1.    #1  
    Can somebody who has a Touchstone that operates properly please tell me how it is supposed to work (seeing how Palm's operating manual is so thorough. ) Once you place it on the charger isn't it supposed to go to 100% and then stop? I have seen plenty of posts about how it is not supposed to work, but none really on how it is supposed to work.

I just bought my Touchstone online from Buy.com & it charges my Pre to 92% then keeps notifying every couple of seconds "Charging Battery" with Ba-Bing.

I called Palm Support about this and they act like they have never heard this before, despite the fact that I have seen many posts on it. The first tech support person said that that she though it was proper operation. I called back & the second CSR thought it was weird and asked a Level 2 support person about it. Now thet're having a Level 3 call me tomorrow.
    You have a problem. Once mine is charged to 100% the battery indicator stays green and the charging indicator stays on. Make sure you have the Pre on the TS properly. Also might want to check the connection from the TS back on the Pre to the little wire leads on the back of the battery. Some people have reported that they need to bend these out a bit to fix the problem your taking about.
    Have you install the true battery percent tweak ? It is the one that show the TRUE rating of the battery and not just %. I just went to try and find it and am not having any luck at the moment.

I have not used my Touchstone ever since I bumped the phone at night causing it to be not centered right resulting in no battery power in the morning.
    How does this address the OP?

Quote Originally Posted by Finally Pre View Post
    Have you install the true battery percent tweak ? It is the one that show the TRUE rating of the battery and not just %. I just went to try and find it and am not having any luck at the moment.

I have not used my Touchstone ever since I bumped the phone at night causing it to be not centered right resulting in no battery power in the morning.
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    I had problems with my Touchstone when I was using a no-name charging cable I bought online. When I switched to the cable that came with the Pre, it worked list is supposed to (as mentioned, charge to 100% and stays there).
  6.    #6  
    ryleyinstl - Thanks for verifying; that is how I thought it was supposed to operate. I did try slightly bending the metal contacts because I too have seen that reported, but it didn't help.

Jeking- I am using all Palm parts (Touchstone, Backplate, USB cable, A/C adapter).

Finally Pre- I didn't install the true battery tweak, but one thing interesting to note... Palm Support had me run the Interactive Power Test located in Device Info. The test passes, but when it is done it reports 89% charged, while the battery meter in the upper right is indicating 92%.

I will be interested to hear what the Level 3 palm person says, and I'll report it. Let me know if you can think of anything for me to ask him concerning this issue.
    Last edited by SirRob94; 10/12/2009 at 12:00 PM.
    Does the phone charge to 100% when plugged directly to the line?
    Lets first conform this is a TS problem and not a issue with the phone or battery
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by scott091981 View Post
    Does the phone charge to 100% when plugged directly to the line?
    Lets first conform this is a TS problem and not a issue with the phone or battery
    It works fine charging without the Touchstone. I have used it for several weeks this way. It charges to 100% and stays that way without the repeating "Ba-Bing":
    - Using the the Palm USB cable in a PC.
    - Palm USB cable to Palm A/C adapter.
    - Non-Palm (Wireless Solutions) car charger.

I also have the latest O/S version 1.2.1. Although it has updated to this version three separate times for some reason.

The Touchstone appears so low-tech (electromagnet inducing voltage to backplate for battery.) that it almost seems like it is a FW issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by SirRob94 View Post
    It works fine charging without the Touchstone. I have used it for several weeks this way. It charges to 100% and stays that way without the repeating "Ba-Bing":
    - Using the the Palm USB cable in a PC.
    - Palm USB cable to Palm A/C adapter.
    - Non-Palm (Wireless Solutions) car charger.

I also have the latest O/S version 1.2.1. Although it has updated to this version three separate times for some reason.

The Touchstone appears so low-tech (electromagnet inducing voltage to backplate for battery.) that it almost seems like it is a FW issue.
    This is such a odd issue, take the FW out of the loop by turning the Pre off then placing it on the charger.
    With your additional information of charging different ways it sound like you might just want to send it back for exchange. Could even be a bad sending coil in stand or bad pickup on the back cover.
  11.    #11  
    Interesting... with the power turned off when I attach the phone to the sweet spot on the charger, sure enough, I can hear a very faint pulsing (Zzzzt - Zzzzt - Zzzzt) sound coming from the Touchstone. It doesn't appear to charge it like this though, because I just left it sitting there and turning it on it went down a few %.

One other comment about the operation while it is charging while powered on. When it hits the 92% and keeps repeating "Charging Battery"; if I ignore the annoying repeated Charging-Battery messages it will go past 92% up to 100% and sometimes gets very warm.
    Global Posts
    596 Global Posts
    ive had to swap a couple battery doors for some customers, my boss had the same issue, we swapped the door with another one and no more issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by SirRob94 View Post
    Palm Support had me run the Interactive Power Test located in Device Info. The test passes, but when it is done it reports 89% charged, while the battery meter in the upper right is indicating 92%.
    For your overall problem, sounds like a bad touchstone or battery door, but what you describe here is how it's supposed to work.

You don't want to keep pouring power into a Li-ion battery once it's full, so what the phone does is charge to 100%, stop charging until the battery gets down to 96% (I think 96%, but it may be 94%, I don't remember exactly), and then start charging it again back up to 100%. It does this back-and-forth charging for the health of the Li-ion battery, but this would naturally be disconcerting if someone didn't know what was happening if the battery % was going up and down all while charging. So, the OS of the phone hides this yo-yoing of the battery charge level, leaving it at 100% once it's been fully charged 1 time in a session. When you take the phone off the charger, the software scales the displayed number appropriately to still keep the battery drain roughly linear.

So if you phone was actually at 96 or 97% when you took it off the charger, but the phone scales 96% to display as 100%, then it would be roughly correct for it to display 92% when at 89%. The phone is just scaling it so it stays linear, and so the display and actual both reach zero at the same time.

When you run the interactive test, that program is apparently pulling the real battery % from the phone, rather than the scaled number that the top bar displays.
  14.    #14  
    Another data point...

I took the back plate off of the Palm Pre and laid it on the Touchstone. This emits a faint constant buzzing (Zzzzz). I measured 5.57volts DC with a multimeter across the two pads on the back plate while it was on there.
  15.    #15  
    Followup...
    Level 3 palm person recommended replacing the entire Touchstone kit like pretty much everybody here said. They had me send back the one that I had and overnighted me a new one.

Sure enough, the problem is fixed. It charges all the way up to 100% now without repeating "Charging Battery".

I measured the voltage output of the new back plate laying on the Touchstone to be 5.55V DC. So there is not much difference there. I wish I would have looked at the wave before and after with an O-Scope and I could have seen the problem.
    I just got my Touchstone today (as an early Christmas present), and one of my batteries charged fine (no ba-bing sound), but the other one did the sound for a while before it started acting normally again. I can't be 100% sure, but I think in my case, it may have been a battery issue. Hopefully, it's done, though. I'll report back if I have further problems.
    the only problems i have with my touchstone is that it warms my phone up like crazy and it takes forever to charge my phone