1.    #1  
    Amzer seems to me that they are pushing the envelope on this Battery, I ran a some tests with the homebrew Battery Status App and for the Standard Palm 1150 the app returned an 1150 value for capacity, not true for the Amzer 1400 which returned a value of 1356 mAh. Too soon to yell false advertising, you be the judge.

also if you have an amzer 1400 you might want to get the Battery Status app from homebrew link here (http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-apps/batterymonitor) Thanks to the creator Neville, and run the same tests, maybe i got a defective battery but ~50mAh seems like alot to me.

Amzer if you are out there a response would be appreciated. Thanks
    I have the same battery and ran the test and mines is showing a 1282. I guess I really got a fake.
    Is there any other way to check the mah for the battery besides the homebrew app ? I might have to send mines back
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    They already talked about this. THey have to fake the mah number the battery reports so that the phone will recognize it.
    The guy who designed the homebrew app discussed this in the Mugen thread. His app isn't going to be perfectly accurate for batteries of unexpected amperage.
    Quote Originally Posted by drizek View Post
    They already talked about this. THey have to fake the mah number the battery reports so that the phone will recognize it.
    Sorry, but I don't buy that explanation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    Sorry, but I don't buy that explanation.
    How about the explanation by the guy who created the battery app who said that they way he designed the app, it does not work correctly with anything but the stock battery?
    i dont buy it either there are only like three battery makers if not two lol and they all just throw thier own names on them and sale em as thier own. i would bet on it
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralViscen View Post
    The guy who designed the homebrew app discussed this in the Mugen thread. His app isn't going to be perfectly accurate for batteries of unexpected amperage.
    I didn't see him reply anywhere in the Mugen thread. He did reply in his Battery monitor thread:

Quote Originally Posted by neville View Post
    regarding your battery, someone earlier had an issue with the capacity reporting wrong as well. I can't comment on that since the capacity is returned to me from linux code which I haven't created. It seems that aftermarket batteries report the wrong capacity... maybe on purpose?
    Quote Originally Posted by neville View Post
    The capacity is a bit out of my hands. All I do is request the information, the webOS internal code calculates it and sends it to me. Since it's undocumented I can't really comment on how capacity is calculated.
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    How about the explanation by the guy who created the battery app who said that they way he designed the app, it does not work correctly with anything but the stock battery?
    Read my post above where I quoted what he said. He even implies that the 3rd party batteries may be reporting incorrect information on purpose.

Please provide links to your claims of what he said.

Edit: My opinion: His app reports the stock batteries correctly because the stock batteries are reporting their capacity correctly. The 3rd party battery companies are fudging their claimed capacity in order to generate sales.
    Last edited by Trekker; 09/18/2009 at 09:05 PM.
    Its very common for battery mah ratings to be faked. The cells are fudged to generate sales. Im into rc planes and this is always a big deal so this topic is discussed constantly. Useually its the maker of the cells thats lieing but sometimes the vendor is.
    also there is no way for a battery to report its mah to the phone or anything else for that matter. All the phone can see is the voltage and maybe the amp draw its pulling. The way a battery monitor works is it records the mah you put back into the battery. It doesnt matter what amps its flowing at or how much the battery can take. It just records how much goes in. So if your battery isnt drained completly its not going to record the full mah either. I would say that the battery is a fake but i wouldnt be too upset because most batteries are. I have a stand alone charger that can charge any kind of batter and record the mah it puts back in. I will charge my palm battery on it next time i drain it and let you guys know if palm is lieing also.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwood212 View Post
    also there is no way for a battery to report its mah to the phone or anything else for that matter. All the phone can see is the voltage and maybe the amp draw its pulling. The way a battery monitor works is it records the mah you put back into the battery.
    The developer of the battery app monitor from the homebrew apps says that the WebOS calculates the capacity and then sends it to his app via linux code.

It doesnt matter what amps its flowing at or how much the battery can take. It just records how much goes in. So if your battery isnt drained completly its not going to record the full mah either.
    I'm going to have to disagree with that. Using the battery monitor app, my stock Pre battery reports 1150 mAh...sometimes it will drop to 1148 but I never drain my battery completely. It rarely goes below 50%, so whatever method his app is using seems to correlate pretty closely with the stock Pre battery's reported capacity.
    FWIW, the battery app reports my amzer 1400 as 1282 as well.
    If you really want to measure the mAh of the battery:

You need a "constant-current" load. This type of load compensates for the battery's voltage drop as it discharges to keep the discharge current level steady. Since the current level never changes and you know how long it took to discharge the battery down to its cutoff voltage, you only have to multiple the current (amps) by the time (hours) to arrive at the AH capacity for that battery at that current level.
    But basically, the battery is probably just cheaply made with low quality control, so it doesn't always have the advertised claim. The stock battery, OTOH, is almost ALWAYS high quality controlled, because they rely on this battery to give the advertised ratings for the phone itself. If they had a poor quality battery, they'd constantly have returns for the phone life being too short. Aftermarket vendors don't care about this, so they don't always have the same quality standards.

And no OS or App can measure what's IN the battery. They can only measure what they take out of the battery, and compare it to the battery's current voltage. The phone is measuring beginning voltage, current(amps) draw, and current(time) voltage to calculate the mAh of the battery.

The way a battery monitor works is it records the mah you put back into the battery. It doesnt matter what amps its flowing at or how much the battery can take. It just records how much goes in. So if your battery isnt drained completly its not going to record the full mah either.
    Yes, and no. A charger doesn't discharge, so it can't measure the discharge rate. The phone, however, is constantly discharging the battery, and has the ability to measure the discharge rate. Even if it can't measure the discharge current, you can mathematically calculate estimated time remaining based on the voltage drop over time(which essentially gives you the current).
  16.    #16  
    Ill run a discharge test with the Battery Monitor app, going from 100% till i get the warning saying its gonna shut off. I will have the app running the whole time along with, My Tether, so i should be able to discharge it quickly. Maybe then the app can get a true (*more accurate*) mAh reading with a full discharge like SpeedWagon says.

I'll post results as soon as the bat dies.
  17.    #17  
    Anyone else with an Amzer 1400 having the same results? I should have some detailed results on my test stated above in about an hour.
  18.    #18  
    Heres the runtime test for the Amzer 1400 mAh

I had My Tether running (WiFi) and the Battery Monitor App(both ran from full battery till it died), screen was on the whole time(lowest brightness setting), Made a couple short phone calls and sent a few text.

I had the screen on the whole time so the battery would die faster lol
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sburlbaw View Post
    Heres the runtime test for the Amzer 1400 mAh
    How does that compare to the stock battery?
    Quote Originally Posted by DryBear View Post
    FWIW, the battery app reports my amzer 1400 as 1282 as well.
    Ditto: I'm getting 1282 as well