Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    631 Global Posts
    What is it about the stock microUSB charging cable that makes it work? I have found that the problem of 3rd party chargers not working properly is not the output (mah) of the charger, rather the actual microUSB connector. Let me explain:
    - I use the Callpod Fueltank charger when I am on the go. I have been using it with the microusb connector made for it. It works most of the time, however sometimes I find myself fighting to get it to work (plug, unplug,plug, unplug, plug, etc.).
    -I also have the USB connector for the callpod and whenever I plug in the stock usb cable, it ALWAYS works.
    (SAME CHARGING DEVICE USED)

SAME situation in my car. I have a USB adapter that I plug into the cigaratte lighter. When I use the adapter with a 3rd party cable, it is "iffy" at best, sometimes it charges, sometimes the pre doesn't know its plugged in. BUT whenever I plug in the stock cable, like clock-work, it ALWAYS works.

Thoughts?
    i tried 3rd party they just don't seem to work. I'm usin Stock charger and palm car charger no problems.
    i bought the cheap generic one from monoprice.com and it works just fine!
    Try this:
    with the screen OFF, plug the phone in, wait 2-3 seconds, turn the screen on. If its still not charging, turn screen off and wait. It can take several minutes, but eventually it will enter charge mode.

Alternately, plug it in with the screen on, turn the screen off, wait 3-5 seconds, and turn the screen back on. One of these usually works for me and my el cheapo cig adapter.
    Oh christ. I just got a $.99 one from China via eGay. $.99 down duh drain.
    Give this a shot to all of you (like me) who have third-party cables....:
    1. Slide out the keyboard of the Pre, which turns on the device
    2. Plug in the 3rd party cable.
    3. The Pre should always start charging.

This works flawlessly for me on 2 sets of 3rd-party cables (One Chinese retractable from Ebay and one from the local Computer supplies store)

Hope this helps.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    I also found that the palm pre screen needs to be 'on' for it to recognize a 3rd party [non palm] power source for it to start charging, and then it takes a few seconds for it to recognize it was plugged in and start charging. if i plug in the charger when the screen is off/device is idle, it doesn't charge.

Quote Originally Posted by stealph View Post
    Give this a shot to all of you (like me) who have third-party cables....:
    1. Slide out the keyboard of the Pre, which turns on the device
    2. Plug in the 3rd party cable.
    3. The Pre should always start charging.

This works flawlessly for me on 2 sets of 3rd-party cables (One Chinese retractable from Ebay and one from the local Computer supplies store)

Hope this helps.
    I have a bunch of 3rd party usb cables and so far (knock on wood) they have all worked flawlessly. It is the plugs that don't work properly. I have found after receiving and sending back 3 or 4 sets that the output has to be at least 5 volts and the MA needs to be 700 to 1000. Some of the sellers try to get us to believe that iPod chargers will work with this phone and that is just not true. With the way this phone used up a battery it would make sense that it would take a little more power to run the phone.
    Mary
    Palm Pre (her)
    Palm Pre (his)
    I have Sprint and proud of it!
    I use this mini to micro adapter with my htc wall charger and it works, but you have to plug it in, open the slider and thit the power button. You will then hear the charging chime. Works everytime.

Kinda weird that it doesn't just start charging until I open the phone. I got it off ebay for $2.00
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by v-feezy11 View Post
    Same here got six of them for like $8 or some ridiculous price like that
    In this post I am going into the rating not the usb. However that is of great concern to.

I have contacted several of the bigger sellers on Ebay to get the information on the units they sell. I asked them if the units they sell advertised for the Pre are rates at 5 or 12 volt output and what amp rating. NONE responded with any rating info. One said we do not have a pre so have never tested it. Another said it is rated to work with Pre. I have purchased several of these units and I have yet to find any imported unit with any cost savings that is rated at 5v 1000ma. I have not Contacted Monoprice yet if I were to guess they would be the ONLY one I have ever dealt with that has ALWAYS come through PERFECT.
    What can you do to help Pre'ers? Try what I have done. I have wrote back to the sellers that I have purchased from and asked for a refund and REQUESTED that they pull the adds they have for Pre chargers that will not work or they will be reported to Ebay for false advertising. Most have pulled some have not and Ebay is working on it.
    I have the official Sprint car charger and I have the same issues. My fix to get it to work (someone in another thread told me this) is to close all open cards, turn off the screen, wait 10 secs and then plug in the phone. It normally works to do this. It's super irritating though and I wish Palm would fix this issue. This has to be one of the stupidest bugs on the phone. Wouldn't be so bad in my eyes except that it happens with the Sprint charger that they sell in store. Come on Palm.
    The connector is different. They short together two of the pins for the high current draw. Read this post for more info.

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post1685380
    Global Posts
    631 Global Posts
    UPDATE: It might not be the connector/plug. I had the same thing happen today while using the stock cable with the Fueltank. No matter how many times I rebooted or pulled the battery it wouldn't work. SOLUTION: UNPLUG it before pulling the battery and it now works. This happened twice today. I think it has something to do with memory or something not being "cleared" upon reset due to having the phone plugged in....make sense?
    Quote Originally Posted by v-feezy11 View Post
    I also continue to have great success with monoprice.

- Craig
    Quote Originally Posted by phreakish View Post
    Try this:
    with the screen OFF, plug the phone in, wait 2-3 seconds, turn the screen on. If its still not charging, turn screen off and wait. It can take several minutes, but eventually it will enter charge mode...
    The plug in only when the screen is off is the thing that works for me.

- Craig
    My theory is that if the phone is idle/locked/screen off, and you plug in - when you turn on the screen, the phone will SEE the incoming signal to charge. Several DIY charger threads and instructions have included notes about shorting the data leads. This trick allows the phone to go 'looking' for the charger. Im of the belief that when the phone is clicked on, after being idle, that it does this no matter the state of the data input.

Ive had mixed results with other ways, keyboard open, etc, but this always works. I can also just plug the charger in, and toss it on the passenger seat. Eventually it recognizes and begins to charge. Its usually around 5 mins, but its inconsistent.

FWIW, I use a rocketfish car charger.

Also, the amperage available by these chargers should not result in a charger not being recognized by the phone. With Lith polymer, and Lith Ion batts, its a constant voltage signal that charges the battery. There is a chip built into the phone for this purpose, and it only requires an input voltage range. I remember way back when Lith batts first came out (I was involved in the RC field then and built several of my own Lith chargers), that the chip used to drive a charger from a USB port was also new, and you could feed it regulated 5v, all the way up to around 7, and it didnt care. The max amperage INTO the battery is roughly equal to about .9 times the input amperage available. So, a low amp charger should only yield a slower recharge.

Seeing as how most USB ports can drive about 1.5A, and that you cannot charge a Lith batt at over 1C (1*capacity, or in the case of the pre 1035 mA, there are exceptions, but this is a safe charge rate that will yield a 1hr charge time) that even a simple voltage divider run off the cigarette adapter could easily step down the power and still deliver the necessary amperage without going low volt (under 5v). So, Im pretty well inclined to think it has more to do with the state of the data lines than the rating of the cable/charger.

However, take note that if there arent enough amps available, you wont get a fast charge rate, and if the device is running, you may not charge at all! BUT, the phone should still be in 'charge' mode.
    duplicate post, sry
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    I've found that by inserting the TOP of the tip of the MicroUSB into the phone first, and smoothly (and slowly) inserting it the rest of the way in a smooth motion ... it almost always charges the 1st time. Sprint Charger..
    I got a 5 dollar car charger from eBay for Micro USB. Found out that it was an OEM Verizon charger (has the dumb logo on it) Doesnt work at all. Basically I have a cool light up verizon logo. Same one that my friend uses on his Tour and I use his Tour wall charger all the time just fine.. *shrugs*
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast