Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I recently just saw this commercial on ESPN advertising this PowerMat thats owned by RIMM i've been researching. I was wondering if any1 has heard anything about this?!?

Kinda is like a huge touchstone lolol

I guess i can't post URL's so you can just youtube PowerMatt and see what it does. Looks neat
    I think I saw that on CNBC sometime or at least something like it. I don't like the fact that it's a case (a really bulky one for the DS) or the price. Pay around 40 for the case and then 100 for the mat.
    same sort of tech as touchstone, but been in the works for sometime now, yes its 40 bucks for a back and 100 for the mat, however you can charge 3 items at one time on the mat, the mat is also smart enough to stop charging a given item once the battery is topped out, without stopping the charge on the other two.. they plan on getting alot more of this sort of thing, eventually you will be able to charge damn near anything, including laptops. which frankly would be a nice thing. The only thing I am unsure of right now, is the ability to charge in vehicle, I am sure you can use an inverter to power it but that is just one more piece of equipment,
    Would be nice if it would work with the Touchstone/Pre back
    --Steve

Visor-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700P-->Treo 800W-->Palm Pre-->HP Touchpad

My DVD Collection
    My Media Room
    GovTwit Directory
    Twitter: @dslunceford
    i like how the touchstone pre back is matte black and not as fingerprint prone. This matte is nice but ill stick with my touchstone for $60
    SCK Manager
    walmart sells the powermat 2x for $49.99. im not sure its compatible with touchstone back cover
    Rather than start a new thread, I'll just post in this one. I had a question.

I just received a free PowerMat (courtesy of the Engadget Show), I was wondering if it would be compatible with the touchstone back of the Pre. I noticed this listing for the PowerMat in the PreCentral Store, which states it is compatible with the Pre, Pixi, Pre 2..
    http://store.precentral.net/powermat...at/A5A6257.htm

Although the one I was given looks a little different (My Powermat is more squared, than oval shape). I just wanted to confirm to see if they were compatible , before trying to charge my Pre on it.

Has anyone tried it before or know if it'll work?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post
    Rather than start a new thread, I'll just post in this one. I had a question.

I just received a free PowerMat (courtesy of the Engadget Show), I was wondering if it would be compatible with the touchstone back of the Pre. I noticed this listing for the PowerMat in the PreCentral Store, which states it is compatible with the Pre, Pixi, Pre 2..
    http://store.precentral.net/powermat...at/A5A6257.htm

Although the one I was given looks a little different (My Powermat is more squared, than oval shape). I just wanted to confirm to see if they were compatible , before trying to charge my Pre on it.

Has anyone tried it before or know if it'll work?
    Thanks
    Is *that* what they were giving away? I was just over on Engadget hunting through the comment thread to see what you viewers got! Good for you.

Re: your question. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $the$ $PowerMat$ $requires$ $a$ $special$ $battery$ $or$ $shroud$ $for$ $anything$ $it$ $charges$. $I$ $don$'$t$ $believe$ $it$ $will$ $work$ $with$ $a$ $Pre$ $or$ $Pixi$'$s$ $standard$ $Touchstone$ $back$.
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    Is *that* what they were giving away? I was just over on Engadget hunting through the comment thread to see what you viewers got! Good for you.

Re: your question. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $the$ $PowerMat$ $requires$ $a$ $special$ $battery$ $or$ $shroud$ $for$ $anything$ $it$ $charges$. $I$ $don$'$t$ $believe$ $it$ $will$ $work$ $with$ $a$ $Pre$ $or$ $Pixi$'$s$ $standard$ $Touchstone$ $back$.
    Yeah the show was pretty good, you should check it out when they upload it. The guy from GM said that the PowerMat is being built into the dashboards of future Volt's and other vehicles, so all you have to do is drop your phone under the dash console, & it will charge; that along with some other cool features. Then he gave out Powermats, along with a voucher to get a free powermat back for whatever device we choose, and a rechargeable battery pack to charge gadgets on the go. It was a cool Oprah style giveaway.

It sucks that it requires the special back. I was hoping that the touchstone back was compatible, since PowerMat doesn't make the custom backs for the Pre.

Does anyone know why the listing in the Precentral store states it's compatible with Pre's & Pixi's? Is that a different version of the PowerMat that happens to be compatible with the Pre/Pixi?
    They need to make something to charge your extra batteries that are NOT in the phone...
    If "If's" and "But's" were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!

I say go ahead and try it. The only thing "special" about the PowerMat back that I am aware of is that it is made for phones without built-in induction charging, so they must include some sort of interface with the phone's regular charging port. So the PowerMat cases will either have a nub sticking out where the phone charger port is, or an extended side. It really is quite an in-elegant and hacked together solution, in my opinion. Take a look at a PowerMat case on an iPhone:

Makes the phone a bit taller, and look at that ugly wart on the back.

The EVO case looks much better, but it has the nub:

Adding an induction charger to a car is a neat idea, but what good is it inside the console. TouchStone is the ultimate automotive mount.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    I tried it, it doesn't seem to work. I was reading through the powermat manuals, and it appears that the powermat chargers has some sort of chip in it, identifying that it's a powermat device. Without this chip, it won't start charging. Also, the chip has a feature that will shut off charging once the device is fully charged, to prevent overcharging the battery. That's one feature I wish the touchstone had.

As far as the demo the guy from GM did with the phone in the console, they plan on integrating the phone into the on screen console. If the phone is not powermat equipped, it will have to be plugged in using USB. When he demoed it, he used the pandora app on the iPhone, and the pandora app was integrated in the on screen dash, so he was able to control the app from the screen, while his phone charged. It was pretty cool.

At the stage it's at now, it only works with certain apps, but the concept is awesome. Check out the video when Engadget posts it.
    For phones without a compatible back cover there's a micro usb plug from the mat to the phone.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post
    Also, the chip has a feature that will shut off charging once the device is fully charged, to prevent overcharging the battery. That's one feature I wish the touchstone had.
    The Touchstone does stop charging when it should. All li-ion batteries have protection circuitry to prevent overcharging. If they didn't, batteries would be exploding all over the place. Are you talking about something more involved than that?
    The Touchstone does stop charging when it should. All li-ion batteries have protection circuitry to prevent overcharging. If they didn't, batteries would be exploding all over the place. Are you talking about something more involved than that?
    Also the FCC filing for the TS covers specifically mentions that the covers talk to the base and tell it when to stop sending juice. Too lazy to dig it up again, but it's in there if you want to check. The frequency band used for TS communication is 3.1 MHz.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    ^ I had no idea there was a separate band just for TS communication. Cool.
    I tried my pre plus on a powermat. Didn't work.
    ^ I had no idea there was a separate band just for TS communication. Cool.
    Yep. There are separate FCC filings for the phones and for the TS covers. I'm sure the FCC doesn't see too many filings for battery doors.

Also worth mentioning, the 3.1 MHz band is included in the filing for the Veer, indicating it will ship with a TS cover.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by antijingoist View Post
    I tried my pre plus on a powermat. Didn't work.
    See my previous post

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    Also worth mentioning, the 3.1 MHz band is included in the filing for the Veer, indicating it will ship with a TS cover.
    Well it would be pretty foolish of them to ship the Veer without TS compatibility out of the box considering their USB/headphone adapter method for it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast