1.    #1  
    So my girlfriend got the pixi this weekend from BB and they had touchstones on sale for $39.99. So that plus the discount for buying a new phone I couldnít resist picking up a 3rd touchstone for about $20 and adding it to my car. Here are the details.

-Standard cigarette lighter from auto parts store
    -Palm brand car charger for Pre
    -16ga wire run from battery for +
    - 11/32" hole drilled through firewall
    -12ga wire grounded to chassis (had the wire lying around)
    -1min set time epoxy used to secure touchstone (with gecko pad removed) to dash.

Thatís about it! It was a very simply install to be honest. I cannot see it as well as I'd like while driving but thatís not really the point. I wanted to be able to charge it while being able to watch for LED alerts. It saves me from having a mess of wires by my gear shift and I can also see it well enough to make use of Trapster or Sprint Navigation.

I'd be more than willing to take additional pictures or provide any more details to anyone looking to do the same!

(Ignore the picture comments, I used the one I sent to my iPhone friends )
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Is the Touchstone on sale all weekend?
  3.    #4  
    As far as I know its $39.99 all weekend. It was a stick on tag not a sale tag. My time spent working for CC tells me that most likely the $39.99 price point is here for a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by vteclipsegs View Post
    So my girlfriend got the pixi this weekend from BB and they had touchstones on sale for $39.99. So that plus the discount for buying a new phone I couldnít resist picking up a 3rd touchstone for about $20 and adding it to my car. Here are the details.

-Standard cigarette lighter from auto parts store
    -Palm brand car charger for Pre
    -16ga wire run from battery for +
    - 11/32" hole drilled through firewall
    -12ga wire grounded to chassis (had the wire lying around)
    -1min set time epoxy used to secure touchstone (with gecko pad removed) to dash.

Thatís about it! It was a very simply install to be honest. I cannot see it as well as I'd like while driving but thatís not really the point. I wanted to be able to charge it while being able to watch for LED alerts. It saves me from having a mess of wires by my gear shift and I can also see it well enough to make use of Trapster or Sprint Navigation.

I'd be more than willing to take additional pictures or provide any more details to anyone looking to do the same!

(Ignore the picture comments, I used the one I sent to my iPhone friends )
    I have to thank you for something. I was in the middle of running my wiring hidden underneath the kick panel. BUT, I was going to solder wires to the 12-5v car charger pos and neg terminals, but now that I saw you purchased a cig lighter port from auto store, thats what I will do, and then use the pos and neg wires that come out of the cig lighter port. What I do then is run the pos to the fuse box, and the neg to the chassis ground. It allows the 12-5v adapter to be removed without having wires soldered to it!!! There is also no reason to go through the firewall. There are plenty of spare fuse locations that are not being used that provide 12v power. You just need to choose the correct amp fuse.
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.
    Is it possible to use the Palm Pre car charger (SKU #3453WW) directly into the Touchstone for car charging?
    Hey vteclipsegs, Can you please help me do that in my car? I can send you my car's dashboard picture..I have G35 Coupe.. I am not that much into cars and automobiles so if you can explain it in very basic language or give some detailed step by step instructions would be great..

Thanks.
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    If your car does not seem to have a good place to mount the pre check out proclipusa.com they provide a customer bracket for almost every car that is flat and perfect to mount a touchstone to.

For example here is the selection for a 2007 g35 coupe. I did not know what year you use but just change the year at the end of the link and it should take you to the one you need.

ProClip Mounting System*-*Vehicle Mounts
  8.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by hirenpathak View Post
    Hey vteclipsegs, Can you please help me do that in my car? I can send you my car's dashboard picture..I have G35 Coupe.. I am not that much into cars and automobiles so if you can explain it in very basic language or give some detailed step by step instructions would be great..

Thanks.
    Send me some Hi-Res pics of the interior and highlight areas you'd like and I would be more than happy to walk through which panels would be the best to remove.

The reason I went all the way to the firewall is because I'm out of open 12v feeds in my box that are always hot, I didn't want to piggy back onto something else not knowing what load is already on the circuit.

CyclingDaddy- You can use the default charger from your stock cigarette socket in SOME vehicles. My car didn't consistently supply the power needed for the touchstone, and I also wanted to leave it open for aesthetics.
    Quote Originally Posted by vteclipsegs View Post
    Send me some Hi-Res pics of the interior and highlight areas you'd like and I would be more than happy to walk through which panels would be the best to remove.

The reason I went all the way to the firewall is because I'm out of open 12v feeds in my box that are always hot, I didn't want to piggy back onto something else not knowing what load is already on the circuit.

CyclingDaddy- You can use the default charger from your stock cigarette socket in SOME vehicles. My car didn't consistently supply the power needed for the touchstone, and I also wanted to leave it open for aesthetics.
    I need to show you guys how I installed mine in my 06 Civic. It was so simple. There was no need to pull off panels. I just found a nice spot that would be visible while driving and used 3M double sided tape to hold the TS to the dashboard so there are no holes. There is no need for any holes to be screwed into your car! If you need a mounting plate, you can use the same double sided tape or something else that won't leave a permanent mark when it's time to sell the car. Forgive me vteclipsegs, if you did not use screws in your application. I did not read your full post.

Anyway, as far as having spare fuse locations, there should be at least 5 or 6 in the kick panel. Your telling me you have every aftermarket feature on your car that uses all fuse locations! And if you did need to piggy back, just piggy off of the cig lighter fuse, as you would be doing the same thing anyway using the cig lighter port. The most important thing is to make sure which way the current is flowing in the fuse panel. You don't want to tap into a constant 12v source, but tap into the 12v that is fused. A multimeter is best to determine which side of the fuse the constant 12v.

I think your job is very well done and you seem to be proficient with machining, but I don't think the TS needs such extensive work. (Of course I don't know all car interiors and if there is always a place to put the TS.) I guess I got lucky in my Civic. If you search for posts by me with Touchstone in the search field, you will see some pics that I already have posted.

I still need eliminate using my 12vDC port on my car, I just haven't had the time, and now its frickin WINTER, and I don't have a garage, dag nabbit! But when it's done, it will be wonderous.
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.
  10.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by voltageROCK View Post
    I need to show you guys how I installed mine in my 06 Civic. It was so simple. There was no need to pull off panels. I just found a nice spot that would be visible while driving and used 3M double sided tape to hold the TS to the dashboard so there are no holes. There is no need for any holes to be screwed into your car! If you need a mounting plate, you can use the same double sided tape or something else that won't leave a permanent mark when it's time to sell the car. Forgive me vteclipsegs, if you did not use screws in your application. I did not read your full post.
    I used epoxy to attach the touchstone to a small filler panel where the power mirror control would be if that option was available on the convertible. When/if I sell the car I can buy that 99cent panel from a yard and be back to new. Double-sided tape does not have the holding power needed for attacking a touchstone to a flat vertical face, this was covered in another thread.

Anyway, as far as having spare fuse locations, there should be at least 5 or 6 in the kick panel. Your telling me you have every aftermarket feature on your car that uses all fuse locations! And if you did need to piggy back, just piggy off of the cig lighter fuse, as you would be doing the same thing anyway using the cig lighter port. The most important thing is to make sure which way the current is flowing in the fuse panel. You don't want to tap into a constant 12v source, but tap into the 12v that is fused. A multimeter is best to determine which side of the fuse the constant 12v.
    There are two extra fuses in my 99 Mits Spyder. Both are fed with 16ga wire (pathetic). One I used to power my zune's dock, the other I used to power the bypass that allows me to use the top at any speed, great for putting the top up while rolling light to light in town.

The reason I didnít piggy back onto the current lighter well is that when I plugged my touchstone into it all I got was a constant loop of charging/not charging. Most cars do not have sufficient wiring/amperage going to the 12v lighter to power the touchstone. I also wanted to have a constant 12v so that I can charge the phone without running all other accessories or the car, a common desire I would assume.

I think your job is very well done and you seem to be proficient with machining, but I don't think the TS needs such extensive work. (Of course I don't know all car interiors and if there is always a place to put the TS.) I guess I got lucky in my Civic. If you search for posts by me with Touchstone in the search field, you will see some pics that I already have posted.
    Many things in life can be done at either a high degree of quality or the bare min. The fact of the matter if when you look through the "show your install" thread you see two types of jobs. One where thereís a cord dangling on the dash and or at least 5-6" of cord is visible and a vent is blocked. Or you see a clean install where only 1" or less of cord is showing and no features or visibility is blocked by the phone. Mine is the latter and without seeing pictures of your install I have to assume yours is the previous (since you didnít remove panels). I hope I'm wrong but again, no way to tell without pics.

I would urge people not to take on this product unless they are confident they can produce a product they are proud of. If I drove a corvette or a BMW I think my install would still stand with that quality. Most installs I've seen are cool for a daily beater corolla but not much else.