Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    I bought a belt case with magnetic lid for my Pre.
    I just realized that every time I pull Pre out of the case, Pre unlocks by itself.
    No unlock swipe needed.

After studying this, it came clear to me pulling Pre out of the case (past the lid magnet) is, for Pre, the same thing as lifting off from Touchstone.

It's kind of cool, yes, but there is also a certain risk for unintended selections because the touchscreen activates when not yet properly in hand.
    Now that I know this, I am prepared and will take Pre out of the case carefully enough. Can do! It's tested!
    Also considering a magnetic lid case for it. Most of the ones I've seen at the pre central store are snap on---tacky.

anyone else using magnetic cover?
    I like the auto-unlocking mentioned above.
    Global Posts
    596 Global Posts
    im using the Palm pouch with magnetic "lid" and mine doesnt unlock until i hit the power button and swipe up.
    I've got the Piel Frama i-Magnum, and I've yet to experience any inadvertent unlocking episodes with my Pre.

Regards,
    Adam
    Sony: NR70, NX80
    Palm: III, V, Vx, IIIc, m505, LifeDrive, Treo 700p, Palm Pre
    Android: HTC Evo 4G
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    The magnet in this Celly case is quite strong which is good in keeping case closed but it appears to switch Pre on when moving Pre both in or out.
    Not once this could be avoided.
    No unintended actions detected, either, I must add.

So, some "magnetic" cases do this, some don't.
    Cases designed spefically for Pre propably have been checked for this not to happen. Or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemstil View Post
    The magnet in this Celly case is quite strong which is good in keeping case closed but it appears to switch Pre on when moving Pre both in or out.
    Not once this could be avoided.
    No unintended actions detected, either, I must add.

So, some "magnetic" cases do this, some don't.
    Cases designed spefically for Pre propably have been checked for this not to happen. Or not.
    I just purchased an E & B Copilot case for Pre and the phone ALWAYS turns on when installing or removing from the case, or even changing position in the case.

We have enough trouble with battery life without unintended actuation of the phone.

This case has two magnetic latches, on at either end of the horizontal case, so it doesn't matter which way the phone is placed in the case - the phone always actuates.

I like the Copilot because it has a belt loop instead of a clip so there is no possibility of the case being "pried" off your belt by a seat belt or chair arm. I used this style of case with my Treo for years after a clip-style case fell off my belt and into the street while loading packages into a car.
    Quote Originally Posted by NxTech3 View Post
    im using the Palm pouch with magnetic "lid" and mine doesnt unlock until i hit the power button and swipe up.
    This. Also, the belt clip is very strong, and the flap has never opened unintentionally.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    If you pass a magnet across the top left corner of the display screen it will turn on your Pre. Only one pole ( north or south) turns the Pre on. I don't have a compass handy to check which polarity turns the phone on. On the Palm case the pole that turns the phone on faces to the outside of the case, pretty clever.
    That's interesting.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    Quote Originally Posted by lazslo11 View Post
    If you pass a magnet across the top left corner of the display screen it will turn on your Pre. Only one pole ( north or south) turns the Pre on. I don't have a compass handy to check which polarity turns the phone on. On the Palm case the pole that turns the phone on faces to the outside of the case, pretty clever.
    Yep, it's true, tried it on my "Swiss Mobility" case and it turned on. Ever now and then I use this case and have never had a problem with it unlocking/turning on the display, probably the way I insert/remove my pre it does not come near the magnet in the latch.
    kool !! i want one !!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    nope...I just have a generic magnetic case that I bought from the mall...no problems with it turning on my Pre here...
    That's pretty cool, never thought about it. Reminds me on my Blackberry 7100i. Everytime you would put it in or out of the case it would turn on or off, I always liked that little feature.
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    This magnet thing could create some unwanted actions, too, like explained in this thread.
    Lazslo11's
    post about polarity explains, in part, why only small bunch of people has noticed anything odd happening with magnets.

Kind of cool, I agree. On the other hand, some sort of risk, too.
    Global Posts
    751 Global Posts
    I don't think this has anything to do with the Touchstone. I'm pretty sure it's a magnetic sensor that senses when you open/close the slider. When you put the magnet over the right spot, the Pre thinks you are opening the slider.

I've carried my Pre in a magnetic case since day one and I don't know that I've ever had it accidentally turn on, but I can get it to turn on in the case if I try.
    Last edited by kd0axs; 02/23/2010 at 08:55 PM.