Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    You still have to have it plugged up, why not just have a wall charger that takes up less space?
    Plugged up? It's not constipated, it's a inductive charger.

The TS allows you to charge the Pre without the need to futz around with the stupid USB door. Easy on, easy off.
    The big deal is you don't have to plug anything in. You just drop the Pre on the stone, and you are done. No fudging to get the USB door open, no messing with trying to get the connector lined up.

Also, it works great in the car. I always know where my phone is, it's not flying around in the car, falling between the seat, etc.

IMO, it's one of the best things about the Pre.
    For me, it's easier to slap it on the touchstone then pulling the cover off of the port of the phone and plugging it up. Not good on 'drunken' nights. lol
  5.    #5  
    Doesn't the touchstone still have to be plugged up? if so, I don't care. A simple wall charger takes up less space, I don't care about the novelty of the ts.
    Plugged up? You mean plugged in? At any rate, yeah, it's not space efficient, but that's entirely not the point. You could say the same about every smartphone/pda cradle ever made.

The cool thing about the Touchstone is that there is no physical connection between the phone and the Touchstone. So no plugs are getting worn every time you connect. In the car, that also provides a bonus ground loop isolator. The Touchstone also impacts the behavior of the Pre: when you're talking on the phone and you set the Pre down on the Touchstone, it automatically switches to speakerphone. If the Pre is on the Touchstone and the phone rings, it answers automatically when you pick it up. And there are a few other things too.

But by far, the biggest benefit is not having to fiddle with the USB door. That's a big plus for most people. Besides that, it's just cool in a Popular Mechanics sort of way.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Of course it has to be plugged in. The damn thing doesn't run on magic. Unless you live in a 20sq.m apartment I'm not understanding the space issue. The TS sits under the Pre so it actually doesn't take up any additional desk space.

Quote Originally Posted by mclldavidson View Post
    Doesn't the touchstone still have to be plugged up? if so, I don't care. A simple wall charger takes up less space, I don't care about the novelty of the ts.
    I have a TS and i don't use it I fear to damage the battery with it
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnDoes View Post
    Not sure what to say about that. If Palm built the Pre, the battery (well, at least their name is on it), the Touchstone back, and the Touchstone...wait, what are you worried about again?
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    If you're worried about space, what you need to do is move out of that cardboard box you're living in and buy a touchstone.
    Ya I don't drive my car for I fear that running the engine my damage it.

Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    Of course it has to be plugged in. The damn thing doesn't run on magic.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by djorijun View Post
    If you're worried about space, what you need to do is move out of that cardboard box you're living in and buy a touchstone.
    I have the deluxe cardboard box, plenty of space
    It's fine if you don't care for one, but it's a lot more than "novelty" appeal. Several have already stated that it's the ease of use. You put the Pre on the TS, no need to fiddle with cables or connectors.

I haven't hooked one up in my car yet, but that's one of my goals. In a car, the is multiplied (for me). I hate the way the USB cord is in the way when charging, but I want to charge in the phone. A TS would make it so nice to put it on the charger, grab it off to dial call, put it back when I'm done dialing.
  15.    #15  
    OK I can see that but for me, a wall charger is enough
    You are wise to be protective of your battery. As a matter of fact, just to be completely safe, you should remove the TS entirely from your home. Send me a PM and I'll give you an address you can use for safe-keeping.
    lolz @ hparsons
    I have the deluxe cardboard box, plenty of space
    This has to be the dumbest post I have read in a very long time. The OP needs to get a clue and stop being such a dumb-***.

The Touchstone is one of the best little pieces of tech I have used in a long time. It is a must have accessory and not a novelty by any means. I wish more cellphone manufacturers would take advantage of this technology. It is absolutely amazing.

To the person who said they were afraid to use it due to fear it may ruin the battery, you need to just turn in all your hi-tech devices and go live in a cave. I am not trying to be mean but some of the forum members on here just give innovative technology a bad name with stupid post like these.

I honestly think this forum has done more to hurt the Pre's imagine rather than bolster it.
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    You still have to have it plugged up, why not just have a wall charger that takes up less space?
    It really isnt a big deal, it actually charges the device slower than the regular USB. Personally I believe it's just for cosmetics, it's something new, everyone goes "ohhh and ahh" over it and they make money...
    Quote Originally Posted by Leke View Post
    It really isnt a big deal, it actually charges the device slower than the regular USB. Personally I believe it's just for cosmetics, it's something new, everyone goes "ohhh and ahh" over it and they make money...
    I think it's a very big deal (which is why everyone is now trying to copy it re the aftermarket charging pods). I have three TS's, one by my bed, one in my office,and one in my car. Admittedly, if the Pre had a five day battery, it would be less useful, but it doesn't. And it is the easiest thing on earth to use. Just hit a button while driving and it's a handsfree phone. Gives you a great clock, and nightlight by the bedside, and essentially results in an always fully charged phone without ever messing with a cord. It is one of the best things about the Pre.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast