Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I got tired of how the Sprint case for the Pre barely makes contact with the Touchstone, and kind of slides around a bit. So I busted out the handy Dremel tool, with my supervisor watching:

It's Mickey Pit Bull!

The case is still pretty sturdy - it is pretty thick, almost twice as thick as a rocketfish case back:

On the Pre:

Like a glove!

The Pre now sits snugly on the Touchstone base while wearing the Sprint case
    Very nice!
    Looks good.
    That is some fine Dremel work! Looks OEM, nice!
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    Why have the case?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sovvy View Post
    Why have the case?
    To protect his Pre maybe?

Having that hole in the back still afford the Pre most of the protection. If the Pre lands flat, it still lands on the case.

If it lands on a corner or edge, it still lands on the case.

The built in rail system in that case still corrects and prevents oreo.
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    That looks awesome.
    Nice work... I never run out of reasons to own a rotary tool.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    great work

*claps*
    What dremel bit did you use? Looks very very clean around the edges. I would like to do this to mine.

Thanks
    Ahh...sweet...glad I found this thread...although I don't have any problems with any of my current touchstones & my sprint (AGF?) case. I *did* have a flaky touchstone where you had to push the phone onto the touchstone with pressure to get a consistent charge (it otherwise went ding...ding...ding...all thorugh the night). Returned the touchstone & the next one worked just fine. But this is a great case mod, and excuse to use my rotary tool!
    kinda looks like mickey mouse..lol
    Quote Originally Posted by roygbiv View Post
    Ahh...sweet...glad I found this thread...although I don't have any problems with any of my current touchstones & my sprint (AGF?) case. I *did* have a flaky touchstone where you had to push the phone onto the touchstone with pressure to get a consistent charge (it otherwise went ding...ding...ding...all thorugh the night). Returned the touchstone & the next one worked just fine. But this is a great case mod, and excuse to use my rotary tool!
    So, here's an update... my success with the touchstone didn't last long at all. i found that it seemed to be temperature dependent, and when it heated up (close to full charge) it would crap out again (ding ding ding),a nd then would drain out whatever was left. Great.

So...I did the dremel tool fix. It's a darn good fix. No problems now charging with the touchstone, I'm happy as a clam wrt both the modified case & the touchstone(s).

A suggestion I can give folks who're doing this themselves...take a look at DryBear's pic of his modified case:

On the right side there, you see where the volume-control opening is? If you were to dremel-out all of the touchstone depression, you'd actually cut into the volume-control opening. It appears that DryBear left a small bit of of the cut-out intact, keeping that triangular piece of cover intact. That's how I recommend doing it. If you remove all of the circular cut-out entirely, there's a pointy end that can potentially catch alot of pocket lint & snag on things. Otherwise, it's easy-peasy.
    I did the exact same thing back in July and posted it on this thread: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ouchstone.html

As DryBear states, not only do you get improved TS connection... it's actually better than WITHOUT the case, as the lips now prevent the Pre from sliding off the magnetic pull... you now have to lift the Pre off the TS. This has helped quite a bit in my car TS, mounted on the dash. When I first set it up I went out and drove like a madman, daring the Pre to come off the TS, swerving, braking hard, over railroad tracks, offroading... the Pre took it all, which is more than I can say for the rest of the stuff in my Jeep.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Here's an easier way to access a quick check on battery life, date/time, wi-fi/bluetooth settings, etc.

Instead of tapping on the battery icon on the top right; tap on the time on the upper panel...much easier to access.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Dremel-** is strong with this one.
    I like the way that looks, just as someone else had said, it looks "factory" good job!
    For Drybear, roygbiv and anyone else who has done the dremel mod, how is this working out? Is the case still solid? Also, in another thread people had talked about how the case mitigates the oreo effect. Is this your experience with the modified case? Last question is, what dremel bit did you use?

I love my pre and went into it knowing about the potential hardware issues. I've had it for about 27 days, am treating it with kid gloves and have a pronounced wobble that seems to be getting worse. Other than that the phone is perfect, so I'm going to try the Sprint case and hope that does the trick. I don't want to use the usb port for charging if I can help it and may have to try this modification.

Thanks for any info.
    Looks like a great idea. I want a case that I can use with my soon-to-be car mounted Touchstone.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    I did this and it sticks to the touchstone great but it was annoying to hold it in my hand with that hole in the back. :/
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast