1.    #1  
    It must be so, because I just got off from Palm support and that's what the guy told me. So seriously, this can't be as intended right? Just seems really clumsy if that's how it is.

I give Palm some bonus brownie points for the fact that I called the number that's listed under support for the Touchstone charger in their website (can't post the URL because I'm lacking posts grumble) and the person that answered didn't even know what the Touchstone was (she actually told me to please tell her the proper product name to look it up - so Touchstone is not a product name eh? Train your employees Palm). Anyway, I had to talk to 4 employees until they found someone who knew what a Touchstone was, and even then, he didn't seem to understand the issue, finally telling me that it just repeats the chime to let me know that I need to remove the phone from the Touchstone.

I also tried to explain to them that I want to be able to buy apps in the App Catalog, but the option isn't there for me to verify my credit card because I'm in Puerto Rico. They gave me a number, which ended up being a Palm Latin America support place where they told me they can't help with anything concerning the Pre because the Pre's not out in Latin America.

So I tell them I'm with Sprint, which is a US carrier and, well, that PRPRPR $is$ $a$ $US$ $territory$. $They$ $send$ $me$ $back$ $to$ $Palm$ $US$ $support$ $where$ $they$ $just$ $told$ $me$ $that$ $I$'$m$ $out$ $of$ $luck$ $if$ $I$ $want$ $to$ $buy$ $from$ $the$ $App$ $Catalog$, $and$ $that$ $I$ $should$ $really$ $contact$ $the$ $Latin$ $American$ $people$ $for$ $support$, $even$ $though$ $they$ $can$'$t$ $help$ $me$ $with$ $products$ $they$ $don$'$t$ $support$. $Real$ $professional$ $there$, $Palm$. $They$ $sure$ $have$ $no$ $problems$ $letting$ $Sprint$, $Best$ $Buy$, $Radio$ $Shack$, $and$ $other$ $retailers$ $sell$ $the$ $phone$ $over$ $here$; $too$ $bad$ $they$ $have$ $no$ $clue$ $as$ $to$ $how$ $to$ $support$ $it$ $once$ $it$ $reaches$ $these$ $shores$.

So, since I'm still under the 30 day Sprint warranty period, what would be a good phone to try if I decide to give up on the Pre? I can just return this to Sprint, including the Touchstone since I bought it from them, get a refund from them and choose another carrier if I want to with another phone. I just worry with this problematic (and somewhat clueless) Palm attitude when it comes to giving support, which really spoils what I believe to be a great product. Heck, even my wife loves it and smartphones have always intimidated her. She found the Pre to be intuitive and fun to use - a first with her!
    I say stick with it bro. That chiming thing at 100% is a touchstone issue. I took one back for that reason and got a new one that stopped working alltogether. Third time was a charm and i'm now happy with my two touchstones. The Pre also got my wife hooked on smartphones. I would also recommend calling Sprint support instead of Palm. I've heard horror stories similar to yours from others with Palm support experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by silverthornne View Post
    It must be so, because I just got off from Palm support and that's what the guy told me. So seriously, this can't be as intended right? Just seems really clumsy if that's how it is.

Anyway, I had to talk to 4 employees until they found someone who knew what a Touchstone was, and even then, he didn't seem to understand the issue, finally telling me that it just repeats the chime to let me know that I need to remove the phone from the Touchstone.
    That is *not* correct. I had a touchstone do that (one of three that I had purchased), and it was the only one to do that. Literally, I could charge my phone to 100% two of my touchstones, and it would stay quiet (would show a green battery & indicate 100% if I tapped the battery status). The third (defective) one would ding when it reached 100% (or possibly when the battery got too warm, not sure what the cause was). I exchanged the defective one, and received one that works like both my others.
  4.    #4  
    I know. Was just pointing out the way Palm handles the issues :/

Seriously, I swear their devices are good in *spite* of Palm. They don't seem to be very good at the whole customer help and support part of the business.
    I got told by a British O2 store that it was designed to do that, as you shouldnt leave your battery on it for too long.

I insisted that was utter piffle and demanded a new one. They didnt seem to care Id researched it online and even had the articles printed out for them.

And guess what - worked perfectly!!!

Needless to say the manager of that shop got a rather strongly worded letter!
    mine ONLY chimes when you first place it on.... period.. thats it.
  7.    #7  
    That means that yours is working correctly.
    I've had my touchstone for a few weeks and it occasionally will do the chiming thing. If I simply re-seat the Pre on the Touchstone it will stop (sometimes it takes a couple of times). It is definitely an issue with the connection between the two devices. Once I re-seat the phone on the charger and make sure the magnet is in it's strongest position, the device stops with the chiming.

It does get annoying once in a while though.