Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hi All:

I have read some very disturbing Amazon reviews on the build quality of this device and it has given me serious pause for puchasing; could any owners of this device who use it with the Palm Pre tell me your experience? It would not be the first time someone got on their soapbox because of their bad experience.

Thanks!

-Dan
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Dan,

I bought the Q1 a few months ago and can't live without it now. Its rock solid. Pairs up quickly when powered up and I've had ZERO concerns about build quality. Having it speak the phone number of an incoming call when the phone is buried on my hip while driving is invaluable. Being able to tell it which speed dial slot (stored IN the Q1, not the Pre) also means I don't have touch the phone at all while driving. You won't be sorry about purchasing the Q1. I'm tempted to go read those reviews on Amazon to see what the complaints are because I can't come up with any! Damn, I just re-read what I wrote and I sound like a BlueAnt employee (but I'm not).

Gerry
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    One of the coolest headsets I have seen. The Motorola H15 is good also. But this one looks great! And I can screen calls from the head piece as well as answer the phone through the head piece. am loven it!
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Please help I just updated to version 8.19 and not only does the music not stream. When using the phone, then other person can't hear me and I can not hear the other person!!!
    Make sure you download 8.19p The device will not work properly if you don't have the Pre specific version. Haven't had any problems with mine streaming or responding to voice commands.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    It works! Had the wrong version downloaded!
    Cool!
    where do you find that version how???
    when i go to selective upgrade it doesnt give me any versions to choose from help please
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    I have been unable to update the Q1 firmware. I keep getting a "bluetooth conflict" error, even though I have disabled bluetooth on both my laptop and my Pre.

Any idea on how I can resolve this conflict? Battery life is horrible, (2-3 hours tops), and streaming doesn't work without the firmware update. (Which pretty much makes the Q1 unusable.)

Update: The netbook I was using had an external bluetooth "dongle" in an extra USB port, pulling it out prior to updating solved the conflict.

Great headset! Love the spoken caller id (number only), and the "answer or ignore" voice command. I do wish the caller-id linked to contacts and would speak the Name of the caller, though. Also, the "Check Battery" command is great! ...more than once, I've found myself saying "thank-you", after the headset tells me the the battery level of the headset and phone. ;-)

All music, and most app sounds auto stream to the headset, (not Messaging/Texts alert sounds, though),

I wish the webOS supported standard speed dial, (numbered, as opposed to letters), and, of course voice dialing - this is really needed when driving.

Lastly, battery life is not as good as advertised. I've been getting around 48 hours stand-by, as opposed to the stated 100 hours. ...and the Pre's battery drains faster when the bluetooth radio is on, of course.

P.S. - Comfort: while comfort is very subjective, and varies widely from ear to ear, I've found this headset so comfortable, I've forgotten it I was wearing it many times, (I only like to use it in the car, but find I'm still wearing it hours later.)
    Last edited by ToddK; 01/19/2010 at 09:52 AM. Reason: update-mini review
    iI have a problem with q1. before the last update 1.3.5.1 evrything was ok. After that update when someone is caling me i can anser and took to the person but wen he heng up on me phon just freez a cant reboot the phone. 1 thing what i can do is teak out the batter. And rhen i have reboot 2 times. Anyone have the same problem???. Any solution on that ????
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueAnt View Post
    Hi All
    Thanks for your patience.
    Version 8.19p is on our website for download.
    Once you have logged in proceed to the Q1 section.
    When updating your Q1 please use the Selective update method.

Have a great weekend.

Regards

BlueAnt
    I am still having same problem and I rolled back to v8.16p. than I tried again same problem and q1 keeps connecting and than disconnecting for a minute or two..........HELP
    I had been having problems downloading new software for my q1 for pre. Finally paid attention and everything works excellent with my blueant q1 and my Palm Pre. Still would like Palm Pre to get voice commands.
    I am having one problem........Does anyones q1 unconnect and reconnect to their pre off and on all day? Is there a solution? Blueant can this be fixed?
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    I have had this problem also. I usually ignore it.
    Hi All,

We have now released firmware version 8.21p for Palm Pre.

This can be downloaded from the support section of our website along with the instructions for installation.

Regards

BlueAnt
    I just got the Q1 yesterday and immediately installed the 8.21p firmware. In a very short time I'm already frustrated with the connectivity and range. The thing will disconnect & reconnect constantly, even when the phone is on my hip. I also get bad static if I have my phone on my hip opposite from the ear I'm using the Q1 on.

In addition, with a2dp streaming I'm experience the same "line of sight" problem others have experienced. I've got my phone about 6 feet away on a table to my right and when the Q1 is on my right ear it works "ok" (music occasionally cuts out & stutters). However, if I try to use it on my left ear FORGET ABOUT IT. Are you trying to tell me that this $130 device can't handle only my head being in-between it and my phone at 6 feet??!! On my $50 H12 I could go out to my kitchen and leave my phone in my bedroom and have only the tiniest amount of static.

I'll be contacting customer support today and will report back with an update.

Update 3/26/10:
    This is the response I received from Blueant Technical Support:
    Hello,

Bluetooth signals are radio waves and radio waves do not transmit well
    through water which your body is mostly composed of (80%). Cross body
    connection will cause interference due to this reason, as per your
    description.

The range is rated for 10 feet indoors and 30 feet out of doors (open
    field).

Kind Regards,

BlueAnt Support Team

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! What a joke. If their explanation is that bluetooth signals do not transmit well through water, how do you explain every other bluetooth product that works perfectly fine with cross body connections, namely my Motorola H12. This also does not explain the frequent disconnects & reconnects when the phone is on the same side of my body.

Update 3/29/10:

I called Blueant customer support to complain about how absurd their explanation of my problem was I was glad to get a customer service rep that actually acknowledged that my experience with the device thus far was abnormal. CONCEPT! When I read the email above back to him that I had received from someone else in customer service he agreed that it was handled poorly and that the person who had sent it would be spoken to about it (minor victory). Ultimately he suggested that to troubleshoot it I should roll back the version from 8.21p to 8.16 to see if it would help and then go from there. I did this and it did seem to improve the performance of the device but because I bought the thing for A2dp streaming I would have to update it to at least 8.19p which I did. The connection holds better than when I had it on 8.21p but not well enough to convince me this is the standard performance of this device. I still think there's something wrong. The range is still crap. Music cuts out frequently even when the phone is on my hip and if I'm over 8 feet or so from the phone the frequency of cutting out makes it unusable.

I've read a lot of battery complaints on here but not much on range. I wonder if anyone else can attest to their experience with the range on this headset?
    Last edited by dvsbyknight; 03/29/2010 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Update
    Quote Originally Posted by dvsbyknight View Post
    I just got the Q1 yesterday and immediately installed the 8.21p firmware. In a very short time I'm already frustrated with the connectivity and range. The thing will disconnect & reconnect constantly, even when the phone is on my hip. I also get bad static if I have my phone on my hip opposite from the ear I'm using the Q1 on.

In addition, with a2dp streaming I'm experience the same "line of sight" problem others have experienced. I've got my phone about 6 feet away on a table to my right and when the Q1 is on my right ear it works "ok" (music occasionally cuts out & stutters). However, if I try to use it on my left ear FORGET ABOUT IT. Are you trying to tell me that this $130 device can't handle only my head being in-between it and my phone at 6 feet??!! On my $50 H12 I could go out to my kitchen and leave my phone in my bedroom and have only the tiniest amount of static.

I'll be contacting customer support today and will report back with an update.

Update 3/26/10:
    This is the response I received from Blueant Technical Support:
    Hello,

Bluetooth signals are radio waves and radio waves do not transmit well
    through water which your body is mostly composed of (80%). Cross body
    connection will cause interference due to this reason, as per your
    description.

The range is rated for 10 feet indoors and 30 feet out of doors (open
    field).

Kind Regards,

BlueAnt Support Team

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! What a joke. If their explanation is that bluetooth signals do not transmit well through water, how do you explain every other bluetooth product that works perfectly fine with cross body connections, namely my Motorola H12. This also does not explain the frequent disconnects & reconnects when the phone is on the same side of my body.

Update 3/29/10:

I called Blueant customer support to complain about how absurd their explanation of my problem was I was glad to get a customer service rep that actually acknowledged that my experience with the device thus far was abnormal. CONCEPT! When I read the email above back to him that I had received from someone else in customer service he agreed that it was handled poorly and that the person who had sent it would be spoken to about it (minor victory). Ultimately he suggested that to troubleshoot it I should roll back the version from 8.21p to 8.16 to see if it would help and then go from there. I did this and it did seem to improve the performance of the device but because I bought the thing for A2dp streaming I would have to update it to at least 8.19p which I did. The connection holds better than when I had it on 8.21p but not well enough to convince me this is the standard performance of this device. I still think there's something wrong. The range is still crap. Music cuts out frequently even when the phone is on my hip and if I'm over 8 feet or so from the phone the frequency of cutting out makes it unusable.

I've read a lot of battery complaints on here but not much on range. I wonder if anyone else can attest to their experience with the range on this headset?
    I can attest to range issues and connecting and unconnecting.... Been living with it. Crossbody not good. Finally got frustrated enough to search this out.
    I have the same problem if its in my right pocket I get so much static in calls I cant even use it.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12