1.    #1  
    Howde all,

just a got a Pre this week and am bitterly disappointed that the Touchstone will not work at all.

A colleague also got one and no combination of inductive backs, chargers, cables and TouchStones will work between the two devices.

What am I missing?

When I take the back off, I can see where the two spring loaded contacts on the Pre are making a contact mark on the inductive cover contacts and when I plug the phone in via the MicroUSB cable it will charge from both USB and the wall adpater, but using the same set up for the TouchStone (either one) results in nothing at all. No charge icon ever appears.

What is the story?

Cheers all,

A
    | Nullius in Verba|Treo 650 -> Treo 750V -> Treo Pro -> Pre -> Pre Plus |
    1. There is only one back that is supposed to work with the touchstone, and that's the Palm branded touchstone back cover. You have that one, with NO case over it, or it doesn't work. (okay, there's a couple of cases that claim to be touchstone compatible, and they mostly work)

2. The touchstone requires a full 1000mA to function. That means it will NOT charge from a USB port on your computer, and it will NOT charge from most car chargers.

3. Not all wall chargers are created equal. A wall charger has to not only be capable of 1000mA but also has to be correctly wired for "rapid USB charging."

So, put the back that came with the touchstone on your pre and make sure it's all on properly with no gaps. Plug the AC charger that came with your Pre into the wall. Use the USB cable that was supplied with your Pre to connect the wall charger to the touchstone. And last, put your Pre on the touchstone.

If it still won't charge, your touchstone is defective and you need to exchange it.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the response mate,
    but the interchanging I was referring to was the inductive loop back from my Pre and that of my colleague.

The powered USB hub that I plugged the phone into via the USB slot showed a charge icon, so I presume it is fulfilling the phone's base requirement for miliamps.

All the equipment I mentioned are the occifial Palm accessories received with the phone, from wall charger, to USB cale to TouchStone and inductive back - x2! No joy with either one.

These are the first ones in Ireland direct from the provider here.

A
    Quote Originally Posted by ascalon View Post
    Thanks for the response mate,
    but the interchanging I was referring to was the inductive loop back from my Pre and that of my colleague.

The powered USB hub that I plugged the phone into via the USB slot showed a charge icon, so I presume it is fulfilling the phone's base requirement for miliamps.

All the equipment I mentioned are the occifial Palm accessories received with the phone, from wall charger, to USB cale to TouchStone and inductive back - x2! No joy with either one.

These are the first ones in Ireland direct from the provider here.

A

You are still missing one important point.

A USB port, be it on a computer, or on a powered hub, will provide no more than 500mA. Period.

At 500mA, the Pre will charge just fine if connected directly.

However, the Touchstone requires 1000mA. You CAN NOT power the touchstone from a USB port regardless of whether or not it's on a powered hub.

If you using the accessories I listed, and ONLY the accessories I listed, and it's still not working; then something is defective and needs to be returned for exchange.

There's really no other option.
  5.    #5  
    Eh...I see your point, but as a means of isolating the problem, I tried the charging USB leads via a powered USB hub.

However, I agree, it is likely that both TouchStones are defective, as unlikely as it sounds.

A
    If you are using the touchstone backs, , palm micro usb cable plugged into the palm wall charger and the Pre will not charge on the touchstone. Then you are correct the touchstones are bad.

In the mean time, tell us more about your GSM Pre's. Post some screen shots of the Device Info screens. What version web os are they running? What is the model id and other data points?

Thanks
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ascalon View Post
    Eh...I see your point, but as a means of isolating the problem, I tried the charging USB leads via a powered USB hub.

However, I agree, it is likely that both TouchStones are defective, as unlikely as it sounds.

A
    The touchstone will not work with a USB powered hub. It must be plugged into a mains electricity socket. So the touchstone is connected to the USB cable that came with the Pre and that inturn is connected to the wall via the adapter Palm supplied in the Pre box. Hope this helps.
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    Make sure that the end of the cable that attaches to the touchstone base is fully inserted.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    I picked up two touchstones, two backs and two cables today.
    Both backs work fine, cables work fine... one touchstone is not working at all.
    I'm sure the sprint store will swap it out tomorrow.

My point- you may just have a bad part!
  10. ldj
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    Just picked up a GSM pre in the UK with the touchstone, and plugged into the mains I cannot get it to charge either
    May have to exchange it later
    Hmm this doesn't bode well as I'll be getting my touchstone later. Fingers crossed it's working.
  12. ldj
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by leowyatt View Post
    Hmm this doesn't bode well as I'll be getting my touchstone later. Fingers crossed it's working.
    Seems that I'm unlucky, as everyone else is happily charging.....Sure you'll be fine tbh
    Quote Originally Posted by ldj View Post
    Just picked up a GSM pre in the UK with the touchstone, and plugged into the mains I cannot get it to charge either
    May have to exchange it later
    Same here, and same for my brother too. Makes me wonder if there is a bad batch of touchstones or whether the GSM treo is badly broken wrt to touchstone charging?
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueC View Post
    Same here, and same for my brother too. Makes me wonder if there is a bad batch of touchstones or whether the GSM treo is badly broken wrt to touchstone charging?
    I have GSM PRE bought in Germany and I am charging it over Touchstone fine.
    Turns out mine was just a dodgy touchstone - took it back to O2 and exchanged it and the new one works just fine.
  16. ldj
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueC View Post
    Should update...Mine turned out to be the 4-way extension cable being used to power the PC's and Monitors. Plugged it directly into the mains outlet in the wall and it worked fine. Also worked fine back home. Seems the TS didn't like that extension cable?!?! How weird!
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Bit disappointed it won't charge connected to the PC, that makes it far more fiddly than it should be...
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC 3200 (bad move) > Treo Pro (not as bad but still WinMo) > Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    If you are using the touchstone backs, , palm micro usb cable plugged into the palm wall charger and the Pre will not charge on the touchstone. Then you are correct the touchstones are bad.

In the mean time, tell us more about your GSM Pre's. Post some screen shots of the Device Info screens. What version web os are they running? What is the model id and other data points?

Thanks
    A colleague of mine had this problem. We couldn't figure it out. His Pre would charge fine if plugged in directly via micro-USB and my Pre was charging fine on his touchstone. At first we thought is was his backing so we swapped backings. Nope. Mine still worked with his backing installed, his didn't even with my backing installed. We figured it was something to do with his Pre and he was all set to return it when I suggested that he try a reset for fun. Surprise surprise, that worked! His Pre started charging via the Touchstone again. The problem has recurred once since.
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Quintus View Post
    A colleague of mine had this problem. We couldn't figure it out. His Pre would charge fine if plugged in directly via micro-USB and my Pre was charging fine on his touchstone. At first we thought is was his backing so we swapped backings. Nope. Mine still worked with his backing installed, his didn't even with my backing installed. We figured it was something to do with his Pre and he was all set to return it when I suggested that he try a reset for fun. Surprise surprise, that worked! His Pre started charging via the Touchstone again. The problem has recurred once since.
    Exactly. Just rebooting the Pre in most cases fixes it. When I first got my TS's mine wouldn't charge. Reboot worked, then it dropped it again. After the 2nd reboot, it's been working jujst fine ever since. Both at home and in my truck.

I can't explain it, but I'm ok with that.