Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by schnoid View Post
    has anyone figured out how to power the touchstone from the cigarette lighter yet? I heard people were having to wire it into their car. That would be a pain.
    I shaved the top off of the Sprint car charger plug and it is working like a champ.

- Craig
    Global Posts
    169 Global Posts
    The iGrip looks really nice and you can't beat the price. In another thread someone was looking for a car mount that would work with the Seidio 2600 battery. I had purchased a ProClip vent mount holder when they first came out and am very happy with it. I bought the one that fits the Pre with the standard battery when the phone is closed. Soon afterward I purchased the 2600 extended battery. I had it in my car one day and discovered that it fits perfectly into the ProClip holder when it's open (see photos below).

It is a nice, tight fit. So now I can use this holder with either battery. Who would have guessed?

My Evolution
    Palm Pilot
    Palm V
    Clie N760C
    Treo 650
    Centro
    Pre
    I'm expecting my VENT mount I-Grip any hour now, I'm amazed at the flexibility of the I-Grip over the Proclip (open/closed/swivel) and the price is truly unbeatable, I'll post of up a review when it arrives.
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DrHeathenScum View Post
    FWIW, US Postal Priority Mail flat rate at the minimum is going to cost $4.95 to ship.... $6 shipping is pretty spot on.
    After reading the earlier comment about $6 being too high, I was glad to see others are not so ignorant. At $4.95 shipping (even $4.80 with the online discount), there is the cost of the box, likely some bubble wrap or other packaging too. In the end, what difference does it really make? Your cost is product plus shipping (plus anything else they want to add). Does it matter if the product is $20 and shipping $6 or if the product is $26 and shipping is free? (sorry to go off topic. Back to the originally scheduled programming)
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    I'm expecting my VENT mount I-Grip any hour now, I'm amazed at the flexibility of the I-Grip over the Proclip (open/closed/swivel) and the price is truly unbeatable, I'll post of up a review when it arrives.
    my understanding was that the vent mount doesn't swivel? Did they change that? If it actually does, i'm gonna jump on buying this, no question.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeking View Post
    After reading the earlier comment about $6 being too high, I was glad to see others are not so ignorant. At $4.95 shipping (even $4.80 with the online discount), there is the cost of the box, likely some bubble wrap or other packaging too. In the end, what difference does it really make? Your cost is product plus shipping (plus anything else they want to add). Does it matter if the product is $20 and shipping $6 or if the product is $26 and shipping is free? (sorry to go off topic. Back to the originally scheduled programming)
    It's funny that you actually think a retailer would pay $4.95 to ship a 1 ounce piece of plastic. (and i'm the ignorant one) If they can't find a more financially viable way of shipping something that small and light then something's very wrong with their business practices. I know they're not amazon, but I'm sure they can figure something out. Like I said, my issue is with the principle of the matter. I don't like when online retailers inflate shipping costs to make their products look cheaper. I love PreCentral, but this is one issue that they really should improve on.
    Quote Originally Posted by schnoid View Post
    It's funny that you actually think a retailer would pay $4.95 to ship a 1 ounce piece of plastic. (and i'm the ignorant one) If they can't find a more financially viable way of shipping something that small and light then something's very wrong with their business practices. I know they're not amazon, but I'm sure they can figure something out. Like I said, my issue is with the principle of the matter. I don't like when online retailers inflate shipping costs to make their products look cheaper. I love PreCentral, but this is one issue that they really should improve on.
    Dude, do you live under a rock? Seriously... it doesn't matter if it's 1 ounce or 15 ounces... it still is not going out the door for less than $4.80 for a company that size. Anything that small gets rounded up to a pound. The only exception would be if it gets shipped USPS First Class, which has no tracking, no conformation, no frills at all. Most businesses will not ship anything without some kind of delivery confirmation. If it shipped UPS, the shipping cost would be over $6 to a residential address. Hell, I've paid twice that for standard shipping on a 2 ounce item... granted, it cost over $500, but it still weighed 2 ounces.

Bottom line, $6 shipping for a small item is fair... end of story.
    Dude, do you live under a rock? Seriously... it doesn't matter if it's 1 ounce or 15 ounces... it still is not going out the door for less than $4.80 for a company that size. Anything that small gets rounded up to a pound. The only exception would be if it gets shipped USPS First Class, which has no tracking, no conformation, no frills at all. Most businesses will not ship anything without some kind of delivery confirmation. If it shipped UPS, the shipping cost would be over $6 to a residential address. Hell, I've paid twice that for standard shipping on a 2 ounce item... granted, it cost over $500, but it still weighed 2 ounces.

Bottom line, $6 shipping for a small item is fair... end of story.
    well, u say end of story, so I'm sure that must be the case. I'm not an expert at this stuff, but even if you ship a few hundred packages a month, there's bulk shipping rates. Companies that ship a lot of stuff do not pay the same amount as the rest of us. I'm not sure where you get that $4.80 number, but I bet if I wandered down to the Fedex store, I could manage to ship something that small for less than $4.80. I'm not sure why you're so intent on defending obviously inflated shipping costs, but u can say things like "do you live under a rock" or "you're ignorant" all day long and it won't help your cause. If most of us saw $6 shipping costs for something this small on ebay, we'd be annoyed, I dunno y PreCentral magically gets a pass from people like you.
    I ship about 40 or so packages a month... I have a pretty good idea what shipping costs. $4.80 is a discounted USPS Priority Mail rate for a flat rate box or a regular package, 1 pound or less. UPS bulk discounts will get you down close to that, but still, everything is rounded up to 1 pound. I could care less who is shipping it or where it is coming from, $6 is a fair charge for a small item, unless maybe you're dealing with a mega-retailer.

If you wander down to your local FedEx store and can ship a blueberry to me, have it get here undamaged, and get a confirmation that it arrived, for less that $4.80, I will pay your Sprint bill for one month.

Shipping stuff today is not cheap.
    Global Posts
    169 Global Posts
    Well, yes, the iGrip does allow for use opened or closed, but my ProClip does swivel and as mentioned before, I don't think the iGrip does, at least not for landscape position like my ProClip. Let us know. I would like to mount one in my other car.
    My Evolution
    Palm Pilot
    Palm V
    Clie N760C
    Treo 650
    Centro
    Pre
    I ship about 40 or so packages a month... I have a pretty good idea what shipping costs. $4.80 is a discounted USPS Priority Mail rate for a flat rate box or a regular package, 1 pound or less. UPS bulk discounts will get you down close to that, but still, everything is rounded up to 1 pound. I could care less who is shipping it or where it is coming from, $6 is a fair charge for a small item, unless maybe you're dealing with a mega-retailer.

If you wander down to your local FedEx store and can ship a blueberry to me, have it get here undamaged, and get a confirmation that it arrived, for less that $4.80, I will pay your Sprint bill for one month.

Shipping stuff today is not cheap.
    might take you up on that challenge if I get a bit of free time. ;-) Of course I don't expect to be able to ship for a discounted rate since I'm only sending one package, but I'm thinking I could manage that even without a bulk discount. Is it legal to ship fruit across the country? I hope you realize i have a family plan of over $130/month. ;-)
    Got it today, very pleased with it so far. cant wait to mount it. it doesn't swivel, my one concern is that it hooks into the small crevice between the two halves, shouldn't be a problem though. will post up photos later tonight,unless someone beats to me to.
    Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    are we really going to spend a page about shipping charge?

vickmackey, which version did you get?
  13.    #53  
    Got it today, very pleased with it so far. cant wait to mount it. it doesn't swivel, my one concern is that it hooks into the small crevice between the two halves, shouldn't be a problem though. will post up photos later tonight,unless someone beats to me to.
    Can't wait to hear your review/photos!
    The mount looks good, although with the Pre in it you can't really see the mount which is sort of the point. With the Pre open you really can't see it.

The phone can be slipped open or closed while on the mount easily, so it's very versatile. It also unhooks with little effort. Only downside is that it doesn't swivel, but i didn't expect it to.

So in my car it mounts well and the Pre Looks great in it! It is very visible and doesn't completely make my vent useless as some had feared. My phone no longer slides across my seat when i'm cornering and is the perfect solution for Pandora/Music + Sprint Nav. So overall I recommend it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The mount looks good, although with the Pre in it you can't really see the mount which is sort of the point. With the Pre open you really can't see it.

The phone can be slipped open or closed while on the mount easily, so it's very versatile. It also unhooks with little effort. Only downside is that it doesn't swivel, but i didn't expect it to.

So in my car it mounts well and the Pre Looks great in it! It is very visible and doesn't completely make my vent useless as some had feared. My phone no longer slides across my seat when i'm cornering and is the perfect solution for Pandora/Music + Sprint Nav. So overall I recommend it.
    Great review and beautiful pictures! Thanks for sharing it! I'm probably gonna end up buying the $13 addon piece since I already have the vent mount part from my old Treo. It'll be $19 with shipping, but at least I'll finally have a mount for my car. Like you, i'm tired of my phone sliding around in my car as I'm cornering. If they made a vent mount swivel and touchstone combo with this kind of design, I'd be jumping for joy. I'm surprised I haven't seen any third party touchstone type mounts yet!
  16.    #56  

That looks great VickMackey?

Is there any worry of the mount scratching your Pre, and do you have any sort of skin on your Pre?
    No real scratching worries, it just sits in it perfectly, and the top mount just slips slightly in between the halves. And no skin, naked Pre all the way.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    very very cool. Should work great mounted up as a GPS.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Hey, for those of you that purchased the custom fit mounts I wanted some input -- does the mount clip into the gap between the two halves of the phone? If so does it create some gap where there wasn't any?

I am very happy with the build of my pre and I'm wary about getting a mount that may force a larger gap and create some wobble between the halves.

Thanks all!
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    I have had the Pre for about a month and I really like it. I have not had a Palm device in years since the original Palm Pilot + several from that series. I used the sprint navigation with a charger I got from monoprice and when I got to my destination the Pre was DOA, and I thought it was charging all the way. I have been checking out car mounts and chargers etc. This one may work great for me, but I was wondering if anyone have tried out this car holster kit?

"Amzer Holster is small, neat and discreet provides great carrying convenience for your Palm Pre. prethinkingstore.com/Amzer-Car-Holster-P84315"
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast