Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by scott091981 View Post
    That is some fine Dremel work! Looks OEM, nice!
    +1 Very nice, professional looking Dremel work!
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    I was trying that process on a non Pre case. I just got the one made and sold by Sprint.

And it does fit snugly and fixes the oreo effect for sure.

The slider is very tight, but hoping that will loosen up a bit.

I might dremel this case as well, but I have tried on other cases and I wasn't good.

I have so many cases now, I can open a store!!!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Global Posts
    631 Global Posts
    I just did mine, don't know why I didn't do it sooner. The Pre fits perfectly on the Touchstone now.
    Quote Originally Posted by PreGk View Post
    I just did mine, don't know why I didn't do it sooner. The Pre fits perfectly on the Touchstone now.
    Let's see a pic of the modified case.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Global Posts
    631 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder View Post
    Let's see a pic of the modified case.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    489 Global Posts
    HOw did you dremel it so uniformly?
    Global Posts
    631 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by navinag View Post
    HOw did you dremel it so uniformly?
    Well, the indent for the circle is already there, so I used that edge as a guide. It didn't come out as "finished" as the OP, but I just started using a Dremel so I don't have much experience. I used the drill bit type attachment that has a special design for cutting. There is probably a better but to use I am sure. After cutting the hole, I used a bit with a cone shape at the end to smooth the edges. The case looks pretty good on the Pre, and it is easier for me to work the slide now because the cutout gives me a place to "grip" the back of the Pre.
  8.    #28  
    Following up - so far the case has held up well without any problems. It has even survived a fall to a tiled floor from pocket height (about a 3 feet). It was quite dramatic, as the case came apart with the two halves going in different directions. The Pre itself was thankfully unharmed, and the only damaged sustained was a break in the front chromed case. This was fixed with some superglue, and while its not as pretty as it was before, still works well.

The second red front cover I still have is being prepped for paint.

In regards to the dremel job, I used a small cutting disc to cut out the meat of the circle, then followed up by grinding down the remaining area to the indent using a 60 grit sanding band, followed by cleanup with a 240 grit sanding band to smooth it out.
    Do you want to start a small business and resell these?

I would pay a $10 to $15 dollar premium.
    Last edited by swieder; 01/30/2010 at 07:26 AM.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12