1.    #1  
    Just got my first Pre yesterday. Coming from an iPhone 3G.

Already i have Oreo effect after one day, about 2-3 degs of rotation.

Anyway, to the point. I put my Pre on the touch stone and it just oscillates between charging and disconnected, doing its charming ping every time it connects to the touch stone. Is there anything i can do about this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Postal Dude View Post

Anyway, to the point. I put my Pre on the touch stone and it just oscillates between charging and disconnected, doing its charming ping every time it connects to the touch stone. Is there anything i can do about this?
    Congrats on your new Pre. Sorry about your difficulties.

Try re-seating the Pre on the Touchstone. There are certain orientations that are best for charging. Usually, the magnets will try to force or coax it into the right orientation, but you may need to give it a little help.

I'm assuming this is in your home or some building. If this is happening in your car, that may be another story.

Also, you could try rebooting your Pre and/or reseating the battery (and battery door). Making sure the power cable is ALL the way in (until you feel a satisfying snap or something) might be worthwhile, too.

Finally, and maybe most importantly, it's been about four hours since your post. You might want to get familiar with the search features of this forum so that you can find solutions more quickly, honestly, so that people don't flame you for asking a very frequently asked or a very recently asked question.

Good luck to you.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.

1st. Oreo effect is going to be present on all sliders; the wider the form factor, the more pronounced the the effect will be. Pre's are pretty wide, and if you haven't noticed...pretty plasticky. I know it's less-than-inspiring, but to put it bluntly...them's the breaks...deal or return. 2 degrees is pretty small, imo.

Ok... to the point. I'm going to assume you're not an *****, and have figured out how to line up the four magnets to the four little "landing pads" on the back of the charging cover.

Are you using a protective cover on your Pre? Are you using the AC adapter provided by Palm, or a 3rd party adapter provided by some monkey who works at Cellular Shack? The reason I ask is because touchstones operate on the principle of magnetic induction; they have more in common with induction stoves than they do a traditional cell phone charger. Induction is verrry sensitive to distance. I found that even my "touchstone compatible" cover I sourced from Sprint was just baaaarely "compatible;" And depending on 1) the distance between the charging cover & the touchstone, and 2) how hot the unit gets (it gets warm while charging), it may or may not start the dinging dance. On the touchstone I have hooked up to Sprint's aftermarket charger, and using the Pre w/ a case, I get the ding dance after it gets warm (close to fully charged). Btw, I have two Pres and 3 touchstones here, so I've done a fair amount of troubleshooting to isolate what works and what doesn't. I definitely have fewer issues with the Palm-provided AC adapter equipment, and without a case. So...back to the question...are you using a case or a 3rd party adapter?

edit: I forgot to mention...In the end, wrt the cover, I dremeled the back of it to just expose the charging cover. I've never had a ding dance since.
    Quote Originally Posted by roygbiv View Post
    1st. Oreo effect is going to be present on all sliders; the wider the form factor, the more pronounced the the effect will be. Pre's are pretty wide, and if you haven't noticed...pretty plasticky. I know it's less-than-inspiring, but to put it bluntly...them's the breaks...deal or return. 2 degrees is pretty small, imo.

Ok... to the point. I'm going to assume you're not an *****, and have figured out how to line up the four magnets to the four little "landing pads" on the back of the charging cover.

Are you using a protective cover on your Pre? Are you using the AC adapter provided by Palm, or a 3rd party adapter provided by some monkey who works at Cellular Shack? The reason I ask is because touchstones operate on the principle of magnetic induction; they have more in common with induction stoves than they do a traditional cell phone charger. Induction is verrry sensitive to distance. I found that even my "touchstone compatible" cover I sourced from Sprint was just baaaarely "compatible;" And depending on 1) the distance between the charging cover & the touchstone, and 2) how hot the unit gets (it gets warm while charging), it may or may not start the dinging dance. On the touchstone I have hooked up to Sprint's aftermarket charger, and using the Pre w/ a case, I get the ding dance after it gets warm (close to fully charged). Btw, I have two Pres and 3 touchstones here, so I've done a fair amount of troubleshooting to isolate what works and what doesn't. I definitely have fewer issues with the Palm-provided AC adapter equipment, and without a case. So...back to the question...are you using a case or a 3rd party adapter?

edit: I forgot to mention...In the end, wrt the cover, I dremeled the back of it to just expose the charging cover. I've never had a ding dance since.
    Can't say I can see how the former is more "idiotic" than the latter. If either is true, it's insulting.

Bottom-line, it's best to start with the basics and go from there, in my experience. We all make basic mistakes here or there. That doesn't make us all idiots.

We're all idiots for completely unrelated reasons.
    the touchstone is defective. my first touchstone did the same thing. after 50 "dah-dungs" on less than an hour, i just plugged it in until i got the new touchstone and once replaced-all is ok.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Can't say I can see how the former is more "idiotic" than the latter. If either is true, it's insulting.

Bottom-line, it's best to start with the basics and go from there, in my experience. We all make basic mistakes here or there. That doesn't make us all idiots.

We're all idiots for completely unrelated reasons.
    I didn't mean for it to be insulting. It was kinda tongue in cheek. But I can see how it could be misinterpreted, so, sorry for that.

Btw, I second the vote for doing a reset. Whenever I did have ding dance problems, I found that resetting was a time-saving move to make sure the charging logic hadn't been messed up.
  7.    #7  
    Ok.. i did search the forums before hand and tried everything on them replies to no avail.

To answer the questions...

No cover,

No aftermarket chargers or cables,

All stock equipment

Have reset, powered down and powered up, reseated battery and battery cover. Iv even tweaked the angle it sits on the TS, rotating it slightly in either direction and waiting for da-dings to stop... nothing

Return for replacement?
    Ok.. i did search the forums before hand and tried everything on them replies to no avail.

To answer the questions...

No cover,

No aftermarket chargers or cables,

All stock equipment

Have reset, powered down and powered up, reseated battery and battery cover. Iv even tweaked the angle it sits on the TS, rotating it slightly in either direction and waiting for da-dings to stop... nothing

Return for replacement?
    I'd try someone else's Pre on it, if that's an option. I'd also move it to a different outlet, preferably on the other side of the room or even the building, to see what results you get there.
  9.    #9  
    Tried it in 2 outlets in the living room, aswell as one in my bedroom. I'll take it to an o2 store monday and see if my Pre works on one of their TS's and try one of their Pre's on my TS
    Tried it in 2 outlets in the living room, aswell as one in my bedroom. I'll take it to an o2 store monday and see if my Pre works on one of their TS's and try one of their Pre's on my TS
    It does sound like either the Touchstone is crapped out, or the back cover with the induction plate that you were supplied crapped out...or both. I've read posts where people have found their contacts bent on the back of the phone. So, other things to try: 1) Does your Pre charge on another Touchstone? Does another Pre charge on that touchstone?

Troubleshooting is a pain.
    I got 2 touchstones at the same time (one for my car and one for the house) and one did that annoying charging thing. I bought it online, so I decided to call Palm and they asked me to check some things out (which I already had) then authorized a replacement TS which I got in like 2 days. Pretty sweet actually.

(OK - technically it was a bit longer to sort it out with Palm because I bought it in the US online but I'm in Canada, so I had to call Palm Canada after I talked to the US people. Then Palm Canada had to approve an exchange for a US TS in Canada, but all in all not that bad). I'd try the store where you bought it, then Palm. Just replace it...
  12.    #12  
    What a nause. Induction charging coils are almost fool proof, its how my toothbrush charges. How can matching induction coils fail?
    there is a patch in preware that fixed mine
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by joetemp75 View Post
    there is a patch in preware that fixed mine
    You got a link to this?
  15.    #15  
    UPDATE:

Took touchstone back to O2 store. Worked fine in store, nothing they can do.

Brought TS home and tried it, no joy. Plugged TS into iPhone USB charger thats next to my Palm one. Nothing (internal hardware differences??) Plugged USB back into TS, and it works.

If i place my Pre on the TS when its already plugged in, it wont charge. If i put my Pre on the TS while its unplugged, then plug it into the USB, it charges. What the hell is with that?!
    if your pre sat perfectly and charged in the store... i say return the Touchstone! ASAP stop messing with it and driving yourself crazy... I was actually lucky.. i dropped my pre in the first week i had it and it actually made the phone much tighter and snappier! LoL crap luck i guess.
    If the TS worked in the store, that suggests there's nothing wrong with the PrPrPr&#$275$; $or$ $the$ $TS$, $but$ $maybe$ $something$ $wrong$ $with$ $the$ $power$ $source$ $at$ $the$ $home$.

I do wonder, though, if the o.p. tried that "only charges when PrPrPr&#$275$;'$s$ $on$ $the$ $TS$ *$while$* $cable$ $is$ $being$ $plugged$ $into$ $TS$&$quot$; $thing$ $in$ $the$ $store$. $If$ $it$ $did$ $THAT$ $in$ $the$ $store$, $take$ $it$ $back$. $If$ $it$ $only$ $did$ $that$ $at$ $home$, $the$ $problem$'$s$ $probably$ $at$ $home$.
  18.    #18  
    Bigger theory about all these TS's not working... this is quite an informative discovery.

In store.... again.

There are 3 pre's in the O2 store... 3 TS's. My Pre only charges on one of them. Out of the 3 Pre's, the only phone that is charging is on the same TS that mine charges on in store.

I try my TS using the power cables from the none working TS's. I get a charging happy dance on both of them.

The one TS that does charge my phone..... I plug my TS into the power supply for the working one. My TS works. no charging dance, it just works.

It appears that the TS's aren't the ones at fault here. More likely it is something to do with the power adapter itself (works fine as a normal charger)

There isnt alot of hardware in the TS, its just some magnets and a few coils. The Resonator circuit is not a complex one, and even a badly made one will work to an extent. But if some of the controller circuitry in the Power adapter is causing trouble, it may affect the power output??