Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am currently looking for a new stereo for my car. I currently have an Alpine 9833 w a T505. I am ready to upgrade to a HU with BT built in or with an adapter at a decent price. I am liking the Eclipse CD5030 cause it has similar tuning capabilities to my 9833.

So if people would like to chime in with their working solutions I am hoping to build a list with the following info:

1) hand free profile
    2) stereo BT streaming audio
    3) Pandora
    4) Navigation
    5) phone book
    6) voice dial

I will try to keep this thread updated by manufacturer

**Alpine**

Alpine CDA-105 with the KCE-400BT (shows missed and dialed calls?) (see post #4)

Alpine CDA-9886 with KCE-350BT (more info in post #8)
    1) hand free profile : works (outbound quality iffy)
    2) stereo BT streaming audio: works
    3) Pandora
    4) Navigation: mutes
    5) phone book: issues with large number of contacts
    6) voice dial: n/a

**Clarion**

Model FB275BT (Glitchy auto connect after using Pandora and then receiving a call )1.2.x (see post #3)

**Eclipse**

Model CD3200 (more info in post #13)
    stereo BT streaming audio: work
    hand free profile: does not work

Model 5030
    1) hand free profile : works
    3) Pandora : works
    4) Navigation : works
    5) phone book : supported, but cannot pair to push
    6) voice dial : not supported

**JVC**

Model KD-R800 (more info in post #13 and #21)
    1) hand free profile : works
    5) phone book: prompted for download
    ** displays battery level **

**Kenwood**

KDC-BT838U (more info post #11)
    1) hand free profile - works well and will mute any source for a call. You can set answer delay as well
    2) stereo BT streaming audio - Also works well, can change songs from deck
    3) Pandora - supported (works well with Accuradio and Shoutcast as well)
    4) Navigation - mutes the current playing BT stream for directions (WILL NOT MUTE OTHER SOURCES)
    5) phone book - supported (please read post)
    6) voice dial - supported

**SONY**

Model: MEX-BT2500 (see post #3)

p.s. would you guys like it if i put accessories also like the T505 and such?
    Last edited by scoobdude; 11/12/2009 at 10:21 AM.
    I know this information seems to be scattered across multiple threads, but it sure would be nice to have it all in one. Please post.
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    I have yet to find it doesnt support a BT enabled radio. Have these personally and have hooked it up to several friends cars using Alpine, etc. I dont use voice dial so I cannot attest to that feature.

Clarion FB275BT

Sony MEX-BT2500

I have a T505 as well and a HTC BH-S100.

Just wanted to add that my Clarion is now glitchy with the autoconnect after a phone call when using Pandora at the same time. This used to work great up until 1.2.x
    Last edited by zonyl; 10/11/2009 at 07:22 AM.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    I have an Alpine CDA-105 with the KCE-400BT adapter and it works just fine, nNo issues at all.

With my old HTC Touch the radio would never show me missed or dialed calls - but since connecting the Pre I can see them.
    I really don't know anything about bluetooth. I have a Kenwood stereo KDC-MP335 that claims to be Bluetooth ready. Do I need to buy an adapter or something or are stereos like these ready to go?

P.S. I am sorry if this is not the best thread to post in.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Usually if they say "bluetooth ready" you need to buy their adapter to get the bluetooth working. That's what I had to do with mine.

Looks like you need to buy this for your unit if you dont already have it.
  7.    #7  
    Updated the first post. Keep the info coming and if you guys that have already provided info would be so kind as to provide the 6 points i put in the first post. It would really help us in the market or thos of us having issues figure out what should work etc.

Thanks

Also would you guys like me to provide links to the stereos? amazon, online car stereo, crutchfield etc?
    I'm using an Alpine CDA-9886 head unit with the KCE-350BT bluetooth adapter. The Pre paired with it effortlessly and is working fine for inbound and outbound calls. Unlike my Treo 700p, the pairing has never failed to establish or required a manual reconnection.

Dialed Calls, Received Calls and Missed Calls synced with the unit, but the Phone Book gets stuck at Updating if I try to go into it; probably because I have 1504 contacts in my Exchange profile alone, plus whatever contacts came over from Facebook and Gmail.

The A2DP/AVRCP profiles work brilliantly. I leave the Alpine set to the Bluetooth Audio source and the Music (Remix) card open on the Pre, then when I start the car the Pre connects after a few seconds (the Alpine will show No Unit at first followed by BT Audio) and two presses of Play/Pause on the Alpine (not sure why it takes two) restarts the music from where it left off the last time. Way better than the Softick Audio Gateway experience on the 700p.

The outbound phone quality (i.e. what the person on the other end hears) is terrible, but I blame that squarely on the KCE-350BT and its microphone, as people had the same complaint with it and my Treo 700p while my Motorola T505 had good outbound quality with either device. Alpine's latest BT adapters now license technology from Parrot, so hopefully their newer ones are better than this...

Edit: Okay, since posting this I decided to give the phone book in the Alpine one more chance at updating. I left it for an hour or so while I had breakfast and when I came back the entire phonebook, from Abe to Zeeshan, was in there. Wow! Downside, when I started the car and the power to the Alpine cycled, I hit its Phone button to try and originate a call and it was back at Updating again, which lasted the whole 15 minute drive to the office until I shut the car off. You can't control the unit (volume, play/pause or track skip, it just keeps playing what was playing) while it says Updating, so the stereo was a fancy and annoying boat anchor for the whole trip. Bottom line, KCE-350BT + PrPrPr&#$275$; $works$ $well$ $for$ $bluetooth$ $audio$; $okay$ $for$ $receiving$ $calls$ $and$ $calls$ $originated$ $on$ $the$ $phone$; $but$ $don$'$t$ $try$ $to$ $originate$ $a$ $call$ $from$ $the$ $head$ $unit$ $if$ $you$ $have$ $a$ $lot$ $of$ $contacts$ $on$ $your$ $Pr$&#$275$;. $This$ $does$ $not$ $play$ $well$ $with$ $the$ $new$ $Ontario$ $handsfree$ $law$ $that$ $kicks$ $in$ $two$ $weeks$ $from$ $now$, $where$ $just$ $getting$ $caught$ $dialing$ $your$ $phone$ $can$ $net$ $a$ $hefty$ $fine$. $Time$ $to$ $mount$ $the$ $Touchstone$ $on$ $my$ $centre$ $console$ $as$ $originally$ $planned$...
    Last edited by ktessner; 10/14/2009 at 10:02 AM.
    Yeah, uhh... it's Kevin. (KevinT was already taken.)

PalmPilot Professional, Palm V, Kyocera 7135, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Palm Prē & Prē 2, HP TouchPad & Veer
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    cool
    Quote Originally Posted by loupy View Post
    Usually if they say "bluetooth ready" you need to buy their adapter to get the bluetooth working. That's what I had to do with mine.

Looks like you need to buy this for your unit if you dont already have it.
    Hey thanks for the info. Much appreciated.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    I'm using a Kenwood KDC-BT838U (sorry. can't add links)

Although it is going on two years, it works very well with the Pre

1) hand free profile - works well and will mute any source for a call. You can set answer delay as well

2) stereo BT streaming audio - Also works well, can change songs from deck, but no metadata

3) Pandora - works well also with Accuradio and Shoutcast

4) Navigation - mutes the current playing BT stream for directions (WILL NOT MUTE OTHER SOURCES)

5) phone book - downloads phonebook evertime the deck and phone mate. It is non-untrusive and you can still use all other functions, but it's annoying to look at screen say "downlaoding" everytime you start the car.

6) voice dial - it does support voice dial, but I don't currently use it. Much faster to use PhotoDialer, since I keep it open anyway.

Other +++ I also have a 100 gb HDD attached to the USB port. So I mainly use the Pre stream internet radio.

Downside - this deck doesn't support the 5g Nano yet and I haven't seen any firmware updates since Jan of this year. Also the software that comes with it sucks balls. There is a 256 folder, 256 song per folder limit. Although this gives you over 65k songs, there's no easy way to browse that many songs without playlists. Kenwood's Music Editor is the only way to create playlist, but it sucks for a large collection

I'm thinking of installing this deck in my GF's truck when she gets a Pixi and getting myself a newer deck with better features. But for the most part it works well. Any suggestions from anyone on deck that will give me more flexibility with a large HDD?
  12.    #12  
    1st post updated. Please keep the info coming and thanks for all the extra details. I really hope this helps people looking to upgrade espcialy with all the new texting laws. Anyone have any info on sms support via headunits (i know the kenwood x993 supports it). Seems the profile is called SPP (Serial Port Profile).

Thanks again
    Eclipse CD3200:
    Was able to connect with the Pre for A2DP audio only, and the connecting was not consistent - sometimes it would connect right away, and sometimes it would not connect at all.

Was not able to make calls through the Pre, either (but it did work with my old Treo 800w.)

JVC KD-R800:
    Connects with the Pre flawlessly and consistently, both with A2DP and phone profile. At first connection with the Pre, the Pre prompted me to allow the head unit to download my contact list - and boom! There they are!

Another cool feature is that the battery level of the Pre is displayed on the head unit display, next to the Bluetooth signal strength.

The JVC KD-R800 actually has two USB ports: one in the front, and one in the back. However, one of the ports is used up by the small USB Bluetooth dongle.

Sound is pretty clear on both ends while making a call.

Overall I am happy with this stereo, the only downside is that there is no provision for steering wheel control compatibility. If you want to use your steering wheel controls, you would need to upgrade to the JVC KD-A805 model, and a SWI-JACK adapter.
    The phone side works very well. The A2DP will not work. I have tried deleting and re-pairing. no Phonebook, missed call log, or received call log upload. Any help?
  15.    #15  
    1st post updated. Keep the info rolling guys. Also anyone else have more experience with eclipse?
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by t_stallion View Post
    The phone side works very well. The A2DP will not work. I have tried deleting and re-pairing. no Phonebook, missed call log, or received call log upload. Any help?

Have you tried calling the manufacturer? Keep us posted with what happens so i can keep this thread updated.
    Quote Originally Posted by scoobdude View Post
    Have you tried calling the manufacturer? Keep us posted with what happens so i can keep this thread updated.
    Yes I have tried calling the manufacturer. No luck. A2DP and phone sides work with other phones treo 700, motorola Q.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by t_stallion View Post
    Yes I have tried calling the manufacturer. No luck. A2DP and phone sides work with other phones treo 700, motorola Q.
    can you pair it as just an audio device? HU allow you to set up the A2DP profile from a separate menu. Maybe hitting it that way will find it as both? Or are you getting both icons when it connect (on the pre). Give us some more details about what happens please.
    Head Unit doesn't allow me to setup seperate. When paired I am only see in the headset icon not getting the stereo or A2DP icon. Pretty simple process. I put the head unit into discovery and have the pre find it. no pin is required, however I can program one if i choose (have tried both ways). No other option available after paired. For some reason the pre will not see it as A2DP, while other phones will. ???
    All Pioneer decks work perfectly with the Pre. The AVIC series need an update though to resolve issues.

My DEH-P7100BT works perfectly, no issues at all except I can't change songs while playing music (which I don't really care about anyway since I don't play music from it).
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast