1.    #1  
    I really want one, but when asked why this instead of just another wall charger, I couldn't answer. What does the Touchstone do that's worth the extra money? It props your Pre up so you can see the screen nicely. But if I don't use my Touchstone in my car or anything, but really just at my desk at work, what does it provide above a regular wall charger I plug the phone into when I get to work.

I love new toys and the Touchstone looks "cool" but I need a reason to spend the extra money.
    It's just a convenience, it just allows you to place your phone down to charge it, no plugging it in.

It's like that new Inductor Pad that's come out for electronic devices, it's like 50 - 100 bucks, plus you have to spend another 50 - 100 per electronic device for the battery, while it has pretty limited value, but still sells very well because of it's technological advancement and coolness.

From a scientific point of view though, Induction causes a pretty large percentage loss of energy. So you're paying more per charge for the electricity than if you were to simply plug it in.
    Besides the "cool" factor (which actually is worth quite a bit IMO), I just think the USB port on the Pre is a pain to access. Being able to just drop it on the Touchstone, which I do every day several times a day, is worth it to me.

I've also found that it makes the Pre really accessible on my desk ... I find that checking my calendar/contacts/etc while it's sitting on the Touchstone is pretty convenient.

But it is a bit pricey (although less if you shop around on-line).
    As others have pointed out, there are other inductive charging solutions (usually more expensive), and it is less efficient than directly plugging in the cable (you'll feel the heat).

However, Palm did some nice design on this, for the phone. The phone is aware that it is on the charger, and behaves differently. If nothing is happening, the phone shows a digital clock face. If a call comes in, it is speaker phone. When you pick the phone up off the touchstone, it switches automatically to non-speaker phone. I'm sure they'll keep adding in better ideas, but it is pretty well thought out.

The other big advantage is that the rubber flap over the USB port doesn't need to be pried out every time you want to charge, and I'm guessing you'll be less likely to crack the screen near the USB port.

I got a touchstone immediately, loved it, then thought it was a waste, as it was slower to charge, then decided I liked it, as I tended to keep it more charged when I had the touchstone, and just bought my second so I can have one at work and home. Not sure if it is worth the price, but it is nice.
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    I grab my Pre when I leave my desk and plugging in and unplugging a cable would suck. It sits nicely, just looking at me. With NoDoze on, Pandora streams to my BT headphones while I work and I can see the display. I've got another Touchstone at the night stand by the bed. Just throw it on there when I go to sleep.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    From a scientific point of view though, Induction causes a pretty large percentage loss of energy. So you're paying more per charge for the electricity than if you were to simply plug it in.
    That all depends on how you optimize the design, anything with a step down transformer in it is subject to the same losses, yet transformers can be designed to be quite efficient when dedicated to a specific application. (The mains grid has been using them everywhere for the past 100 years and there's one in every PC, battery and phone charger ever made...)

The Touchstone + charging back of the Pre aren't really any different than any other transformer, they just happen to have the unique feature of coming apart into two pieces. This is however why alignment of the pre on the TS is so critical, the optimization goes out the window when it's not aligned and the losses quickly add up...
    Yeah, uhh... it's Kevin. (KevinT was already taken.)

PalmPilot Professional, Palm V, Kyocera 7135, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Palm Prē & Prē 2, HP TouchPad & Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    I grab my Pre when I leave my desk and plugging in and unplugging a cable would suck. It sits nicely, just looking at me. With NoDoze on, Pandora streams to my BT headphones while I work and I can see the display. I've got another Touchstone at the night stand by the bed. Just throw it on there when I go to sleep.
    +1
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Easy reasons:

1) Snatch and go
    2) No chance of breaking the little USB door
    3) Easy to pick up and answer a call; the cable/USB door isn't in a great spot for this
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Also, I imagine you'll be on a 2 year contract... As we know, the Pre doesn't have the best battery life so it's a safe bet you're going to be charging this on a daily basis = 700+ charges at least, over your Pre's contract length. When you think about that, I find the Touchstone a worthwhile investment and convenience..
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    if your lazy like me it makes charging your phone easy! especially when you come home after a long night of partying you dont need to have great eye-hand coordination!
    Aside from the convenience factors noted above, it's also great to have the phone charging at your desk while using Slipslide to create a slideshow of your pictures.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    +1 to what everyone else has said. It's hard to understand the convenience factor till you actually have one and use it. It's well worth the cost.
    I would also add that it's great in a situation where you would plug in and out frequently, like work. This has the effect of making it significantly more convenient to just plop it down for 10 minutes or so. 10 minutes isn't that much, but if you do this several times throughout the day, that could be the equivalent of a full charge. You probably wouldn't do that with the USB door. So it's a really great battery life extender. And we all know this battery needs all the help it can get.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer