Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I need to order a screen protector, but I'm still not quite sure which one to go with. Everybody seems to be screaming "Phantom Skinz! Phantom Skinz!", but I haven't heard anybody say that Phantom Skinz is actually better than Boxwave. Boxwave has never done me wrong before, it still leaves the screen smooth (which is needed for gestures and flicking things around), it doesn't need water to apply, and it can be washed and reused (tho, I've never actually been able to reuse one myself).

Soo.... here's the options:

- Boxwave screen protector
    - Phantom Skinz screen protector
    - Phantom Skinz "full body" protector for both sides

Anybody actually have real-world experience with BOTH of these brands?

Any reason not to get the "full body" protector from Phantom Skinz (i.e. - interferes with Touchstone, doesn't stick to Touchstone back, too slippery, too easy to peel off, etc.)?

TIA!
    Well, the big difference to me is that the PhantomSkinz actually wraps around the sides ... doesn't look like Boxwave extends that far to me (even the "extended coverage"). The Pre is kind of difficult to fit because it's so rounded. Seems like the Boxwave might catch on something and come loose ... but maybe not, and maybe that's really a better way to do it on the Pre?

I have the PhantomSkinz and really like it. Only the front, didn't want to cover the Touchstone back because the texture is actually kind of nice, and didn't see the need in it (don't care about scratches on the back).

Having said that, I did a pretty extensive search and a lot of reading before settling on PhantomSkinz, and I think Boxwave would have been my second choice. People who had it seemed to like it.
    I used Boxwave on my Treo and I ended up getting PhantomSkinz for my Pre.

Having used both, the Boxwave is the better material; extremely transparent. However, since the Boxwave didn't cover the sides, I went with PhantomSkinz. It does what it's supposed to do. If Boxwave ever changes their design, I'll go back to them.
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    IAnybody actually have real-world experience with BOTH of these brands?
    Actually, yes. I am a long-time BoxWave fan - I've supported multiple fleets of mobile devices over the last ten years. I love BoxWave screen protectors for their clarity and protection as well as their feel. Right now we're mostly rolling with Treo 800Ws and Treo Pros, about twenty in total with BoxWave protectors. We have four Pres and a few iPhones for good measure.

That said, I'm using a PhantomSkinz on my Pre. Of the four Pres, two have BoxWave protectors and two have PhantomSkinz. Here's the good and bad of each (in my opinion, of course):

BoxWave - pros: one piece, no water for application, smooth feel.
    BoxWave - cons: kind of thick, pocket lint infests the edges (due to the curvature of the Pre), doesn't cover the whole front of the device.

PhantomSkinz - pros: smooth feel (better than Invisible Shield and BodyGuardz), covers the front and sides nicely, easier install with fewer bubbles, good protection, nice clean corners.
    PhantomSkinz - cons: after about four months the edges begin to come loose, install takes about twenty minutes, needs a solid overnight to dry clear.

If you have any further questions, let me know.
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    I've had the Boxwave screen protector on for 4 months. It's great. Transparent, easy to forget it's there. The PhantomSkinz install process scared me (I'm not good with arts and crafts. I was pretty sure I'd screw it up). I used the Seidio Innocase for a while until it broke.
    Palm V -->m505 -->Tungsten T3-->T5->Centro-->Pre!
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by jsage View Post
    That said, I'm using a PhantomSkinz on my Pre. Of the four Pres, two have BoxWave protectors and two have PhantomSkinz. Here's the good and bad of each (in my opinion, of course):

PhantomSkinz - pros: smooth feel (better than Invisible Shield and BodyGuardz), covers the front and sides nicely, easier install with fewer bubbles, good protection, nice clean corners.
    PhantomSkinz - cons: after about four months the edges begin to come loose, install takes about twenty minutes, needs a solid overnight to dry clear.

If you have any further questions, let me know.
    Uh.. yes. I definitely have some more questions for you.

Which of the 3 options do you think would be best for the stock Palm case? Seems like a pretty snug fit as it is, so does it look like the Boxwave would catch on the case? I guess the "full body" protector from PS doesn't seem to be worth it so much.

If both of them will have the edges snagged every few months or so... that's kinda upsetting. I guess since the PS is actually curved and the Boxwave isn't... that about seals the deal. I read a post somewhere where the Boxwave rep was talking about how they changed the design... I dunno. Guess I might email them and see what they say.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    I have not had the Phantom Skinz but here is my opinion of a few others including the Boxwave that I have had:

Zagg Invisible Shield $14.99 Front only
    After a few days I could not stand the way it fit around the corners and the slider. Not to mention the orange peel effect. ZAGG | invisibleSHIELD | Palm Pre Cases, Screen Protectors, Covers, Shields, Skins, Invisible Shield

Seido Ultimate $7.95 Front only
    Your typical peel and stick that worked very well. I just didnt like when using the gesture area you would hit the edge of the protector. seidioonline.com

BestSkinsEver $5.99 Front only
    Better than Zagg, but still did not like how if fit around the corners. Not nearly as much orange peel. Palm Pre Skin

Boxwave $12.95 Front only
    HANDS DOWN MY FAVORITE so far. Its your typical peel and stick that fits the entire front of the device. I got the Crystal and it looks great. Pre Screen Protectors & Covers / Pre Protection / Palm Pre Screen Protectors & Covers / Palm Pre Protection

This is just my oppinion taking out the cost of each protector. I also only covered the fronts since I have the Touchstone back.
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    Which of the 3 options do you think would be best for the stock Palm case?
    The leather side case with the pull-out ribbon? If so, no protector seems to work well with it -it's too snug. I have one - I stuffed a slightly-larger-than-a-Pre block of wood in it for a week to stretch it, but it's still to tight.

Right now I'm using an EB Copilot case. It works very well, is slim enough to wear under a suit and doesn't affect the skin in any way.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by jsage View Post
    The leather side case with the pull-out ribbon? If so, no protector seems to work well with it -it's too snug.
    I was referring to the stock case that came with the Pre. I just got it a week ago. The case doesn't look leather to me, but a cloth that is very leather-esque. It's not a side case, either. And there's definitely no ribbon... I just had to double check that.

Seems like there's just enough room for a screen protector on the front.
    Quote Originally Posted by psm9 View Post
    I've had the Boxwave screen protector on for 4 months. .... I used the Seidio Innocase for a while until it broke.
    Did you use the Boxwave with the Seidio Innocase? Did it work/fit OK? I am a long time Boxwave user on my last 5 palm devices but I do have (and love) the Seidio case.
    i choose phantom skins over the zagg IS , its easier to put on and looks so much better for sure. as far as boxwave goes ,i cant really say because ive never used it .

PS; i use seidio innocase with my skin and it works great( as long as you cut off the tabs).
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Boxwave for sure! It's the only screen protector I'll use, but I also always have a case on my phone. Works great with innocase and other cases. It can even be washed and put back on the phone, doesn't need soap and doesn't leave residue on the phone when removed.

It covers the screen, but does not go over the edge, but that's not an issue for me since I always have a case along with my screen protector.
  13.    #13  
    Soo... the PhantomSkinz stays on for 4 months and then needs to be reapplied overnight?? But the Boxwave's edges don't exactly go with the curve of the Pre's screen... so lint gets under the edges.

I already know about the edges of BW screen protectors getting lint underneath, so I think I'll try the PS, especially due to the curvature of the Pre's screen (plus PS has coupon code "fall30" for 30% off and no s&h). But I don't get this whole "4 months" estimate...
  14.    #14  
    Oh yea... is anybody actually using the Boxwave anti-glare with their Pre?

I always preferred the anti-glare over the crystal with my previous Treos, Centro... but the Pre's screen looks too beautiful to put that matte finish on. Was anybody "crazy" enough to do that, tho? Is the touchscreen more responsive, like it was with the stylus on resistive screens??
    I'm very happy with Phantom Skinz for the Pre. It went on easily and the bubbles just disappeared over time. It's tough and durable. It also doesn't interfere with finger swipes. It's almost invisible. I just hope that it lasts longer than 4 months. Never tried the Boxwave.
    I tried the skinomi and failed horribly, I guess because of the curvature of the pre the sides came out all crappy and I hated the liquid application so I just tore the thing off. I ordered boxwave crystal clear and I've been using it without any problems for a couple of week now.

It was very easy to apply on, with the screen on you can't tell if there is anything on there or not, but with the screen off you can see the outline of the screen protector, but the pre still looks good. Also it doesn't effect the touch screen at all, I'm still able to do everything on it. Overall I like boxwave and maybe later on down the line I'll try phantom skinz.
    I haven't used the Phantom Skinz so I can't compare.

I love the Boxwave, though. I've had it on for 3 months and I carry my phone in my front pocket or shirt pocket, no holster. So it's been semi-abused in a daily basis and it still looks in virtually the same condition as it did when I put it on.

It's so clear and unobtrusive that I have to purposely look to see if it's there. A little lint building around the edges but not much, especially for carrying it against pocket fabric.

To me, the screen is the only thing I'm truly interested in protecting due to the touch screen functionality.

I'm very impressed so far.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Thanks for all the complements!

If you scroll down you can see some images of the Crystal installed on my Pre~

best of luck on deciding!

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...otector-2.html
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Hi Boxwave,
    Any current coupons for the Cleartouch available?
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    This might still work, I'm not sure if its still useable though. We might have one for the xmas season~~

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...upon-code.html
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast