1.    #1  
    Hi,

I just had the weirdest thing happen to me tonight!

I had my phone on the Touchstone charger and when I placed it there, the beep sound came on and the phone said it was charging.

I went about doing my thing, watching TV, reading PreCentral, etc.

Then all of sudden, I looked over and my Pre had the big lightening bolt going across the screen with an icon of a depleted battery.

I somehow thought maybe it was some kind of instant drain, and was charging since I saw that on the screen.

To be safe, I pulled the cable out of the Touchstone and plugged it directly into the Pre.

The Pre turned on and booted up and said it was charging and the battery level was a 3%?

How could I have gotten to 3% if I was on the Touchstone and it said it was charging.

So now my questions is, is the beep and the phone saying it's charging only because the phone senses that it's on the magnet? And not that it's actually sensing a voltage?

So once more, I'm back to my original question, is there a way to test the Touchstone to see if it's doing a real charge?

And if it is really still working, how could my Pre completely drain a battery instantly?

Thanks!

Rob

PS Is the Touchstone covered by a warranty?

One more question: Do you know if it's possible to double charge, in that I am charging my Pre on the Touchstone and also have a USB cable plugged in, and hit the charge only mode. Can you charge faster that way?
    Last edited by rlanza1054; 10/25/2009 at 11:32 PM. Reason: grammer and additional info
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Lucky for me, my wife and I both have Pre's with a Touchstone back. We also have 3 Touchstone's amongst us. So, I would switch out the Pre's to see if they work on one Touchstone.

There may be an issue with the Touchstone back. There are two metal contacts where the Touchstone back touches the battery. Check to see if those are dirty or damaged. I think Palm warrants their devices, but I dont know what you would do to get a replacement (probably call Palm).

Interesting proposal...I will try to 'double-charge' and let you know. I dont have an extra USB cable at work though...it will have to wait. But I would imagine the Pre getting REALLY hot! So watch out!
    one of the main problems with the Touchstone quitting is the phone back cover. It's made of material too soft to stand up to the repeated pull of the magnet. It pulls the contacts away from making contact. So the problem is not with the Touchstone, it is with the back. What I did, was to apply pressure to the back to form it back into shape and then I, with magnification, pulled the contacts up with tweezers, being very careful not to apply too much pressure to have them touch the cover again. Now I am careful to slide the phone off the Touchstone, and not to pull straight away bending the back again.
    Rocky
    Try touching your tongue to it to see if you get a shock like you would with a nine volt battery.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by ChipOC View Post
    Try touching your tongue to it to see if you get a shock like you would with a nine volt battery.
    At first I thought you were kidding me, but then I realized that you actually meant it and it actually makes perfect sense and would be a good test.

So I assume I would detach the back cover from the Pre, and place the back cover on the Touchstone, and then lick the contacts on the back of the cover.

That just might be the best test yet!

Rob

PS I do have extra usb cables, so I knew I could always charge the Pre directly from the cable.

I think I might have discovered the problem. I think I might have left running in the background that Vuivision Television beta product which allows you to watch real TV in real time. I might have left that running, and that kills the battery faster than the Touchstone could charge it. Does this sound like why it would drain on the Touchstone?

It does seem to be working today!
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Must be gremlins! In my post above, I only addressed one issue...it appears there are others, too. Rats! I thought I found the magic bullet.
    Rocky