1.    #1  
    This may not fix all the problems folks are having, but one of the main problems with the Touchstone quitting is the phone back cover. It's made of material too soft to stand up to the repeated pull of the magnet. It pulls the contacts away from making contact. So the problem is not with the Touchstone, it is with the back. What I did, was to apply pressure to the back to form it back into shape and then I, with magnification, pulled the contacts up with tweezers, being very careful not to apply too much pressure to have them touch the cover again. Now I am careful to slide the phone off the Touchstone, and not to pull straight away bending the back again.
    Rocky
    Interesting... Will have to check that out on mine as my Touchstone appeared to 'die' earlier this week.
    I noticed the other day, when I reseated the back cover due to a few times it stopped/restarted charging on the Touchstone, that one of the metal contacts that sticks up on the back of the Pre was bent upwards a bit. I tried pushing it back into place gently with my finger and I haven't had an issue with the restarting charging again.

Interesting if the magnets cause these to pull out of place!
    Great post Rocky. Sometimes the answer is right under our nose. And when you discover it you just want to do the "V-8" thing and slap your forehead.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sonstaff View Post
    This may not fix all the problems folks are having, but one of the main problems with the Touchstone quitting is the phone back cover. It's made of material too soft to stand up to the repeated pull of the magnet. It pulls the contacts away from making contact. So the problem is not with the Touchstone, it is with the back. What I did, was to apply pressure to the back to form it back into shape and then I, with magnification, pulled the contacts up with tweezers, being very careful not to apply too much pressure to have them touch the cover again. Now I am careful to slide the phone off the Touchstone, and not to pull straight away bending the back again.
    I am not sure if I understand this. You bent the contacts up on the inside of the back? Take a look at my pics and tell me if im on the right track. I've been looking for a fix for this since I got my touchstone because I have had nothing but problems with them. I even got a new pre just yesterday because when I took it to a sprint store the tech told me it was the phone so they ordered me a new one. Happy with a new pre unhappy to see the same issue with two touchstones and two backs

http://img196.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=dsc03523m.jpg
    Last edited by rooofey; 10/27/2009 at 07:11 AM. Reason: add link
  6.    #6  
    No, No, NO, not the back...the phone! But be careful, they don't move hardly at all. I also scraped the back contacts, to make sure they were clean.
    Rocky
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    I don't know if i can get in there those pins are small. Did I damage the back by doing that? Good thing I have two to work with lol
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    well im pretty sure im makin progress. it still has the same issue but it does not do it as much at all. before i couldnt even make it to 100% but now i can but doesnt constantly disconnect and reconnect. did you bend the contacts on the phone so there is more in contact with the back?
    intresting indeed, a bit risky i think but my touchstone is one and off so maybe i might give this a try one day
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Never had any problems with my touchstone/back...

Maybe I got a good set? lol
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    i think u r on to summin, if i push on my ts back cover on my phone & place it on the TS it seems to work! this evening i ever so slightly pulled on th econtacts on the phone it seems to help a little my next idea was to slide 1 or 2 pices of tabe behind the cover contacts to push them out a bit, if i ever remember i will bgrab my contact cleaner & electrical lube to help continuity.
  12. rpr
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    This will work in some cases, you can check by lightly pressing on the phone while it's on the TS, if it charges reliably, and stops when you release, that it your problem. I have 3 TSes and only one of them doesn't work correctly with the same phone, so it's not the phone, in my case. Good tip though!
    Pilot 1000 -> Palm Pro -> Palm III -> Handspring Visor -> Palm V -> Palm TX -> Palm LifeDrive -> Kyocera 6035 -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Palm Pre
    I'm not sure how many of you are using the USB to micro USB cable and AC adapter that came with your Pre, but that was the issue for me. I had a couple of AC adapters that were Micro USB that worked to charge my Pre directly just fine. But when I used those same chargers to power the Touchstone I began to have all kinds of quirky charging issues. Switched back to the original cable and adapter and voila... everything works without a hitch.