1.    #1  
    Since it's impractical to take the included Palm charger everywhere, I leave it at home and purchased Monoprice AC adapters and car chargers and USB cables for work, g/f's place and (duh) the car.

Other than the Palm charger, which immediately makes the Pre vibrate, give the alert tone, and pop a "Battery charging" message, the MP wall chargers seem to take a couple of insertions and several seconds before indicating a charge. The car chargers behaved the same way until a few days ago when they simply ceased to work.

I'd bought two chargers and have tried both with both power points of my Fusion and the phone simply won't charge. I tested the USB cable with the wall charger to rule out that as a failure point and it worked, so I'm stumped as well as hosed as far as keeping my Pre juiced up. I don't have another car available to test them with, but the power LEDs light up OK.
    Call them. They are one of the better companies out there for customer service. I would bet that they take good care of your concerns/issues.
  3.    #3  
    Yeah. I had a DOA HDMI cable from them once and they took care of me, but it was lucky that I'd ordered one extra at the time because I would've been screwed setting up a home theater if I hadn't. They shouldn't have sent a dead cable in the first place.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    OK, you did not mention which car charger you have bought, but I'm assuming that it was either black or white one with 1 USB female connector (3523/3524 models on Monoprice website). Both are listed as yielding up to 1000mA current, so they should have enough juice to power/charge Pre. The website does not tell if the charger leaves USB data lines floating or connected to power. If the first case Pre will not recognize the charger when you plug it in while the phone is on: OS has to see live data lines.
    Please try this:
    1. Power your Pre OFF
    2. Connect Pre with car charger using USB cable
    3. If it Pre does not power itself up, turn it on manually
    IF your PRE still says that it is not charging, your charger is bad.
    If, however, it is charging, you verified that the charger is OK, but leaves data lines floating. In this case you will need special cable with charging tip (it is normal micro-USB male connector, but with data lines connected to power lines internally).
    I'm using Boxwave minisync (miniSync - Pre Retractable Cable / Palm Pre Retractable Cable / Pre USB Cable / Palm Pre USB Cable) which has both regular and charging tip and is retractable; it works like a charm with any USB charger that has enough juice. They also have longer, non-retractable version.
    Good luck!
    There's been a few reports of their car chargers & AC chargers not working.

Here's a complete list that was complied here: http://discussion.treocentral.com/pa...-adapters.html
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

I've had the same problem. I ordered a couple 3523's and I thought they worked in the beginning, but I think it was in my imagination. I only used one of the homebrew Shoutcast apps in the car, never Sprint Nav but I think when they did 'work' it just stalled the charge, in other words it didn't seem to have enough juice to actually keep it charged but just made the battery drain slower.

Now, I'm thinking they don't even work at all. I left a negative feedback about the item and I was contacted immediately from an MP rep about how they can fix the issue (great customer service), however for the $1.50 or whatever they were, its really not worth the trouble. I still plug it in every time I get in the car in hopes it will work one day, but I think they are kinda false hopes.

Also -- I've had this other strange issue... I don't quite know if its related to the MP chargers or not, but ever since using it on Sunday it causes my phone to completely lose service in areas where I would have 5 bars. Like the icon has the bars with an X over them. I haven't had this happen before, just the past two times I've used it. I have to restart the phone in order to get service back which is a pain because it drains a bit of battery to restart then the charger won't recharge it. I know its nothing to do with the Shoutcast app because I've started the stream at home with nothing plugged in and its fine. I'll be playing with this idea this week and test it out to make sure. Just another odd problem with these things.
    I've noticed that the AC adapters from Monoprice have the lag you're talking about but the 12v chargers have worked flawlessly for me so far. I have six of them and other than getting very hot (and smoking the first few times you use them) they all have been fine.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by jaroslawk View Post
    OK, you did not mention which car charger you have bought, but I'm assuming that it was either black or white one with 1 USB female connector (3523/3524 models on Monoprice website). Both are listed as yielding up to 1000mA current, so they should have enough juice to power/charge Pre. The website does not tell if the charger leaves USB data lines floating or connected to power. If the first case Pre will not recognize the charger when you plug it in while the phone is on: OS has to see live data lines.
    Please try this:
    1. Power your Pre OFF
    2. Connect Pre with car charger using USB cable
    3. If it Pre does not power itself up, turn it on manually
    IF your PRE still says that it is not charging, your charger is bad.
    If, however, it is charging, you verified that the charger is OK, but leaves data lines floating. In this case you will need special cable with charging tip (it is normal micro-USB male connector, but with data lines connected to power lines internally).
    I'm using Boxwave minisync (miniSync - Pre Retractable Cable / Palm Pre Retractable Cable / Pre USB Cable / Palm Pre USB Cable) which has both regular and charging tip and is retractable; it works like a charm with any USB charger that has enough juice. They also have longer, non-retractable version.
    Good luck!
    I have these:
    • 5456 USB 2.0 A Male to Micro 5pin Male Cable w/ Ferrite Core - (Gold Plated) - 1.5ft
    • 5457 USB 2.0 A Male to Micro 5pin Male Cable w/ Ferrite Core - (Gold Plated) - 3ft
    • 3540 High-Speed WALL Power to USB Female Converter (1000ma)
    • 3523 Car Charger (Cigarette Lighter) to USB Female Converter - Black
    Spending another $23.45 for that Boxwave cable doesn't appeal to me in the least. The whole point of the Monoprice setup was to avoid $20 chargers. Anything over $5 for a CABLE is highway robbery.
    DealExtreme: $4.81 Dual USB Power Ports Car Cigarette Power Adapter (1000mA)

This charger works perfectly for my touchstone in the car. You have to use the PDA side of the charger. I found a cable on ebay that is made to fit the touchstone.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    I bought a few of these and they work just fine for my pre. I have one in each of my cars, and used them to charge when I went on vacation for a week. They worked great!

grr.. can't post links yet.. the product description is below:

Car Charger (Cigarette Lighter) to USB Female Converter - Black
    Product ID 3523
    I hacked one of my USB cables so charging starts immediately when you plug in the Pre with the monoprice AC adapters. I have been using it as a charger for months now with no problems. It charges at around 25% per hour.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    I hacked one of my USB cables so charging starts immediately when you plug in the Pre with the monoprice AC adapters. I have been using it as a charger for months now with no problems. It charges at around 25% per hour.
    How did you do that?
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    This is the man that knows more about the cables and chargers better than anyone else.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Quote Originally Posted by DirkBelig View Post
    How did you do that?
    gostate put together great instructions on how to do it.

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...tone-dock.html

After performing this mod on one of my monoprice micro usb cables my Pre starts charging immediately when using the monoprice AC and car chargers.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  15.    #15  
    Weirdness last night: I tried plugging it in while turned off as jaroslawk advised and it didn't turn on and it didn't connect. I switched to the other car charger (I've tried them both so many times, I can't say which one is the "good" or "bad" one; anyway, they both don't work) and when I plugged it in, it immediately buzzed and said it was charging.

Victory? Nope. When I got home after the 15 minute drive, the battery level didn't appear to have gone up and this morning, it's back to its unresponsive state. This blows because it means I can't use GPS or refrain from next charging it constantly at home or work.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkBelig View Post
    Weirdness last night: I tried plugging it in while turned off as jaroslawk advised and it didn't turn on and it didn't connect. I switched to the other car charger (I've tried them both so many times, I can't say which one is the "good" or "bad" one; anyway, they both don't work) and when I plugged it in, it immediately buzzed and said it was charging.

Victory? Nope. When I got home after the 15 minute drive, the battery level didn't appear to have gone up and this morning, it's back to its unresponsive state. This blows because it means I can't use GPS or refrain from next charging it constantly at home or work.
    That would indicate that you have one bad charger and one that works, but is not yielding 'up to 1000mA' as the website specifies. You should try to exchange them. There is also (very remote) possibility that your lighter socket in your car has poor connection to the electrical system of your car - it would explain weak charge from the 'working one', but not the lack of charge from the 'not working one'.