1.    #1  
    My wife's Samsung phone takes a micro-usb tipped charger. Can I harm her phone by using my Pre charger?
    Visor->650->Pre
    It shouldn't--everything micro-usb should be 5 volts, so that's the important thing. But you never know. The bigger risk with swapping micro-usb is that it won't charge fast enough, but since the Pre charger is capable of putting out 1000mA, it should satisfy just about anything.

Of course, you do this at your own risk--don't blame me if it fries her phone.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    SO far I have charged my phone with a standard Micro USB and a Mini usb with a Micro adapter and I have had no problems (the Pre does tend to charge a little slower at times though).

nb
    The pre will charge fastest on the palm a/c adapter and slower on slandard computer usb. As far another phone... The only one for the touchstone is the pix. I don't know if safe for other phones using palm usb.
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by biggnaa20 View Post
    SO far I have charged my phone with a standard Micro USB and a Mini usb with a Micro adapter and I have had no problems (the Pre does tend to charge a little slower at times though).
    Where'd you get the mini to micro USB adapter? I've been looking for one...
  6. ird
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    I've used my girlfriends charger that came with her LG Xenon. It charges with the same usb connector as the pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by garavin View Post
    Where'd you get the mini to micro USB adapter? I've been looking for one...
    Bestbuy
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    MicroUSB is standard, even though the Pre's charger allows more current. Shouldn't hurt anything.
    I have tried both my Palm home and car chargers on my GFs LG ENV3, both chargers will display this message on her phone when plugged in...
    "This charger is not recommended for this phone" well something along those lines. The battery indicator shows that her phone is charging.

She did not want to continue to use the Palm chargers on her phone, she is scared of that error message.

Anyone have any experience with this or see any reason not to continue to use them?

Her LG charger is rated for 5.1V and .7A

The extra amperage should not hurt the phone should it?

Thanks!
    The extra current shouldn't hurt her phone. The voltage is controlled at the source, and the current rating means that it will continue to put out 5 volts until the device tries to draw more than that, at which point it will no longer put out 5 volts.

Now, if her phone depends on the charger to limit the current at .7A, then the Pre charger may be giving it more current than it wants, which means that it could possibly cause some issues (overheating perhaps). That would be quite a poor design, but anything is possible. I don't think the extra .3A would really be a big deal under normal circumstances though.

However, don't blame me if the battery explodes.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Unfourtunatly it does charge the rant? Or rumor...which ever crappy feature phone my girlfriend is stealing my charger to use with...I hope it melts the port on it!!