Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    The Jabra Cruiser (model SP715) just came out. Costco has it for $69.99. Best Buy has the Motorola T505 on sale for $79.99. Which should I buy?

I want to do hands-free speakerphone and also stream MP3 to my FM radio. Both units do this. I live in Chicago, an area with very few vacant FM frequencies, so I'm guessing that no device will give me clear streaming to the FM radio.

Any thoughts? It looks like the Jabra model has many upgrades over the SP700, its precursor.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    I just ordered my Jabra Cruiser. Looking forward to using it. I have not been a fan of the bluetooth ear pieces, I have used several and they just hurt my ears. Has anyone got their hands on one yet and used it with Pre? Any reviews?
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jlehrer View Post
    The Jabra Cruiser (model SP715) just came out. Costco has it for $69.99.
    That price can't be right....is it? I just ordered mine through the precentral store and look forward to receiving it tomorrow!

I found this thread with a youtube video for those that might be interested. Otherwise, very little in the way of reviews anywhere on the net.

http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=195306
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    I got my Jabra Cruiser on Amazon for around $70 ...love it!! Works pretty well especially through the radio not just as a speaker. Even figured out how to stream my Pandora throught it. I would highly recommend this for anyone who hates Bluetooth headsets.
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    I just got mine today, but can't seem to upload my contact list from the Pre. I can't make outgoing calls. How did you handle? Thanks, Mickie
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    I have the t505, haven't experienced anything with the jabra one but I can say that I am very impressed with the t505. I use it for calls, music and music from pandora too all off the fm transmitter so it comes out loud and clear from my car speakers. Quality of the audio is very good, not cd quality of course but I'm still impressed. I got mine off newegg.com for 60 shipped. I've had it since july with no problems at all and the battery life is great, only charge it twice a month and my commute to work is 30 mins each way. So if u do decide to choose the t505 I don't think you'll regret it judging from my experience.
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Can you voice dial on the 505? How did you upload your contact list? I have the Jabra Cruiser and can't initiate a call due to the lack of Pre having voice dialing...
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickie View Post
    I just got mine today, but can't seem to upload my contact list from the Pre. I can't make outgoing calls. How did you handle? Thanks, Mickie
    Mickie, I don't believe either the T505 or the Cruiser allow you to upload a contact list to the unit. My wife has the Yada YD-V16. That is a bluetooth rearview mirror phone with an uploadable contact list. Very neat and works well. She loves it. The sound quality is not as good as the Jabra Cruiser but it's not bad either. It has a display built-in to the mirror itself so you can scroll through your contact list (not sure what the contact limit is). My wife even prefers the mirror to her car's original! No FM transmission though so you cannot stream your music or podcasts through the mirror.

Here is the link: http://www.letsyada.com/yd-v16.html
    Last edited by Quintus; 11/06/2009 at 10:56 AM.
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    I have had the Jabra Cruiser now for a few days and I have to say that I am really liking it. Very sleek little machine. For those who care about esthetics, it sure doesn't look like a garage door opener.

The sound quality seems better than my Aliph Jawbone II as it sounds a little more natural. The FM transmission is pretty good although obviously you are losing some sound quality going from A2DP to FM transmission. I found that the sound quality was noticeably better when I streamed music from the Pre direct to the car's stereo via A2DP (This is done using an Insignia Bluetooth ipod adapter (NS-BT300F) connected to an ipod dock which is hard-wired to the car's stereo.)

What I have done, therefore, is that I have gone back to using my ipod to listen to my music collection (no big deal because I always leave my ipod in the car anyways as I have no other use for it) and I use the Jabra Cruiser to listen to internet radio and podcasts through my Pre.

Don't get me wrong, the FM transmission is not poor, it is actually pretty good, just not as good as using A2DP via the ipod adapter and I'm a bit of an enthusiast when it comes to audio sound. (Don't start flaming me here....I know that A2DP is not that great either. Trust me, I have an Arcam AVR-600 receiver (yes, the flagship unit) at home powering Totem speakers so I know exactly what excellent audio should sound like.)

Another thing I have been told, however, is that the person on the other end of the line is hearing their own voice when you use the Jabra's built-in speaker. This goes away when you use the FM transmitter to transmit the caller's voice through the car's stereo. I rarely use the speaker on the Cruiser so not a big deal. Everything sounds better through the car speaker anyways.

One thing worth noting is that the volume of the FM transmission cannot be changed via the unit's volume buttons once the transmission begins. I have found, however, that if you increase the volume on the Jabra's speakerphone to max and then initiate the FM transmission, the sound is louder. (Of course, don't forget to max the volume on your Pre as well as this also affects the volume of the FM transmission.)

Once all of your settings are done, however, the unit pretty much runs itself. It has auto shut-off and when you reenter the car, it connects at the touch of a button. Another touch of a button and you have your FM transmission going. When a call comes in, your music or podcast is paused and the call is answered at a touch of a button. When the call ends, the music or podcast automatically resumes.

Very easy, very functional, very sleek, very good.
    Last edited by Quintus; 11/07/2009 at 07:02 PM.
    I have had the Jabra Cruiser for a couple of days now. In general it works great but a couple of problems could be deal breakers.

I was using a cheap wired FM transmitter which allowed an FM setting of 87.5 which worked great in my area but the Jabra only goes down to 88.1. I have had to experiment with different frequencies to find one that is empty as I drive around town.

A bigger problem is that the FM transmitter just shuts off at random times while listening to a podcast. It is supposed to shut off after 10 minutes if it is not being used but I was USING it. It is very annoying to suddenly hear static while listening to a podcast.

I have also found the FM volume to be lower than other stations which is a big problem when switching back and forth. I discovered that turning up the volume on the Pre was at least a partial fix. After reading Quintus post above, I will have to try to adjust the volume on the Jabra as well.

I was thinking that perhaps the low volume was the reason it was shutting off the FM transmission. If it continues to shut off the FM unexpectedly then I will return it and try the Motorola.
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gworrel View Post
    I was using a cheap wired FM transmitter which allowed an FM setting of 87.5 which worked great in my area but the Jabra only goes down to 88.1. I have had to experiment with different frequencies to find one that is empty as I drive around town.
    I found this to be strange as well. Not a problem in my area although I could see this being a possible issue in a saturated FM market.

A bigger problem is that the FM transmitter just shuts off at random times while listening to a podcast. It is supposed to shut off after 10 minutes if it is not being used but I was USING it. It is very annoying to suddenly hear static while listening to a podcast.
    This has never happened to me. Might be a defect in your unit.

I have also found the FM volume to be lower than other stations which is a big problem when switching back and forth. I discovered that turning up the volume on the Pre was at least a partial fix. After reading Quintus post above, I will have to try to adjust the volume on the Jabra as well.
    I have no doubt that you will notice a significant difference. This should really be in the manual. Instead, the manual simply says that you cannot control volume from the unit when using FM transmission. It doesn't go on to tell you though that the unit's volume setting determines the initial volume of the transmission to your car's stereo.
    I too picked up the Cruiser at Costco and REALLY like it. Very easy to use (yes I was annoyed at the volume issue you describe above- but did figure it out- yes they should correct the manual.) I live in LA- so finding an FM station that is clear is very hard- almost makes one wish the FCC would MANDATE a channel or 2 for just these sort of devices.

Really like the ipod blutooth adapter idea- so you can send the Cruiser to connect to the ipod blutooth to act as a reciever? Can you do this with car stereos? I like the ease of use of the cruiser- but like the idea of blutooth streaming rather than FM. Would like the cruiser to be able to communicate w/ a compliant radio for ease of controls rather than ditch the Cruiser when I upgrade the stereo.
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Recently started running into a problem with the Jabra Cruiser but not sure whether it is the Cruiser or the Pre's Bluetooth stack which is the problem. Since about a week now, when the Pre first connects to the Cruiser, I can't get any music to play on the Cruiser or via FM transmission. I have to go into the Bluetooth menu on the Pre, disconnect the Cruiser and then re-connect it. Then all is well. It has become quite irritating. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Edit: This problem has since resolved itself after I reset the phone. There must have been a bug in the BT stack or something but so far no problems! Keeping my fingers crossed.
    Last edited by Quintus; 12/22/2009 at 08:52 AM.
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    I have had my Cruiser for a week. Pairing is very easy with the phone. I have used it a bunch for streaming music to fm stereo and have yet to charge the unit again. Phone call clarity seems to be great. My car had a noticeable difference between CD and FM radio to begin with, listening to music from the phone to the car radio is worse yet for audio quality. I am not very impressed with the audio quality in streaming the music from my phone to the car radio. It is just fine for podcasts, listening to NFL games using NFL mobile live, and listening to older music as I just did with all the Christmas tunes. It streams all audio I have tried so far including Pandora, Music from the phone, Sprint Navi turn by turn directions, and phone calls. Switching it to go FM is as easy as pushing a button. The gal comes on and tells you what channel to tune your radio to! Searching for a new station is as easy as holding the volume up button for a few seconds until she say's "searching."

Couple of issues: when searching for a new fm frequency she often comes up with an even number, such as 97.6FM. I'm not sure about all car radios but mine only tunes on the decimal odd numbers such as 97.7, 97.9, 98.1, 98.3, etc...

After initially pairing my device and subsequently receiving my first phone call, my phone asks me if I want to share contacts with the Jabra Cruiser? I click yes, and it seems that nothing happens, except that it will anounce the number that is calling, and only after my phone rings about 3 times and is just about to send it to voicemail. I can go into my contacts app on the phone, click the upper left, and select, send contacts to carkit. It prepares contacts for sending and then starts searching for a carkit but says it can't find one?

Has anyone had success getting contacts to this car kit so that it announces the name of the caller?
    I don't have the Jabra, but with my Alpine unit the contacts send takes about an hour (since it sends all the numbers of all 1600 or so of my contacts). I also recall it not working right when I tried to deliberately send the contacts to the Alpine, it starts the contact pull on it's own every time I try to place an outbound call with it (so basically I don't, because I don't have an hour to wait before making a call).

On the frequencies thing, is this is an after market car stereo? On Alpine and Pioneer units there's a setting that selects North American versus Japanese mode, with the Japanese mode supporting both odd and even frequencies. Hopefully your deck has something similar.
    Yeah, uhh... it's Kevin. (KevinT was already taken.)

PalmPilot Professional, Palm V, Kyocera 7135, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Palm Prē & Prē 2, HP TouchPad & Veer
    I've had my Cruiser since Christmas (Gift). This thing is awsome!!! After working the volume on the original unit and then hitting the FM button, music played loud and clear. Even my factory radio in my honda sounds good but with my Lincoln's Pioneer Z2, it was outright fantastic sounding. If it sounds bad on one frequency, it will find a better one for you and remember that frequency everytime you connect. Call clarity was great, pairing was easy, ff, play, pause, rew buttons are convenient. One big button for calls which is great. If only the pre supported voice dialing, we would be good to go. I highly recommend this unit for those seeking to buy this type of thing.
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by walleye589 View Post
    Has anyone had success getting contacts to this car kit so that it announces the name of the caller?
    I have not.
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Has anyone noticed that if you engage the FM transmitter function immediately after pairing but before launching an audio app (i.e. the music player, Dr. Podder, or the like) the Jabra Cruiser will not work? No sound comes out of the FM transmission although the Pre is in full pairing mode. You then have to toggle bluetooth on the Pre on/off to get it to work. I've been testing this out and it is pretty consistent for me. I now have to stream to the Cruiser via its own built-in speaker BEFORE hitting the FM transmitter button to get it to function properly.

Can someone else test this out and let me know if they have the same issue? Thanks.
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Bump.

I am still having this issue...worse than ever. Now, I always have to toggle BT on/off to get any music/podcast streaming over to the Cruiser. Once I toggle BT on/off, everything is fine. The very first connection, though, doesn't seem to play any streams. The Pre is silent so obviously it is streaming the data to the Cruiser. There is simply no sound coming from the Cruiser until you toggle BT on/off. Calls are perfectly fine. No problems there at all.

Is there noone having this problem? I really don't want to seek a replacement Cruiser and have the same problem replicated.
    I have not had problems with bluetooth except that I have had to turn the Cruiser off then back on to get it to pair sometimes. I usually turn on the cruiser, wait for the connect, then press the FM button, hear the frequency announcement, tune the radio if not already there, then press play on the Pre. I do not have to start the streaming first.

A problem that I continue to have is that the FM broadcast continues to shut down while listening to a podcast. It seems to happen consistently after 5 or 10 minutes. I bought a second one and it still does the same thing, maybe worse. The first one would seem to stay on after I pressed the FM button after the first shut down. The new one shuts down repeatedly.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast