Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1.    #1  
    First, does the Touchstone transmit all the time, or does it only turn on when the phone is attached? And secondly, approximately how much slower does it charge compared to plugging the Pre into the USB charger?? Thanks everyone!
  2. sam1am's Avatar
    Posts
    172 Posts
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    #2  
    Don't know about your first question, but the touchstone does charge slightly slower than plugging in (according to some initial tests I read). The difference, however, was negligible.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by sam1am View Post
    Don't know about your first question, but the touchstone does charge slightly slower than plugging in (according to some initial tests I read). The difference, however, was negligible.
    If it's only slightly slower, that's fine. Plus the improved functionality easily compensates for that. However, it seems to me that if the touchstone stayed on all the time, it would significantly increase power consumption compared to just plugging in the USB charger. So I'm a little worried...
  4. #4  
    Transmit? There is no data connection available via the TS.

    Quote Originally Posted by Peteman100 View Post
    First, does the Touchstone transmit all the time, or does it only turn on when the phone is attached?
    Looks like we were posting at the same time....the TS is only drawing current while it's charging something (well it might draw a mA or something like everything less while plugged in but that's it).
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    Transmit? There is no data connection available via the TS.
    By transmit, I mean the magnetic field which induces the current which charges the Pre.
  6. Tyndall's Avatar
    Posts
    198 Posts
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    #6  
    only draws when the magnets on the back of the Pre complete the circuit.

    I find no noticeable difference charging from the TS to the USB direct.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyndall View Post
    only draws when the magnets on the back of the Pre complete the circuit.

    I find no noticeable difference charging from the TS to the USB direct.
    This is what I wanted to know! Thanks!
  8. JKTex's Avatar
    Posts
    376 Posts
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyndall View Post
    only draws when the magnets on the back of the Pre complete the circuit.

    I find no noticeable difference charging from the TS to the USB direct.
    Ditto.

    And if I want it to charge much faster, I put the Pre in Airplane mode.
  9. #9  
    I disagree with the fact that the touchstone does not transmit a magnetic field all the time. It most certainly does transmit a magnetic field all the time even when not plugged in.

    Simple test. Have touchstone unplugged, put paperclip on it. Does it stick? There's your answer. The magnetic field is always present on the touchstone since itself is a magnet. That is just how magnets work. The magnetic field of a permanent magnet does not "go away". As for the magnitude of this magnetic field, I do not know the answer to this.
  10. #10  
    I think he's asking whether the magnets draw power while not charging the attached Pre. This would be true if the magnets where electrical as opposed to magnetic materials. As the pre will still stick even if the TS is unplugged then the magnets do not draw power, as they are natural magnets. They are probably wound with wire so when they need to charge the magnetic field can be amplified electrically. In that state, it would draw power.

Posting Permissions