1.    #1  
    I just bought this car with the Media Hub option. So far I have not been able to get a USB connection from my Pre to work either in Media Sync or USB mode. I guess there is also a BT Streaming Media option that I don't have.

Has anyone been able to use a Pre with the Outback media hub or BT streaming audio? I called Palm and they say I need to wait for a firmware update to support any of this. If I knew the BT option would work, I would add it.

I was hoping when I got the car with this option that I would be able to use my Pre with it somehow, does anyone have any suggestions?

I have been able to play mp3 files from a thumb drive.
    Last edited by duallydave; 10/21/2009 at 10:54 PM.
    the USB protocal they use is different. It also will not sync up with PS3s or xboxs for some reason.

But either way its best to not put it in USB mode when in your car IMHO. Reason is you can't receive calls when in either of those 2 modes.

Worse part is we are very alike . I want to change my HU so i can get one that works eith my pre instead of going the cheaper route and getting another phone
  3.    #3  
    I would consider getting something like a Kenwood DNX6140 or 7140, but I'm told that nobody makes the install kits yet due to the car being a new model, so the install place says they would have to fabricate something, which would greatly increase the install price. I did not really want to get the factory nav unit, but the Kenwood has a Garmin GPS inside.

Thanks for pointing out that USB mode prevents phone use. The thumb drive accomplishes the same thing, but it starts with the first song on the drive every time, I need to figure out if I can browse with it.

I'm hoping somebody has used the BT option successfully, it would be easy to add that on to the existing setup, just a plugin module I think. I'm not sure about using the phone for both calls and streaming through one BT connect, seems like it should....
    North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club might be a good place to find some info on it. I drive an 04 WRX so welcome to the family
  5.    #5  
    Thanks, this is actually my second subaru. I did buy a 9140 - I will pick up my car tomorrow. Hopefully the BT will work properly - I know it will for the audio streaming, I did that with thier demo model.
    Quote Originally Posted by duallydave View Post
    I would consider getting something like a Kenwood DNX6140 or 7140, but I'm told that nobody makes the install kits yet due to the car being a new model, so the install place says they would have to fabricate something, which would greatly increase the install price. I did not really want to get the factory nav unit, but the Kenwood has a Garmin GPS inside.

Thanks for pointing out that USB mode prevents phone use. The thumb drive accomplishes the same thing, but it starts with the first song on the drive every time, I need to figure out if I can browse with it.

I'm hoping somebody has used the BT option successfully, it would be easy to add that on to the existing setup, just a plugin module I think. I'm not sure about using the phone for both calls and streaming through one BT connect, seems like it should....
    I just recently installed the Kenwood DNX6140 and have been able to pair it with the Palm Pre. The Bluetooth/Hands free is probably the biggest disappointment. The sound quality on the receiving end is terrible...I have not yet been able to try syncing another phone to see if that is the issue. Also, being able to dial from the phonebook on the 6140 is hit or miss...sometimes it's grayed out, other times it works fine. I can easily stream music via bluetooth however.
  7.    #7  
    I have the 9140 installed now, I posted pics in my gallery at SUBARU OUTBACK - Kenwood DNX9140 in 2010 OB

The handsfree seems to work fine, no problems so far. It is quite nice to use the phone this way while driving, more comfortable and clearer sound then using a headset. If your system has a microphone mounted somewhere like mine, perhaps moving your microphone would help the outgoing sound quality issue. Streaming music from my Pre works fine as well. I have mostly just received calls so far, I have not used the phonebook a lot.
    Don't forget to add your review here: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...r-stereos.html

That way we can help anyone in our situation