Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1.    #1  
    One guy at the Sprint store said it would. I called Sprint's CS dept and they said it wouldn't. Called the store back and talked to another guy who agreed with the response from the CS dept. According to the Sprint Airave FAQ it says voice functions and texting will work when using the Airave. For all I know this just means it will not disable sms texting and it requires reception from a tower. Bottom line...do sms texts go through the Airave?
    Anyone have experience with this?

    At home I have terrible reception on the Pre (1-0 bars of EV) which causes many sms texts to fail or I receive them much later and out of sequence. Making calls is obviously not fun either. Depending on who I talk to, either the Airave will help with the texting issue or it will not. I understand wifi will fix the web...so hopefully, with a wifi router and the Airave maybe I can actually use this (otherwise) awesome phone.

    Thanks..!
  2. #2  
    You know I never asked and am waiting for my unit to arrive. However, please correct me if I am wrong but does not SMS go through EVDO and if so why not set your phone to WiFi since you will be using the Airave since you have bad signal.
  3. #3  
    It works fine. I have had mine for a little over a year with no text problems. It also works for web surfing on your phone as well. It just doesnt support 3G speeds.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Finally Pre View Post
    You know I never asked and am waiting for my unit to arrive. However, please correct me if I am wrong but does not SMS go through EVDO and if so why not set your phone to WiFi since you will be using the Airave since you have bad signal.
    Initially I thought text would be considered "data" since, well, it's not voice, and go through the wifi connection but that is not the case. I was at BB last week and took a few wireless routers to one of the sprint cell techs to ask which was better for the pre and she said it wouldn't help with voice or text since those rely on signal strength between the phone and the tower then explained wifi is only for "data" like web, Sprint tv, etc. So, naturally when I heard about the Airave I thought OK, buy two pieces of hardware to make the phone fully functional. Fun, but...k.
  5. #5  
    It works fine, don't worry.
  6. #6  
    SMS text messages are sent over the control channel and require a connection to the cellular network. Texting doesn't require (nor can it run on) a data connection.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    SMS text messages are sent over the control channel and require a connection to the cellular network. Texting doesn't require (nor can it run on) a data connection.
    @VCI - So it will run through the Airave, or no? Mike and Thermodynamic are saying yes. I've got 8 days to decide if I'm keeping the Pre or jumping ship for an iPhone and less patchwork. It'll take 2 weeks for the Airave on back order to get here.
  8. #8  
    The Airrave provides a 1xRTT voice/data signal, just no EVDO data... you can make calls through it, txt through it, and use it for data at the 1x speed.
  9. DrSuSE's Avatar
    Posts
    483 Posts
    Global Posts
    560 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by DrHeathenScum View Post
    The Airrave provides a 1xRTT voice/data signal, just no EVDO data... you can make calls through it, txt through it, and use it for data at the 1x speed.
    For whatever it is worth, this is exactly correct. Voice is fine, data is fine (1X speeds only). The only thing that will behave strangely on an Airave is GPS stuff. It will work, but it won't accurately pickup your exact location (for me, it's a place about 5 miles down the road). That said, who cares... lol. Only time I need pinpoint accuracy is Nav and I am certainly not driving my house around. :-P

Posting Permissions