Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Can I plug my pre into the outlet where you plug your ipod in a car and be able to hear my conversaions over the car stereo speakers without useing bluetooth?
    No.....You can, however, plug it in and select the "USB Drive" setting and play any music off of your Pre using the stereo, though. I bought an 1/8" cable to plug in the AUX input so that I can use Pandora. That works for having conversations through the speakers, too.
    I think the AUX input (with a standard headphone jack) is exactly what the original poster is talking about. I'm unaware of any iPod hookup that uses USB in that way.

But yes, you can plug the AUX cable from your stereo to the headphone jack on your Pre and listen to phone calls through the stereo. I'm still hoping they add this functionality for bluetooth audio gateways as well.
    I have a 2007 Honda Civic....it has a AUX jack taht uses the standard headphone plug, so if you plug the cable into the top of your Pre and then into the AUX jack...

YES...you can hear all your conversations, and also you can use it to hear Pandora through your speakers, and also Sprint Navigation.

My favorite is to have Pandora running in a background card so you still have music, and then have GPS Sprint Nav. running and it will pause the music when it needs to tell your directions.
    Quote Originally Posted by BreakfastPirate View Post
    I think the AUX input (with a standard headphone jack) is exactly what the original poster is talking about. I'm unaware of any iPod hookup that uses USB in that way.

But yes, you can plug the AUX cable from your stereo to the headphone jack on your Pre and listen to phone calls through the stereo. I'm still hoping they add this functionality for bluetooth audio gateways as well.
    They have some kits that do this. I have a Kensington Bluetooth Car Kit. It plugs in to the standard power outlet and in to my AUX 1/8" port on my car stereo. It pairs nicely with my Pre. It also includes a wireless steering wheel D-pad controller for switching audio tracks and answering calls. And it has a USB for that can be used for charging (no TS tho). Its downside is that the audio strength isn't as high as the CD player or radio, so I have to turn it up a lot.
    Always pimpin' PunnyShirts.com
    Ohhh....My bad if that's the case. My car stereo has a USB hookup that was marketed as "iPod ready", so guess I just assumed that this is what he was talking about.
    i got a cable that has an earphone jack on both sides and was able to pug it into by radio and put the radio on aux and it works great
    ;SPRINT SERVICE/REPAIR TECH
    if you do USB mode, you cant use the phone, do not 4get that!!! I use the input jack, plug in the AUX input and then put on my touchstone so the battery won't die.... also don't 4get the battery part too man!

As someone else said, the speakers act like the output and the phone will be input (speaker mode) unless you have the bluetooth installed in your car.... works great for me when I use it!
    I've already posted elsewhere my problem without a response buy this seems the right thread. My car has a system with full ipod usb conectivity. I can plug an ipod into it or a USB memory stick into it and all works fine. My Pre however is not being recognised. I have tried using USB mode on the pre without success. The pre connects by Bluetooth fine as a phone but I can only control music output using the music player application. What I should be able to do is choose music from the car's screen as I can with other USB devices. Any thoughts
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Pockets View Post
    Can I plug my pre into the outlet where you plug your ipod in a car and be able to hear my conversaions over the car stereo speakers without useing bluetooth?
    There's no such thing as an "MP3 plug". If you mean a USB plug (or an iPod dock connector) then the answer is no. If you mean a 1/8" stereo jack (typically marked AUX) then it should work. And in that case, have you actually tried it?
    Quote Originally Posted by ericrendel View Post
    I've already posted elsewhere my problem without a response buy this seems the right thread. My car has a system with full ipod usb conectivity. I can plug an ipod into it or a USB memory stick into it and all works fine. My Pre however is not being recognised. I have tried using USB mode on the pre without success. The pre connects by Bluetooth fine as a phone but I can only control music output using the music player application. What I should be able to do is choose music from the car's screen as I can with other USB devices. Any thoughts
    That does seem odd ... I've been able to use my Pre in USB mode when plugged into my car stereo USB port (although as someone else pointed out, you can't use the phone while in USB mode, so I'm not sure how useful this is).

Is the music on your Pre synced via iTunes (and was the memory stick a copy of an iTunes directory)? Just wondering if your car system is really iPod-specific and maybe looking for a specific directory structure? Never really heard of one like that ... but just a thought.
    It works fine in my car. My car has a 3.5mm stereo plug.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Are you talking about something like this?

/Kevin
    This going to drift this thread a little bit but its sort of on topic......

I have a 2009 Ford Edge with Sync. It hooks into my Pre via Bluetooth as soon as I start the car and then downloads the address book into the Sync/radio console with no interaction by me. If someone calls, I see the caller ID on the radio display and have buttons on the steering wheel to answer, etc. I can also give voice commands like "Call Joe Smith on cell" and it will do exactly that. If I leave off the "cell" part, it will come back an say "Home or cell?" assuming I have 2 entries for that person. On some cell phones you can get it to read text messages to you but the Pre isn't compatible enough with Sync to do that.

Being a gadget guy and in the IT business for 20+ years, I have to say that the Sync technology is unbelievable and steered me towards buying a Ford for the first time. And I don't even have the touch-Nav screen! I just have the stock 6 CD/MPS radio. It even comes with a USB port that read simple flash drives and/or can charge my Pre. I have a $25 16GB USB thumb drive in there with thousands of songs to choose from. Amazing technology and sure beats having to hook up a $300 iPod or Zune in there. Doesn't anyone else find it odd that if you buy a $30,000 car that you can ONLY dock an iPod to it or else have to use an AUX jack? With the USB port in Sync, it can sync up with just about any music player on the market, index it, and stil use the voice commands. A lot more versatile than being forced into drinking the Apple Kool-Aid.

Anyway, for gadget and music enthusiasts, the Ford Sync technology is quite impressive and pretty smooth for hands free talking through my Pre and listening to music.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts

uh, yeah I know my kenwood deck has aux input in front & usb infront, the usb I can plug in a usb thumb drive play music from it but I can also use my ipod cable & ipod & it will charge & play music. My pre will charge off of it but if I use usb either usb drive mode or media mode I can not use my phone but in media mode I can control it from stereo just like an ipod. I like to usb charhe it tho & use aux connector so I can still get calls
    Is anyone else having this problem? i can hear people but they can't hear me anymore since the update. I downgraded back to previous OS, works fine. I was forced to upgrade back to 1.3.1, same problem, i can hear them and they can't hear me
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Major.Malfunction View Post
    This going to drift this thread a little bit but its sort of on topic......

I have a 2009 Ford Edge with Sync. It hooks into my Pre via Bluetooth as soon as I start the car and then downloads the address book into the Sync/radio console with no interaction by me. If someone calls, I see the caller ID on the radio display and have buttons on the steering wheel to answer, etc. I can also give voice commands like "Call Joe Smith on cell" and it will do exactly that. If I leave off the "cell" part, it will come back an say "Home or cell?" assuming I have 2 entries for that person. On some cell phones you can get it to read text messages to you but the Pre isn't compatible enough with Sync to do that.

Being a gadget guy and in the IT business for 20+ years, I have to say that the Sync technology is unbelievable and steered me towards buying a Ford for the first time. And I don't even have the touch-Nav screen! I just have the stock 6 CD/MPS radio. It even comes with a USB port that read simple flash drives and/or can charge my Pre. I have a $25 16GB USB thumb drive in there with thousands of songs to choose from. Amazing technology and sure beats having to hook up a $300 iPod or Zune in there. Doesn't anyone else find it odd that if you buy a $30,000 car that you can ONLY dock an iPod to it or else have to use an AUX jack? With the USB port in Sync, it can sync up with just about any music player on the market, index it, and stil use the voice commands. A lot more versatile than being forced into drinking the Apple Kool-Aid.

Anyway, for gadget and music enthusiasts, the Ford Sync technology is quite impressive and pretty smooth for hands free talking through my Pre and listening to music.
    I work for Ford. I'm glad your happy your Edge. You should see the stuff thats coming in the near future. SICK!
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    @doogiepwr..

I just took my 2010 Focus into the shop to get the radio repaired because my sirius bleeds through my line in and my bluetooth, and my bluetooth thru the pre sounds like complete and utter crap... The guy at the shop said this is a widespread issue and they are working on a fix..have you heard of that before? ( I want to make sure this mechanic didn't feed me BS because he didn't want to admit not knowing how to go about repairing the issue)
    Quote Originally Posted by ericrendel View Post
    The problem could be that the Pre goes into the "Just charge" mode by default (yes, even while it's prompting if you want Media Sync, USB Drive or Just Charge), and in that mode it appears as USB mass storage with the disk ejected. When you select Media Sync or USB Drive, then it appears to the host as if a disk were inserted. This is a clever way of working around the device having to re-enumerate as something different when you want storage versus charging (which is what some other smartphones do, like Treos running Softick Card Export), but some car stereos probably only look at the device once at initial connection, see that there's "no disc" and give up.

You could test your stereo against this scenario by using a USB SD card reader and connect it to the stereo with no card in it, then insert a card with music on it and see what happens. If I'm right, your stereo probably won't do that either but would work if the SD card were already in the reader when you first plugged it in...

The WebOS Internals guys have the just-charge-by-default patch, maybe they could make a usb-drive-by-default patch if this issue is confirmed via the SD card reader test.
    Yeah, uhh... it's Kevin. (KevinT was already taken.)

PalmPilot Professional, Palm V, Kyocera 7135, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Palm Prē & Prē 2, HP TouchPad & Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by BucsnNoles View Post
    No.....You can, however, plug it in and select the "USB Drive" setting and play any music off of your Pre using the stereo, though. I bought an 1/8" cable to plug in the AUX input so that I can use Pandora. That works for having conversations through the speakers, too.
    actually you should be able to do this! i dont have the the stereo plug but i do have a fm transmitter plugged into one of my cig. lighters and i plug the 3.5 mm jack into my pre and take calls over the stereo and talk back to them through the pre's mic.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast