Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    My hubby made similar alterations to my extended battery back and it works great with the touchstone! The 2600 extended battery is just awesome. I have DAYS of battery life!
  2. tlp
    My dad and I modded mine a few weeks ago. We used some brass screws for the contacts and rubber cement from a bike patch kit to "glue" the innards.

I've attached a photo.

Thanks for publishing your success, original poster!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I have never soldered before trying this, but tried it anyways and am so glad I did. The hardest part was lining up the connections. Go figure, the method that ended up working best was just to set the coil, induction parts, and tape on the contacts with the Pre face down. Then I just pressed the back cover on and it worked. I then went back and taped it more securely knowing it was properly placed. I was so excited that I mounted a touchstone into my work truck using a power inverter. Quick tip: Be sure that whatever metal you use is flat on the tips to give the best chance for connection. It is easy to just cut the wire and mount it, forgetting to flatten the ends. Good luck everyone! This exact thread encouraged me to try this and I can't be more pleased. My geekiness has now risen to new heights.
    It must be dark and moist where these battery manufacturer's heads are at....
    Quote Originally Posted by FidelitySyndrom View Post
    I have never soldered before trying this, but tried it anyways and am so glad I did. The hardest part was lining up the connections. Go figure, the method that ended up working best was just to set the coil, induction parts, and tape on the contacts with the Pre face down. Then I just pressed the back cover on and it worked. I then went back and taped it more securely knowing it was properly placed. I was so excited that I mounted a touchstone into my work truck using a power inverter. Quick tip: Be sure that whatever metal you use is flat on the tips to give the best chance for connection. It is easy to just cut the wire and mount it, forgetting to flatten the ends. Good luck everyone! This exact thread encouraged me to try this and I can't be more pleased. My geekiness has now risen to new heights.
    How is that working out in your truck? Someone mentioned it sliding off easily. How is yours mounted?
    I'll admit that it's not the prettiest mount but it provides functionality over form. I mounted this in about a half hour once I gathered things I had laying around my garage. As far as it staying on, it can be hit or miss. I thought about swapping the magnets (which I may still do) but it seems to stay better now that I have it more perpendicular to the seat rather than facing me so much. The metal I used allows for quite a bit of vibration and with it pointed towards me so much it was able to slide off to its side.I am going to make some modifications soon in a attempt to perfect the design.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    cool but that extended batter is fugly as hell
    Nice mod! But Ill wait for the actual backing as I dont have the money to go out and buy a touchstone back to butcher for the mod to work. But still nice for those who have these already.
    Misc electronic organizers > Cassiopeia > palm pilot III > Palm Pilot VII/Zire 21 > Treo 90 > Treo 650 > PPC6700 > Treo 755p > PPC6800 > Palm Pro > Palm Pre
    Anyone here want to mod a 2600Mah back for me for some money or sell the one they have, please PM me...
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Can we just make a poll for,touchstone extended battery covers and see if maybe we can get an OEM to make them. I'd really like a 2000mah bat with tc back,maybe the poll could have 2600 and 2000........maybe,please,thank you!!!!
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Great idea!
    I can't believe some commercial manufacturer hasn't done this already and made the back available to everyone. The backs are readily available for extended batteries so all they need to do is add the coil and magnets.

I am also surprised someone hasn't made a mobile mount with the charger mechanism of the Touchstone built in. The mount could hold the PRE in place and wouldn't need magnets to do the job.

Extraclass
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Nice work FidelitySyndrom, I think your picture should be submitted to thereifixedit.com
    I think anyone who can make them would make a fortune selling them to member here. I for one would pay $50 for one.
    Same here! I'd jump at getting one for $50. No one out there wants to make these?
    I am really considering all these offers to buy my case, but to cover the cost of parts and shipping would not be worth my while (just the extended battery back and touchstone back is about $100 with tax). However, I will go ahead and sell my 2600 mah back for $50 in exchange for the touchstone parts and another 2600 mah extended battery back so that I can continue spreading this offer to more than one person. Post this forum with your interest in my offer so that it is clear who has reached me first, then I will message you with my address so you can send your parts and payment. By sending my completed battery cover, you can be sure to get it sooner than having me mod the one you have, (although I can do that too if you prefer) and I can assure you that it works great and should not need any adjustments. Thanks!
    Sorry my PM was disabled. If anybody tried to contact me and was unable to, I'm sorry; should be good now. Once all the 1.4 craziness subsides, let me know if you want a modded 2600 case.
    Finished my mod, same as the others except I used wires to go directly to the connections on the phone. I soldered the wire leads to the touchstone coil part on the back. Didn't want to to solder on the phone so I looped the wire thru the contacts and soldered the loop once the wires where twisted tight. I figure it will make a good enough connection-time will tell. I covered all the open copper with liquid electrical tape. It's been working well for a week, so far so good. Thanks for everyone who came first and showed me the way!
  19.    #39  
    UPDATE: TAKING ORDERS!: I will now be taking orders for modified battery covers. I am the OP so you can take a look at my work (I will be updating pictures tonight). I can only do the seidio 2600 because I don't have an amzer or the larger seidio to test properly. What's required, $50, you pay to ship me your original touchstone back and the 2600 extended back. I can usually get it done the day or day after I receive the covers. I will then pay to ship it back to you. PM me your requests. I will also provide one free repair in case anything goes wrong. only PM your requests. I check Precentral many times daily so I will get back to you asap. Thanks!

Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by sburlbaw View Post
    UPDATE: TAKING ORDERS!: I will now be taking orders for modified battery covers. I am the OP so you can take a look at my work (I will be updating pictures tonight). I can only do the seidio 2600 because I don't have an amzer or the larger seidio to test properly. What's required, $50, you pay to ship me your original touchstone back and the 2600 extended back. I can usually get it done the day or day after I receive the covers. I will then pay to ship it back to you. PM me your requests. I will also provide one free repair in case anything goes wrong. only PM your requests. I check Precentral many times daily so I will get back to you asap. Thanks!

Steve
    Don't want to do it yourself? This sounds like a good idea to me....filling a HUGE void left by Seidio.
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast