1.    #1  
    So, I have a couple of Pres, and a couple of Touchstones. Yesterday, I began the day noticing that one of the handsets had not been fully charged by the touchstone. In fact, it was at 53% after a full night. Later on, I tried putting it back on the touchstone, and it simply would not take a charge. Today, it had gone down to 23%

A few caveats I think are worth pointing out:
    1) Yes, I had it centered correctly. I have two Pres. It definitely works with one, and definitely doesn't work on another. In fact, on the one that doesn't work, I have a touchstone compatible case with a clear and obvious depression where the touchstone is supposed to sit. A monkey couldn't screw it up. So, it's not an issue of positioning. 6%. The battery has a slim red line.

2) Did I mention that I have 2 pres? The problem is not the touchstone itself, nor the cable leading to the touchstone, because the 2nd Pre charges just fine on both touchstones (all three, actually), and the problem handset has its problem regardless of which touchstone it sits on. So I'm pretty confident that I narrowed the problem down to just the handset. 3% It's scolding me.

Normally, I troubleshoot up the OSI stack starting with the physical. And after reading some posts on the issue, I started to suspect the touchstone case back, or its connection with the battery. But since I had it working just fine the day before, and I hadn't changed a thing physically, I thought it would be weird to develop a physical glitch automagically, after having only been in operation for 4 days or so. So I decided to skip that and ponder what else it might be. I ended up doing what every good tech would does as a harmless sanity check.

I rebooted.

Whaddya know...3% -> 4%, and in a little while it was all topped up at 100%.

I still don't know what went wrong though. I hadn't in any of my perusing of the site seen anyone mention the possibility of touchstone issues being logical in nature as opposed to physical. Does anyone else have have touchstone charging issues that mysteriously fix themselves with a reboot? Is this only a temporary remedy?

In the mean time, of course, I'll be keeping an eye on this sucker.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Sometimes mine wont charge on the touchstone. So I plug in via USB directly for a moment, then back to the touchstone. No big whoop.
    My Pre would not charge on my TS yesterday either. So I unplugged the TS cable and tried to charge through the USB port. That did not work either. So I did a Pre restart and my Pre started charging over USB. I then hooked up my TS and my Pre was charging. A reboot fixed my problem also.
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    reboot works.
    It happened to me when I restarted my phone and put it on the touchstone right away without letting it time to fully boot before putting it on the charger. Then it would not charge on the "stone". I removed the battery, let the phone do a full restart and then it charged completely.
    Quote Originally Posted by roygbiv View Post
    Pre not charging on Touchstone. Does a restart fix your problem?
    Yes! This has happened a few times to me as well.

No apps/cards were running, it was properly centered on Touchstone, the "charging" notification came on, the battery icon changed to the "charging" color. Sat on the charger all night but still never fully charged. Did a power-off restart and it began charging right before my eyes!

I've been wondering if something is stuck/running in the background (even though all of the cards are closed). Is there (an easy) patch or app that displays what processes are using CPU cycles?
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnNadeau View Post
    Yes! This has happened a few times to me as well.

No apps/cards were running, it was properly centered on Touchstone, the "charging" notification came on, the battery icon changed to the "charging" color. Sat on the charger all night but still never fully charged. Did a power-off restart and it began charging right before my eyes!

I've been wondering if something is stuck/running in the background (even though all of the cards are closed). Is there (an easy) patch or app that displays what processes are using CPU cycles?
    Ok, well it's good to know I'm sane, and nice to know what to expect without having to go throuh hours of watching my charge numbers go down while it's inconveniently sitting on the touchstone. And the fix is simple.

It'd just be nice to know why the heck it's doing this. I'm somewhat of a techie, so this kind of stuff gets a shrug of the shoulder from me. But I have friends who'd compare phones like the pre to the blackberry, which is considerably more locked down, and therefore less glitchy, and they'd never stand for this kind of quirk.
    happened to my wifes just this morning. Her's has never so much as been plugged into a computer, she has a handfull of free apps from the official catalog. She had done a reset this morning, and then after a little browsing txting and using the horiscope app, she went to charge and nothing. Tried my touchstone nothing, tried my pre on her touchstone and it worked, tried hers again, nada. Then we tried hers with the cable directly, worked. Then again touchstone, nothing. Then a reset, and it worked.

further updates as warrented.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Yea I have two pres also and one of them has the same problem. Have to do a reboot to get it back in charge mode. Two touchestones, also one pre works on all and one has a problem about every week or so.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    I don't get how this is possible. The Touchstone uses electromagnetic induction to charge the Pre. If the Pre is on the stone and the stone is plugged in to AC power, how can it NOT be charging the phone???
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by bp6088 View Post
    I don't get how this is possible. The Touchstone uses electromagnetic induction to charge the Pre. If the Pre is on the stone and the stone is plugged in to AC power, how can it NOT be charging the phone???
    the theory i'm going on is that the magnetic resonance can energize the receiving element, but that doesn't mean the circuit is closed. It could be that whatver was supposed to close that circuit didn't respond. Like a broken virtual solenoid.
  12.    #12  
    Update...this phone needed three restarts in the course of the weekend because of the touchstone (lack of) charging problem. Hmmm....
    I have had the same issue. The first night I had the touchstone, it started cycling through charging and not charging every 10 seconds (approximately). There was an alert sound when this happened and it woke me up. I silenced the ringer and went to sleep. That morning, my Pre would not charge on the TS. I restarted the pre, and it started working.

The last two nights, my pre has entered this cycle again. Taking it off the TS and placing it back on would not stop it. Restarting the Pre fixed the issue each time.

I chatted with Palm technical support. They had me run a diagnostic. They recommend exchanging it at Best Buy since I just got it 4 days ago.
    I have the two touchstone kit, purchased from the store here. One of the touchstones works perfectly. The other had the issue of constantly cycling on and off. Turns out, the problem was apparently the touchstone back.

Based on info from this board, I did the troubleshooting on the touchstone - checking the cables, rebooting, reseating the battery, trying a different charger/cable, putting the pre on the touchstone before plugging in and kept having the same problem. Ran through the diagnostics and an online chat with a Palm rep. This was when I first got the phone and hadn't updated to WebOS 1.3.1 He said to install the WebOS update and rerun the diagnostics.

I was going to get another touchstone anyway, so I hit RadioShack to get the $39.99 deal for the touchstone kit. The new touchstone had the same issue - constant on-off-on-off cycling. On a hunch, I put on the new touchstone back and it worked perfectly. Just tried it on the "malfunctioning" touchstone, and it worked perfectly.

I am positive the old back was on correctly. Yay for RadioShack. Saved me a lot of hassle, and I didn't lose any $ since I wanted three touchstones anyway.
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    Just happened to me. Pre was charging on the TS this morning. Then I noticed it wouldn't charge on the TS. I plugged it into the USB on AC power. It showed it was charging, but I was still losing percnetage. Then I plugged it into my computer... showed it was charging, still losing percentage. Did a power down, power up, and all is well.

I have a fairly heavily modded Pre.... but it seems like even non modded Pre's do this...
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    I have similar issues. Here is my scenario:

1) One pre, two touchstones (starting to sound like the infamous video)
    2) On the work TS, absolutely no issues.
    3) On the home TS, over the last couple of weeks, I have noticed a few glitches: a) a couple nights, it started charging but then in the morning I discovered it had stopped at some point. b) a few other times, it would never even start charging. I would plug in USB for a bit and then after a while, replug in TS, place the Pre on, and it would start charging.

What gives here? ARe there intermittently faulty TS's?
    I think some Touchstones work intermittently. I had one in my office that had the ding-dong problem when it reached full charge; I tried reseating, restarting, different outlets, etc. etc. I exchanged it for one that turned out not to charge the Pre at all, with or without the Sprint case. When I did the exchange I also bought a TS for home, which sometimes worked, sometimes didn't charge.

So yesterday I went to the Sprint store to exchange both Touchstones. The salesperson told me, "It's unusual to have two that don't work ..." I said, "No it's not!" The manager then took my Pre to his office and claimed that everything worked with the Pre out of the case. He was entirely unswayed by my pointing out that at least *sometimes* it didn't work even without the case. So ... They gave me a new case, which I insisted on trying in the store, and sure enough the case (which, yes, is specifically made to work with TS) prevented it from charging. They wouldn't let me try another case -- they offered to give me a refund for it -- and they wouldn't let me exchange the Touchstones either. They weren't nasty, but not very flexible either.

So I did what seemed like the only rational option at the time. I returned *everything* for a refund, ordered another case, and ordered the 2-Touchstone kit from the PreCentral store. Now there's an establishment I'd rather support!
  18. sde
    UK O2, 1.3.1

My Pre is doing this quite a bit now. Power cycle seems to be the only fix.
    Mine does this, and in addition to it, will not receive any incoming our outgoing signals (calls, text, voicemail, etc). Does anyone else have that issue when it won't charge?