1.    #1  
    I searched but there were so many posts, I had to post a new one! Sorry.

I did the mod to the charger that shorts the 2nd and 3rd pins with solder.

The TS works fine, but from time to time, I have to give the slightest tap to the charger for the TS to turn on. ITS SO WEIRD!

Sometimes I place the Pre on the TS and charging begins right away, and other times, I have to tap the damn charger (not the TS, but the charger in the 12v output of the car. The little red light is on the whole time. Its not like tapping the charger turns it on (at least not the red light). It just does something weird that when I do it, the Pre starts charging. So it can't be the TS...

It has to be the charger though, doesn't it? I really need help with this. I'm thinking of buying another charger because it's so cheap anyway to see if this helps. I doubt I can return the one that I modified the 2 pins on!!

Anyway, does anyone else have any problems like this?

BTW, the TS in the car is the best car mount ever! Also, I just bought a bunch of cables from monoprice, like more usb cables, retractable 3.5mm stereo cables. And cables I probably don't even need! They're so cheap!

Peace out
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.
    Sounds like you got a 'cold joint' when you soldered pins 2 and 3 together. That can easily happen if you re-heated the solder that was already on those pins (or simply added to it) rather than cleaning them off with some solder wick and starting again from scratch. Having a lot of old solder on the tip of you iron is also a bad thing... use a wet cloth or sponge to clean the iron and re-tin it with new solder immediately prior to doing any work with it. Flux is your friend, and if you can get some separate solder flux to apply to your work before soldering (often available in component stores in a sort of glorified felt tipped pen), you'll have much better luck.
    Yeah, uhh... it's Kevin. (KevinT was already taken.)

PalmPilot Professional, Palm V, Kyocera 7135, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Palm Prē & Prē 2, HP TouchPad & Veer
  3.    #3  
    So can you explain what tapping the charger is doing to the circuitry, especially the one solder joint that shorts pin 2 and 3 together? Also, tapping the charger is not necessary all of the time. Sometimes the Pre starts charging right away when placed on the TS. I would have to say that is true approximately 30% of the time though.

I'm an Electrical Engineer, so I am trying to take your advice while wondering how the solder is affected by a slight tap to turn on the charger's output!! Just curious with your theory! Thanks for the help and I will try it anyway.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by ktessner View Post
    Sounds like you got a 'cold joint' when you soldered pins 2 and 3 together. That can easily happen if you re-heated the solder that was already on those pins (or simply added to it) rather than cleaning them off with some solder wick and starting again from scratch. Having a lot of old solder on the tip of you iron is also a bad thing... use a wet cloth or sponge to clean the iron and re-tin it with new solder immediately prior to doing any work with it. Flux is your friend, and if you can get some separate solder flux to apply to your work before soldering (often available in component stores in a sort of glorified felt tipped pen), you'll have much better luck.
    I think you had it right!!! I re soldered the pins, and this time I let the solder iron get to proper temp. First of all, the solder that was across pins 2 and 3 were so badly done that I was able to pull it off. I then went to solder it again, and the instant I touched the solder iron to the pins, I had instant solder melt across both pins. I knew right then that my previous job was in fact a cold solder joint. At first I couldn't understand what you meant by that phrase, but now, it works fine!!! I'm so dang happy!!

I can now install the charger underneath the dash by the fuse box and run it from the charger center spring pin to the + 12v of an open fuse, and the negative side metal contact to the ground of the car. This will free up my 12v dc charger (that my civic only had one of!)

It's going to be a really clean install now thanks to not having to tap the charger anymore due to the poor solder job I did on it. It can now be hidden. I also have a retractable 3.5mm male to male cable that I will use so when I'm done, there won't be any excess cables sticking around.

I don't know what it is about this TouchStone, but I believe it is the best invention ever, if only it was designed for the car!!!

Thanks again ktessner!!