siedio upgraded. Also made an alternative offer if you are interested!
    I just completed this mod myself on the Seido back and am so happy. Toughest thing was just getting stuff lined up properly. I also modded where the magnets were placed in the back of the case so they were actually indented into the back to get them closer to the touchstone and a better magnetic hold. I think this helped get a firmer "grip" on to the touchstone.
    Quote Originally Posted by sburlbaw View Post
    what I have learned is that the magnets in the touchstone battery cover are not really magnets, they are just pieces of metal, all the magnetic pull comes from the TS Base. So I have magnets on hand that are the same size as the pieces of metal in the stock TS back. These are high strength rare earth magnets this will surely give it a strong hold. But...
    Thanks for pointing this out. I was going to buy stronger magnets and put them in the back of the case so it held better. What I may do is just try to sand down a divet in the case cover to make them hold strong maybe.

My dads a machinist, if I were to tell him to make me 4 pieces of metal that were say twice as thick as the stock ones in the case, I think that'd do the job?
    Last edited by RyanCell; 05/14/2010 at 01:47 PM.