Has anyone not used baby shampoo to install their Phantomskinz, or use a drop of just regular shampoo? Wondering if there's another alternative to going out and buying a bottle of shampoo... thanks.
    If they call for baby shampoo, I would say go buy a travel sized one for a couple bucks. Keep it for an emergency.
    I actually had no idea that was the secret to such an amazing application. IS uses some strange partial water chemical, and it does a considerably less perfect job.
    Lovin Sprint, and the Pre.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    i personally did not use baby shampoo and it turned out real well. i believe baby shampoo allows you to slide the phantom skinz to get the right fit. rather than perfectly lining up the phantom skin to the pre before applying the skin.
  4. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    I used a drop of Dawn. It worked just fine.

Anything that reduces the surface tension of the water should work.

xtn
    Quote Originally Posted by xtn View Post
    I used a drop of Dawn. It worked just fine.

Anything that reduces the surface tension of the water should work.

xtn
    xtn,

You are correct. The reason that we suggest the use of a shampoo/soap is to act as a surfactant and aid in the installation (slide around) of our film. We have found from "trial and error" that Johnson's Baby Shampoo is one of the more pure soaps/surfactants that is readily available to the public. Most will work but some types of soap are just too "soapy" (it makes the film slide forever and seem to never adhere).

We hope to release a "Pro Installers Kit" later this year that will contain that exact shampoo along with some additional tools that just make repetitive installations easier. We will announce on Twitter when ready.

Guru
    Thanks for the responses. I just used some dish detergent and it seemed to work fine.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rumi View Post
    Thanks for the responses. I just used some dish detergent and it seemed to work fine.
    great to hear! you are going to love your phantom skinz.
    A nice bowl of water with a single drop of dish detergent works fine for most any of these skins. I have done both bests skins ever and invisible shield installs on various devices just dipping it in a bowl of that solution. I guess now people use spray bottles but if you just let any extra drip off and put it on while still wet its no problem.
    A drop of any liquid soap will work. I do that when applying vinyl stickers at work. Its a lifesaver.
  10. ame
    Global Posts
    2,714 Global Posts
    I used Prell for mine. Worked fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharkims View Post
    IS uses some strange partial water chemical, and it does a considerably less perfect job.
    I have talked with the IS people before cause one of the skins they sent me iwth the solution I guess was leaking or something, so when I went ot install I had no solution...DOH

The guy there told me they just use a 99% to 1% water to soap ratio. I didn't ask which kind in particular they use, but he mentioned I could just use something similar to Dawn original.
  12. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    I would guess that most additives in fancier soaps wouldn't hurt, but I don't know for sure. I'm talking about extra stuff manufacturers put into their formulas like perfumes and moisturizers, etc. Just to be on the safe side stick with something more pure like the baby shampoo or Dawn original.
    Global Posts
    169 Global Posts
    What about Ivory Soap? You know...99 and 44/100ths pure.
    My Evolution
    Palm Pilot
    Palm V
    Clie N760C
    Treo 650
    Centro
    Pre