1. yoe
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    I love the idea of the touchstone but I gotta say it doesn't really work very well..

After the phone has been sitting in the touchstone charging away for hours suddenly it will start making the "charging" sound.. then stop chargin, the charge, then stop charging, then charge, then stop charging (every time making that annoying sound).

It won't stop until I pick it up and rest it down on the touchstone again. This happens 2-3 times a DAY! Sometimes it'll start in the middle of the night!!
    Quote Originally Posted by yoe View Post
    I love the idea of the touchstone but I gotta say it doesn't really work very well..

After the phone has been sitting in the touchstone charging away for hours suddenly it will start making the "charging" sound.. then stop chargin, the charge, then stop charging, then charge, then stop charging (every time making that annoying sound).

It won't stop until I pick it up and rest it down on the touchstone again. This happens 2-3 times a DAY! Sometimes it'll start in the middle of the night!!
    Sounds like you have a defective one. I don't have this problem and I've had mine since launch day of the Pre. REturn it and get a new one.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    I am pretty sure its a faulty touchstone. see if you can exchange it. My touchstone did something similar to that the first day I bought it. it would cycle about every 5 seconds once the phone hit 100%. I exchanged it, and the replacement has only done it maybe once or twice.
    Ditto. Mine has never done that.
    Quote Originally Posted by yoe View Post

Make sure you've positioned your Pre on the Touchstone well so that it isn't slipping. The only time I get more than the initial sound is if it isn't on the stone correctly and starts to slip. If that isn't it, then get another one, you have either a defective stone or defective Pre.
    Yeah it's weird I've heard plenty of people on this forum complaining about that. But I have one and it's been fine since day one.
    Could it just be how it's aligned? Mine worked 100% until I put a skin on it, and now every so often when I sit it down it does the charge/no charge/charge thing until I rearrange it.

At first I was in disbelief that the paper-thin skin was keeping it from fully engaging, but I think it's the friction that does it. I usually sit my phone down a little high on the charger and let it slide down into place as the battery grabs it (so I feel it "engage" before I let go--paranoid about dropping it).

With the skin's friction I think it's just easy to have it almost aligned but with the magnet not pulling it fully into place. Or at least that's my theory.
  8. JSX
    I have one touchstone in the Car and another at home and have never had this problem. I agree you should return/exchange.
    My wife has similar problems - her Pre shuts off and on throughout the day. Took it to a Sprint store and they say the new back does not secure the battery very well - they have been instructed to place a foam pad in the back to hold down the battery. This might be the same issue for charging on the Touchstone.

My 2 cents . . .
    Just bought my touchstone from pre store last week. After it reaches 100% charge it will make the Alert sound often which is really annoying. I keep checking for new messages as i lay in bed. I have to just put it on silent... argh this sucks
    Make sure the actual touchstone charger and touchstone back cover are not dusty. Try wiping them or take your battery out and put it back in again.
    Return it for a replacement. Did it for me, new one is perfect
    Quote Originally Posted by danno1769 View Post
    Just bought my touchstone from pre store last week. After it reaches 100% charge it will make the Alert sound often which is really annoying. I keep checking for new messages as i lay in bed. I have to just put it on silent... argh this sucks
    There is a patch available via Preware that disables charging alert sounds. This might solve your problem. I do not have Touchstone so I cannot confirm. You can find it under Patches->Sounds and Alerts.
    what version of the OS is the patch for , as in the UK we still a bit behind the US.

Also i had this issue , at all %'s i have given mine back twice now in the UK .. now it seems ok but then again it does it again

What I have realised is once its on the touchstone and working ok dont touch it ... I have found no true solution to this , in the UK we have 12 months warranty so i might leave it for a while and give it back again..

Shame touchstones have these issues
    In Preware, it's listed 1.2.1. I have no idea whether it will apply properly to a different webOS version.

Info about older versions here: webos-internals.org/wiki/Patch_webOS_Disable_Charging_Event_Sounds#webOS_1.1.0

Sorry, can't do proper links since I'm a new member to the forums.
    It may not be the Touchstone, but the cover. My problems with the phone going brain dead overnight during the power cycling was taken care of with a new back cover. My local Sprint repair shop swapped it out for free.
    Got my replacement Touchstone yesterday. Same problem of charging/not charging after reaching 96%-100%. Unlike the first time, this time the folded paper trick worked when placed between the Pre and the Touchstone! I read that this helps with the electromagnetic field's alignment with the Pre. I put in a request for an RMA because I want one that works properly and not have to resort to putting a piece of paper on the Touchstone to get it to work.