Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    I have 3 TS.

1 from Germany (with the phone) that is working but when the phone reach 100% start the on/off dance;
    1 from USA that do the on/off dance often before reaching 100%;
    1 from Hong Kong that is working very good.

What does it mean?
    Could be that HK ones are produced later and so they are error-free or fixed?
    Not sure. I have 4 or 5 between the wife and me with no problems. I'd be curious if swapping around the AC adapters yields an difference. We are using mostly Amazon Kindle chargers for ours, modified to fit in the touchstone.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    I am using 2 PALM charger for my home and 1 car PALM power charger....
    I also thought it was the touchstone bad so I bought anotherone but even this gave the same problem!
    So, finally, I've changed the back-cover and now both the TS works good! So... the defect, for me, was not the touchstone but the back cover! Damn!!!
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    I've had a TS that I purchased along with my PRE from Sprint. It has worked wonderfully without any problems. I thought I'd get another TS for the office and purchased one via Amazon. This one did the charging dance without stop, so I returned it to Amazon and got a replacement. The Amazon replacement did the charging dance too, so it went back too. The strange thing is that I have the original TS that works without flaw, so I suspect that there must be a either a quality issue with the later TS's or the alignment of the back is very specific to the TS one uses. I'm a little wary of purchasing any more TS's since I'm tired of returning them.
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    could it be useful to share S/N that are written on the bottom to understand if there are different series of production?
    Global Posts
    596 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pirre View Post
    I also thought it was the touchstone bad so I bought anotherone but even this gave the same problem!
    So, finally, I've changed the back-cover and now both the TS works good! So... the defect, for me, was not the touchstone but the back cover! Damn!!!
    Thats been one of the "fixes" out there for a while. The big boss had an issue with his doing the on/off dance randomly, i put my Pre on his TS and it worked just fine, he put his pre on my TS and it gave him issues. Geve him a new Battery Door, and no issues since then.
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Both of mine work fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by NxTech3 View Post
    Thats been one of the "fixes" out there for a while. The big boss had an issue with his doing the on/off dance randomly, i put my Pre on his TS and it worked just fine, he put his pre on my TS and it gave him issues. Geve him a new Battery Door, and no issues since then.
    Well! I thought it was a touchstone issue and instead now I have two working TS and a new back-cover!
    I had to manually pull up the two gold pins that make contact with the back of the touchstone-compatible back, before my touchstone worked properly. Its fine now...
    Treo 270>600>650>samsung i780>pre
    I finally broke down and bought one and it is actually draining my battery. It's doing the on/off dance as described above. I tried pulling the gold pins out for better contact and still no dice. For the OP, my TS was made in China.
    This is linux underneath it all and that means multiple independent processes. One of those controls recharging from the touchstone. I've noticed that the power daemon sometimes dies. I am a power user and its most likely caused by what I'm doing, but nevertheless you should always attempt to restart the Pre from the devices menu and try the touchstone again.

Its happened twice to me in 3 months and a reboot cleared it right up.

FYI.
    I've had 3 Touchstones and 3 backplates. My first 2 sets were defective and caused the on/off charging "dance". The 3rd set was the charm. I believe the match between the backplate and the Touchstone is key. I tried different backplates with different Touchstones including trying out my Pre on Touchstones at the Sprint store to see if it was backplate. Well, it turns out that not all backplates and not all Touchstones are created equal. This lead me to also believe that there are some serious quality control issues at play here. Palm needs to more adequately test each set (backplate and Touchstone).

I did use the folded paper trick (to achieve the "minimal gap" for the EMF) which worked for one of the sets. I later replaced the folded paper with a thin piece of clear plastic fastened by a piece of double sided tape until my 3rd set arrived.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    I've decided not to plunk down the $60+ for aTouchstone, and just stick with the USB charge method.