1. 4AM
    So, it's obvious that the Palm Pre can be used with Bluetooth headets, that's a given. However, is there any way possible to use the Palm Pre as a Bluetooth headset?

For example, I don't own a Bluetooth headset, but I do have a PS3, and I'd like to be able to chat while playing online games. I have a USB headset I could use, but the cord is too short to reach the couch, so I'd be stuck playing on the floor, or re-arranging the room.

Is there some way possible, then, to use the Pre + included earbuds/microphone to transmit to the PS3? This would be extra convenient because I would be able to receive calls/message alerts while playing without much effort!

If it isn't possible now, does anyone think it may be possible with an app? I haven't looked much at the Dev Kit (PPC Mac user...sounds like I need to spend some more upgrade money on all my gear lol), but could you make an App that routed sound input out through the Bluetooth connection while playing back sound received?
    The Pre cannot be used as a headset. The PS3 would have to be a Hands Free (HF) device connecting to the Pre which is a Hands Free Gateway device (HFG).
    I say this without trying to sound like a jerk, but couldn't you get a BT headsead for $20 or $30, bucks and save yourself all the aggrevation of trying to MacGyver something??
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Smart View Post
    I say this without trying to sound like a jerk, but couldn't you get a BT headsead for $20 or $30, bucks and save yourself all the aggrevation of trying to MacGyver something??
    But what fun would that be?

It would be interesting from a purely academic standpoint though. It may have other uses, too.
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    can't you just buy a USB extension cord for your USB headset? Just a couple of bucks at Fry's or similar.
    Last edited by jrtesq; 09/18/2009 at 10:58 AM. Reason: add words
    It may seem like I am doing nothing, but on a cellular level I'm really quite busy.
  6. 4AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Smart View Post
    It just seems silly to me that a device that does so much, including the simplest things like being a calculator, cannot feed audio to another device. Can you make the Palm advertise itself as a "Hands Free" Bluetooth device? Is this something that could be accomplished with a driver modification or is the Hands Free Gateway Device status hard-wired into the Pre?

Seems like an awfully simple modification that would go a long way in usefulness. I imagine there are plenty of other situations where this might be useful, some of which may not have even been invented yet. How about your Pre as a stage mic for presentations in the office? Anything that saves money in this day in age is an innovation, and what the hell do I need a Bluetooth headset for when I've got the PrePhones, which sound better than 90% of earbuds I've ever heard anyway, including most Bluetooth headsets?

I guess I'd love to just leave one earphone in all day and only reach into my pocket if I needed to see something on the screen.

PS: I moved a chair across my living room to plug in my USB headset, and to my dismay no one says anything useful while playing Fat Princess anyway