Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    about 5 seconds after pulled pre off

about 10 seconds after pulled off
    nice... that would make a cool background
    Interesting indeed! It gets hotter than I thought. Is that after sitting in a car or inside at room temp?
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    way koollllll
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Thats after sitting on the touchstone in my house.
    i wonder if that's gonna have any negative effect on the pre's electronics in the long run
    Quote Originally Posted by impulseballer View Post
    i wonder if that's gonna have any negative effect on the pre's electronics in the long run
    Probably not. Newer PC CPUs generally run up to 70-80C = 158-176F, without any real long term effects.

Obviously it depends on the actual chip, but since it was designed to be fanless, I don't think we really have anything to worry about at around 100F.
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    I'm more jealous that you have a thermal camera. If you happen to have any spares, let me know
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Probably not. Newer PC CPUs generally run up to 70-80C = 158-176F, without any real long term effects.

Obviously it depends on the actual chip, but since it was designed to be fanless, I don't think we really have anything to worry about at around 100F.
    Of course that's just what you're seeing on the outside--it's probably a good deal hotter than that on the inside.

Still, jhoff80 is correct--thermal design is an important part of putting out a new product, and you can be sure that Palm has tested Touchstone charging under many different circumstances. I think it's safe to say that even if it gets pretty hot on the outside, as long as you're using the Touchstone indoors the way it was designed, you're not going to have any thermal problems (as long as everything is normal).

The pictures are really cool (or hot as the case may be) though!
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Haha I wish I had an extra Flir laying around. This one is work bought... its a $8,000 camera..... lol So if I have a spare, I would be a happy camper to be able to throw away money like that.