Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've pretty much tried most of the extended batteries for the Pre. Been pretty happy with Seidio's but have been wondering what the big 3800 from either Amzer or Mugen would be like (yeah...LARGE!). I broke down and ordered a Mugen today....$89. Couldn't find Amzers in stock and besides, the price seems OK so will report out on what results I end up getting. But I'm a pretty heavy user and even the Seidio 2800 has run out of power by the end of the day a few times. Should be interesting.
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    I just got my Mugen 3800 mAh battery in today.

Holy craptastic on a stick did it phatten up my Pre! Even more than I really expected. It's on the charger now tho. Took some pix and will have a good report after torture testing it on my trip to orlando next week.
    looking forward to your next post
    Quote Originally Posted by Finally Pre View Post
    looking forward to your next post
    +2
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    I'll post some pictures tomorrow. Full torture test review will be after I get back from orlando.
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    Ok. First day with a fully charged 3800 Mugen.

I've attached a crappy no flash picture (win mo phone - only other camera in the house, sorry) to give you an idea of just how chunky it makes your pre compared to a stock pre.

Now, for some - this may be a bit much. For me tho, it's the same thickness as my Treo 755p with an aluminum case, so I'm used to that. Still, I had gotten used to how thin the Pre is so this was a bit of culture shock even for me.

On the other hand, I -knew- it would chunk up the pre anyway. I didn't buy the battery for looks, I bought it for staying power. The other I kind of don't like is that when typing on the keyboard, you can hear/tell that that part of the case is hollow. Minor thing really, not a big deal. I think overall the Pre fits better in my hands for typing. Or maybe I was just used to my Treo and its case and this feels more 'right' to me than the thin Pre ever did.

This being the first day and all, I don't think my battery % is going to be very accurate but things are looking good so far. I have 6 different email accounts set to get email "as items arrive". 5 google based calendars, Facebook calendar, and the Palm profile calendar (which I don't use). Google talk and AIM logged in and available. Facebook sync. WiFi and Bluetooth both on. Switcheroo is installed and set to change to a random wallpaper once an hour.

At 8:45 this morning I took the phat Pre off the charger. Did some instant messaging, some web browsing, checked twitter, used friendsflow and posted a comment, sent an email with 3 pictures attached to it. Checked a couple of notes on Evernote. Did some reading of various emails between now and then. No calls yet. It's now 10:32 and Battery says "93%" Now, for me, I'd say that's light to moderate use so far this morning. I think I'm way ahead of where I'd be with the stock battery by now. But, again, this is just the first day. I'll know after a few more days just how well the battery holds up. Especially so this weekend. Going to see Jonathan Coulton in STL with an old buddy of mine and Sunday I fly out to Orlando, FL for the week. That'll really stress test the battery.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ssrjazz View Post
    Ok. First day with a fully charged 3800 Mugen.

I've attached a crappy no flash picture (win mo phone - only other camera in the house, sorry) to give you an idea of just how chunky it makes your pre compared to a stock pre.

Now, for some - this may be a bit much. For me tho, it's the same thickness as my Treo 755p with an aluminum case, so I'm used to that. Still, I had gotten used to how thin the Pre is so this was a bit of culture shock even for me.

On the other hand, I -knew- it would chunk up the pre anyway. I didn't buy the battery for looks, I bought it for staying power. The other I kind of don't like is that when typing on the keyboard, you can hear/tell that that part of the case is hollow. Minor thing really, not a big deal. I think overall the Pre fits better in my hands for typing. Or maybe I was just used to my Treo and its case and this feels more 'right' to me than the thin Pre ever did.

This being the first day and all, I don't think my battery % is going to be very accurate but things are looking good so far. I have 6 different email accounts set to get email "as items arrive". 5 google based calendars, Facebook calendar, and the Palm profile calendar (which I don't use). Google talk and AIM logged in and available. Facebook sync. WiFi and Bluetooth both on. Switcheroo is installed and set to change to a random wallpaper once an hour.

At 8:45 this morning I took the phat Pre off the charger. Did some instant messaging, some web browsing, checked twitter, used friendsflow and posted a comment, sent an email with 3 pictures attached to it. Checked a couple of notes on Evernote. Did some reading of various emails between now and then. No calls yet. It's now 10:32 and Battery says "93%" Now, for me, I'd say that's light to moderate use so far this morning. I think I'm way ahead of where I'd be with the stock battery by now. But, again, this is just the first day. I'll know after a few more days just how well the battery holds up. Especially so this weekend. Going to see Jonathan Coulton in STL with an old buddy of mine and Sunday I fly out to Orlando, FL for the week. That'll really stress test the battery.
    LMAO at the size of that thing.

GG why not just carry a car battery around in your pocket!

I use on of these and carry a couple sets of eneloops for traveling (and I have two spare batteries.

Tekkeon - TekCharge MP1550, emergency power, emergency battery

It may work great but there is no way in hell I am carrying around a phone that looks like it could be used to take out a small country!
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    Listen, if you don't like the size, that's fine. Don't need comments on how it looks. I didn't buy the battery for it's looks - I bought it so I could USE my damn device w/o having to charge it up every hour or so.

Yeesh...

No haters needed in this thread, plz! kthxbai!
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    To be fair this is a review of a product and reviews have postive and negative points. If you don't acknowledge the negative points then its not a very comprehensive or useful review to perspective buyers.

I have the seido 2600 which is about as big as I think I could go (essentially doubles the size of the pre), I can understand then need for more juice (My battery last about a day of heavy use) but I don't think I could sacrifice anymore size. If it was that big of an issue i think I'd just buy an extra extended battery.

Regardless I feel that no matter how big the battery is you can't stray to far from a power source for any extended period of time. Its probably just easier to buy a car charger or extra charger for work.
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mscemt View Post
    To be fair this is a review of a product and reviews have postive and negative points. If you don't acknowledge the negative points then its not a very comprehensive or useful review to perspective buyers.
    I -did- acknowledge the size when I posted pictures. Not only that, I also mentioned that I (and probably anyone else who was looking for the battery) also wouldn't give a damn about how thick it made the Pre.

My point was that we didn't need a whole string of "OMG it's SO HUGE/UGLY/WHATEVER!" posts.

I also never said I was doing a fair and impartial review either. Quite the contrary. I'm merely posting my own opinions and experiences from my point of view. People can take it with a grain of salt if they want, or not, or completely ignore it. Don't need a brazillion ppl saying how big it is. We all KNOW how big it is, either get over it and buy one, or don't.
  11.    #11  
    It's pretty much like anything else. Everyone has an opinion...and that's fine. If the size bothers you, don't buy it or don't waste your time reading about it. If you think you need the power and don't care about the size, buy it and let those who have some interest know how it works out. No one is telling anyone they HAVE to do anything.

If there's any group of people who should get the fact that we aren't all sheep and we all look at things differently, I would think it would be Pre owners!

(end of rant?
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post
    LMAO at the size of that thing.

GG why not just carry a car battery around in your pocket!

I use on of these and carry a couple sets of eneloops for traveling (and I have two spare batteries.

Tekkeon - TekCharge MP1550, emergency power, emergency battery

It may work great but there is no way in hell I am carrying around a phone that looks like it could be used to take out a small country!

I think I'd rather just have a bigger phone than carry about another item or two just to provide juice. Be it the emergency power device or chargers. I hate carrying a bunch of extra junk around when flying or traveling. Plus it's always a pain to jockey with other people for outlets at airports. If your going to carry extra batteries you might as well get 1 bigger battery. I'm still on the fence between the 2800 & 3800.

Looking forward to your posting about how it does over the trip to Fl.
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    Just a short first day update. I had a pretty light usage day today. No calls, maily just a few mms and checking email. I did use some usb drive mode for a bit to copy some movies over for the trip, so it did charge for about 20 min. Watched a few minutes of a couple of the movies I copied over after disconnecting the usb cable. Also downloaded and installed the CellStalker app and manually updated Longitude and tested them both briefly.

Got home and have been doing some twitter, email, friends flow, and some web browsing (including this post) for the last hour and a half.

Battery is @ 72%

So that's about a 10 hr day of light use on a lil over 1/4 of the battery.

Really looking forward to how well it does on my travel day on sunday. I'm gonna give it some heavy use then
    Last edited by ssrjazz; 09/17/2009 at 06:50 PM.
    Holy Christ. Might as well get a Touch pro instead of that batt. lool
    Global Posts
    381 Global Posts
    Ok, I am debating between the 2800 and the 3800. The 3800 looks a little thick, but I am not sure if the 2800 will be enough. Decisions, decisions.
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    Hello from Orlando, FL

Had a very heavy use on my travel day today. Thought I'd give a quick report.

Took the Pre off the charger at about 8:30 CST this morning. Did a couple of phone calls, watched 3 hours of video, many txts, took several photos and mailed them to twitpic and flickr, quite a bit of web browsing, had the cellstalker homebrew app running in the background. Got to Orlando at 5pm CST, used sprint nav to get to the hotel, then to cheesecake factory and back to hotel again, more email and txts.

Finally at 8:30CST I got the 20% battery remaining warning.

So, I didn't do more than a phone call or two...but that was pretty heavy use - even more than I'd normally do in a day (and probably heavier than I'll use it during the day the rest of the week as well) and it took 12 hours to use 80% of the battery!

I LOVE this battery! I don't care how FAT it makes my Pre!
    Holy 3 hours of watching video plus cellstalker on?!? LOL: that battery can run my laptop
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    Cellstalker only updates every 10 min, so its not a big battery drain.

First half-day of the conference done and the cell signals were so bad in the basement where we were that I was down to 50% after 6 hours of use. Kept switching from evdo to 1x to roaing and couldn't get a decent signal for crap.

Still, stock battery would have been done within a couple of hours with that horrible signal situation.
  19.    #19  
    My 3800 should arrive any day now. The extended Seidio 2600 just hasn't been consistent enough for me. Some days it ends the day with nearly 50% remaining. Yet the next day I'm out of power by 2PM. Same usage. I just don't get it. I want to love it...I like the size and the back...easy for me to use...but everytime I think it's going to work out, I run out of power by early afternoon. And now it's running out almost every other day. I'm going to try the Mugen 3800 and see if that can help. Love the Pre but still battling keeping it powered up.
    Quote Originally Posted by ssrjazz View Post
    Listen, if you don't like the size, that's fine. Don't need comments on how it looks. I didn't buy the battery for it's looks - I bought it so I could USE my damn device w/o having to charge it up every hour or so.

Yeesh...

No haters needed in this thread, plz! kthxbai!
    I don't like how it looks and that is my opinion. I would return my phone for a phone with better battery life before I carried a phone that looked like a hockey puck. But to each their own. I hope it works well for you.

I could deal with the midsize extended batteries/case but now way I could see carrying that around 24/7.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast