webOS Nation Forums >  Stuff for your webOS Device >  webOS Accessories > is there a way to boost bluetooth call volume? (im using a jawbone)
is there a way to boost bluetooth call volume? (im using a jawbone)

Old 10/16/2009, 09:24 AM   #1 (permalink)

I was wondering if anyone else is having this problem and if there is a fix or workaround for it.

Im using the origional jawbone headset, I ussually use a bluetooth headset for all of my phone calls and after trying a few, the jawbone has worked the best or me as far as hearing people and they hearing and understanding me.

My problem is that the volume on the pre is low when Im using my jawbone. it seems like the pre has linked the volume controls on the jawbone with the phone's volume and the loudest isnt loud enough when Im in a car. Most other phones Ive used with the jawbone (blackberry bold, blackbery flip, iphone) the volume on the jawbone was in addition to the volume on the phones itself.

just wondering if there is any kind of sound booster app or patch or any kind of workaround....theres no way the volume should be as low as it is when using the jawbone. but like I said, its only a problem when Im driving. the normal driving noise is enough to where if the person is talking normally or if they talk a little lower than normal, I cant make out anything they are saying....completely different experience than with any other phone Ive used with the jawbone
kingdavid757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: galavanter
Old 10/16/2009, 10:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
xtn

My jawbone volume does seem connected to the phone's volume directly. When I change the phone's volume I hear it on the jawbone, and when I change the jawbone's volume I see it happen on the phone.

If your model doesn't work as I described, make sure you've set the phone volume up AND the jawbone volume up.

It isn't super loud, but it's decent enough for me to have a normal conversation in my F250 diesel truck with big mud tires humming down the highway.

xtn
xtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/16/2009, 11:12 AM   #3 (permalink)

yea that is how it works, its just not loud enough. I can switch back to my blackberry and its fine, but with the pre is isnt loud enough...maybe you have better hearing than I do but I know if I was in a truck with big loud tires, I would definitely not be able to hear someone talk. right now Im driving an older nissan which is in no way a quiet car, and I can barely hear people when I talk...which wasn't a problem with my 2 blackberrys or iphone
kingdavid757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/16/2009, 05:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

Have you experimented to see what happens if you have the Pre's phone volume cranked before powering up and pairing the jawbone? It's a longshot I know, but something to try...

PalmPilot Professional, Palm V, Kyocera 7135, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Palm Prē & Prē 2, HP TouchPad & Veer
ktessner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/16/2009, 05:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
qqq

for whatever reason the bluetooth volume on the pre is maxed at 85% or something like that. Even if you raise the volume with the volume buttons to 100%, it's still only 100% of 85%. I don't think there's any way to change the bluetooth volume from the webos UI, but if you can get a root shell on your phone you can do it with this lovely command: (as root, all on one line)
Code:
sqlite3 /var/preferences/com.palm.audio/prefsDB.sl "UPDATE data SET value = '{ "volume": 99 }' where key = 'phone_bluetooth_sco_volume';"
You'll have to do it again if you reboot the phone - i haven't found where it's initialized so I don't know how to make it permanent.
qqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/16/2009, 05:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

I used Jabra eargels to amplify the volume of my Jawbone 1.0 when I was using my 700p.
BMIC50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/16/2009, 05:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
I used Jabra eargels to amplify the volume of my Jawbone 1.0 when I was using my 700p.
+1
-m
diomark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/16/2009, 06:44 PM   #8 (permalink)

I have the old jawbone and can only add that the orientation of the ear bud in my ear makes a huge difference, very little misalignment really kills it. Similar to you I have very poor hearing but it works reasonably well in my 02 Dodge diesel pickup.

hope that helps some.
tmox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/19/2009, 11:18 PM   #9 (permalink)

any other way to do this other than rooting the pre? Having the same problem with my Motorola bluetooth.
asaetern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/20/2009, 02:39 AM   #10 (permalink)

I started a thread about this very issue a couple of months ago. It got a couple responses and then died:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/we...-possible.html

Glad to see others feel the same.

qqq you give me hope someone might create a patch for this problem. Thanks very much for the code but I prefer not to root. I do have many Homebrew apps and patches applied through WOSQI and Preware. Hopefully what you have here is a good start for a permanent patch.

I will gladly pay a sawbuck for this patch!

Jason?
galavanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/23/2009, 10:06 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by galavanter View Post
I started a thread about this very issue a couple of months ago. It got a couple responses and then died:

[url]

Glad to see others feel the same.

qqq you give me hope someone might create a patch for this problem. Thanks very much for the code but I prefer not to root. I do have many Homebrew apps and patches applied through WOSQI and Preware. Hopefully what you have here is a good start for a permanent patch.

I will gladly pay a sawbuck for this patch!

Jason?
I feel the same I might look into rooting if nothing comes out anytime soon
asaetern is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0