Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    Is been 2 months I use the Pre with its original Leather case:

When I looked today at the screen, it is scratched exactly where it gets into contact with the silk ribbon. Anyone who owns this case, knows that the phone sits inside tight. If you stick your hand inside the case, you will notice a thin bump, about half inch wide, against the rear wall. This is where the screen touches and the bump makes slowly a blurry mark.

Honestly, I don't really mind, eventually every phone gets ruined. But the leather cover is a Palm product designed to protect your phone, not to ruin it. I will wait few more months for the mark to get worst and call Palm to replace the phone.

I could buy a screen protector but I find it ridiculous to do that, if I have a case. The phone is in perfect condition, scratchless... I can see the thick mark only when the screen is black.

Edit: There is an article published on Precentral about this case. Someone else had the same issue:
    "I like this case, but the ribbon caused a "smudge" to appear on my InvisiShield screen protector. It will not wash off. Had the screen protector replaced, haven't used the case since. I think this is related to the case being too tight. If it wasn't, there wouldn't be so much pressure on the ribbon rubbing against the Pre itself."
    Last edited by T3CK; 10/29/2009 at 10:39 PM.
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
    maybe its just you buddy, I've owned the case since day one without issue.
    I get that also but i can rub right out.
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    Maybe I got a bad case. There is only one way you can insert the phone in that case.
    The case is really tight on the phone. I use the original battery with a touchstone cover.
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    maybe its just you buddy, I've owned the case since day one without issue.
    I've only owned mine for a month or so, but there is most certainly no problem with mine, and I don't use a screen protector.

When I pull the pre out of the case, there is a clear line on the screen from the ribbon.

However, that line is not a scratch. When you use a touch screen, you get finger prints on it (gasp).

When you put it in a case that touches the screen, the case will move the oils from your fingers around, and leave streaks where it rubbed.

Take a kleenex, and wipe your screen off.

Problem solved.
    Quote Originally Posted by T3CK View Post
    Maybe I got a bad case. There is only one way you can insert the phone in that case.
    The case is really tight on the phone. I use the original battery with a touchstone cover.
    I also use the original battery and touchstone cover.

If it really is a scratch, which I doubt given the fact that the materials of the case are much softer than the screen, then you got a bad one and you need to call palm and have them BOTH replaced.
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    Ya, I tried to clean the screen several times with a lens liquid. The screen is impeccable, except that area where the silk ribbon touches the screen, when sitting inside the case. There is no biggie, I can only see the blurry mark only when the screen is off.

I simply wanted to know if your cases are also really tight on the phone. Personally, I cannot pull the phone out, when the case is attached to my belt, is that tight. I have to pull the case out first, then the phone. By the time I do all this, the call is gone to voicemail.
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
    I've had the case since launch day. I like it. Looks good, works great--totally easy to pop the phone out with one hand unless you have some sort of disability, and protects the phone like it should.

The downers on the Palm side case are really stretching if you ask me.
    I simply wanted to know if your cases are also really tight on the phone. Personally, I cannot pull the phone out, when the case is attached to my belt, is that tight. I have to pull the case out first, then the phone. By the time I do all this, the call is gone to voicemail.
    You do know that if you pull on the ribbon the ohone pops out half way, making it completely easy to remove, right?
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    LOL, ya I know. If I pull the ribbon, the case will rather lift my pants instead of pulling the phone out. That's the reason why I grab the case in my hand, then I pull the ribbon.
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
    LOL, ya I know. If I pull the ribbon, the case will rather lift my pants instead of pulling the phone out. That's the reason why I grab the case in my hand, then I pull the ribbon.
    The case is tight, and it's supposed to be.

However, if yours is THAT tight, something is wrong. I keep mine clipped to my belt on a pair of dress slacks at work, and I have no such problems.

I can see how the case might mar the screen if it was that tight, but it's not supposed to be.
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    Thanks guys. I will go tomorrow to a Bell store and try a different case to see how tight it is.
    While reading an article on Precentral, it looks that other people had the same issue as myself. Check the first post.
    Last edited by T3CK; 10/29/2009 at 10:40 PM.
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
    Just remember, it is meant to be a tight fitting case, but what you're describing is not normal. Pulling the ribbon should pop the pre out without lifting the case off your belt.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    I purchased the palm case on launch day and I have the same problem. Originally, I was putting the phone in the case with the screen facing my body. I read on the forum that the screen should face the oppisite side of your body. The scratch is dead smack in the center of the screen. The screen protector will hide the scratch, but I just do not like it. Its like buying leather seats in your car and putting seat covers over the leather. If I am buying the leather seats, my **** is sitting on them. I love the look of my screen with no protector.
    Mine is not that tight. Very easy to get the phone in and out and the ribbon is a snap to use.
    I have the same little ribbon mark on mine,after 4 months. You can only see it with the screen off and spotless. I never used the ribbon,now removed, to get my Pre out. I lift the flap and put my thumb on the corner of the phone and rock it up, like cocking a pistol. The only drawback once in a while I shut the ringer off. Also I punched a 3/8" hole that lines up with the speaker, below the flap and facing out, that really helps.

I really love the Pre and the holster, but we are kinda like Palm crash dummies. Hope everthing works out for you.
    Is been 2 months I use the Pre with its original Leather case:

When I looked today at the screen, it is scratched exactly where it gets into contact with the silk ribbon. Anyone who owns this case, knows that the phone sits inside tight. If you stick your hand inside the case, you will notice a thin bump, about half inch wide, against the rear wall. This is where the screen touches and the bump makes slowly a blurry mark.

Honestly, I don't really mind, eventually every phone gets ruined. But the leather cover is a Palm product designed to protect your phone, not to ruin it. I will wait few more months for the mark to get worst and call Palm to replace the phone.

I could buy a screen protector but I find it ridiculous to do that, if I have a case. The phone is in perfect condition, scratchless... I can see the thick mark only when the screen is black.

Edit: There is an article published on Precentral about this case. Someone else had the same issue:
    "I like this case, but the ribbon caused a "smudge" to appear on my InvisiShield screen protector. It will not wash off. Had the screen protector replaced, haven't used the case since. I think this is related to the case being too tight. If it wasn't, there wouldn't be so much pressure on the ribbon rubbing against the Pre itself."
    The same happened to me palm should give us new phones. i care for my phone like its a baby.. and i thought the case would protect it.. ironically it was its demise lol
    Quote Originally Posted by harold42483 View Post
    The same happened to me palm should give us new phones. i care for my phone like its a baby.. and i thought the case would protect it.. ironically it was its demise lol
    I actually agree completely.

The case is not supposed to be 'that' tight, and a palm branded case certainly shouldn't damage the palm phone it was made for.

Call Palm.
    I agree, sounds like some have cases that are too tight. I face my screen towards my body and have never had trouble getting the phone out with the ribbon.
    Last edited by jbg7474; 10/30/2009 at 11:10 AM.
    Same marks on mine T3CK, so you're not alone. But my case is not as tight as you're describing yours to be (phone is snug, but not clamped in there ). I can easily pull on the ribbon to lift the phone out.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers