Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So my next thought for enhancing my overall Pre experience is to consider the Touchstone that so many seem to rave about.

One of my reasons is purely a lazy one. I am in my home office during the day working and usually keep Pre on the USB charge cable in my PC , so I can both keep it charged and have linked access to it for moving files back and forth, mucking with some hacks, and just having it all handy.

But when my work day is done, and I sit in my Family Room with my laptop, I sometimes want to mess around, change dialer stuff and do it the easy way via WebOs QuickInstall. Then I realize my cable is in the other room and I would have to actually get UP to get it (Told ya, Im LAZY)

So, Im considering a Touchstone to keep in the office, and keep the cable in the fam room.

Tho I JUST realized, if I do that, and the cable is NOT in the office, I still wont have access to QuickInstall huh. Hmm

So............ Question is: How does the new back cover affect the look and feel of the Pre? Is it similar or heavier looking or what?

Thanks!
    I love the back that comes with the touchstone. It has a mat finish so it is not as slippery as the original. And it is no longer a fingerprint magnet.

I do not notice any change in weight because of the magnet.

I held off getting the touchstone for a few weeks because I was spending so much on the phone and accessories. Once I got it, I was very happy I did. I use the USB port only when I need to move files or add programs or tweaks that you can't access through filecoaster.
    Getting the Touchstone will be almost the best thing about your Pre. It is such an elegant and convenient way to charge (without having to wrestle with removing the flap on the phone to insert the cord). It has a "sweet spot" so that you know you are successfully charging, but all you need to do is just drop it on the stone when you need to "fill up."

I actually prefer the Touchstone back that comes with it. Better looking and better gripping but not any bulkier.

There are different kits, so if you feel you need to have an extra cord, be sure you buy one with it included. Mine had only the back and stone - I use the cord that came with the Pre to connect the stone to the AC plug that goes into the wall.

Have fun!

p.s. I always enjoy reading your posts, dianehelen!
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine Hom View Post
    Getting the Touchstone will be almost the best thing about your Pre. It is such an elegant and convenient way to charge (without having to wrestle with removing the flap on the phone to insert the cord). It has a "sweet spot" so that you know you are successfully charging, but all you need to do is just drop it on the stone when you need to "fill up."

I actually prefer the Touchstone back that comes with it. Better looking and better gripping but not any bulkier.

There are different kits, so if you feel you need to have an extra cord, be sure you buy one with it included. Mine had only the back and stone - I use the cord that came with the Pre to connect the stone to the AC plug that goes into the wall.

Have fun!

p.s. I always enjoy reading your posts, dianehelen!
    Aweee thanks??? heeehehe Now Im wondering what words of wisdom I have offered to illicit that nice comment above

Hmm oh ya the Touchstone has to also plug into the wall?? Does the plug/cord that comes with it, also have a USB connection so IF I wanted direct access to the PC I could swap from stone to PC?
    Quote Originally Posted by dianehelen View Post
    Aweee thanks??? heeehehe Now Im wondering what words of wisdom I have offered to illicit that nice comment above

Hmm oh ya the Touchstone has to also plug into the wall?? Does the plug/cord that comes with it, also have a USB connection so IF I wanted direct access to the PC I could swap from stone to PC?
    In order to increase their revenue, Palm doesn't include the charging cable/plug for the Touchstone, that's an extra $20-$30 (depending on where you purchase).. I bought the travel charger, and that's been working fine for my second touchstone kit... If you search online, you'll be able to find some good deals.. I got lucky and hooked up with the amazon deals, but I'm not sure if they're having any right now. The cable that you use with the Touchstone is the same as the one that you use for data (the micro USB cable).
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by imtravis View Post
    The cable that you use with the Touchstone is the same as the one that you use for data (the micro USB cable).
    Ahh thanks! Thats what I wanted to know. Hmmm so now Im not sure what to do. I already have 2 of those cables, I use the really long one that came with the Pre, in my car with the Palm Charger that came with a short one. I love the long one in the car so I can keep Pre on my cup holder mount, or pick it up if I have to for any reason. I keep the short cord that came with the Palm Car charger, in the house.

The question is, I gues do I really need yet a 3rd?

Maybe I'll look around for some deal

Thanks for the info all, this is the most helpful forum for so many things. gotta LOVE that
  7.    #7  
    Would THIS do the trick?
    Of course I would need the stone and the back cover, but would this address my other issues?

Amazon.com: USB Data Cable + USB Car Charger + USB Home Travel Charger + Horizontal Large Slim Pouch Carrying Case for Sprint Palm Pre Smartphone: Cell Phones & Service

But then oh my, THIS would give me a cable in each room, and not even need the stone, and be wayyyyyyyyy cheaper???

http://www.amazon.com/Palm-Sprint-Sm...ef=pd_cp_cps_3

But Id probably still covet the "stone" huh?
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Touchstone is the way to go. Trust me! I have 3! One in my home office, one on my nightstand and one at my office at work. I have a car charger for running gps/pandora while on road trips and for a bit of charging here and there...but nothing compares to the ease of just dropping the pre onto the touchstone! It holds it a nice working angle even, so you can easily still use it while on the touchstone charging. I'll also add that while on the touchstone you can take a phone call and it goes straight to speaker phone if you leave it on the touchstone when you tap to answer the phone...I use that ALL THE TIME. I love the speaker phone feature...particularly helpful if you work from a desk a lot. Charges very fast on the touchstone too! Like the others have already said...the back that comes with the Touchstone is much more aesthetically appealing than the high gloss, easily scratched one that comes with the Pre.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    On USB cables for the Touchstone...

The Touchstone needs a USB cable that goes to the wall plug. It's picky about the wall plug used, so best to use the one that comes with the Pre. Or buy a new one. You might find something cheaper, but many wall plugs simply don't work with the Touchstone.

The cable needs to have a small micro-USB plug. If you compare the one that comes with the Pre (it has a silver dot on it) to most any other micro USB cable, you'll see that the Pre's cable has a smaller plastic area. You can use any micro USB cable, but you may need to cut the plastic with a X-Acto knife to be able to fit into the back of the Touchstone.

You cannot connect a Touchstone to a computer. The Touchstone provides only power. So, if you want to connect your Pre to your computer, you'll need to remove it from the Touchstone and plug in a USB cable. You could use the one from the Touchstone, of course.
  10.    #10  
    Ya the little barrel shaped plug thing that came with the Pre just sits and does nothing, unless I am traveling. I can use that for the cable for the stone, and then just my extra cable to keep in the family room.

Think I have it all worked out..

I ordered a .38 cent cable, now just have to get the $50 stone/back kit

Yippee. . .let us know how you like it when you get it all set up. O.K.?

Maybe we can start a Touchstone fan club (heh, heh).
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Ive run into the same problem with the cable, too lazy to go fetch it >_>
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Fihiro View Post
    Ive run into the same problem with the cable, too lazy to go fetch it >_>
    Well if its JUST the cable ya need, here ya go, just blow the .37 cents

Amazon.com: Palm Pre (Sprint) Smartphone USB Data Cable / Charging Cable: Cell Phones & Service
    just ordered 10 of them, but shipping kinda sucked at

Item(s) Subtotal: $3.70
    Shipping & Handling: $29.80

but thanks for the deal, I can now have a cable in all my cars & boats work, home
    Well if its JUST the cable ya need, here ya go, just blow the .37 cents

Amazon.com: Palm Pre (Sprint) Smartphone USB Data Cable / Charging Cable: Cell Phones & Service
    That cable is NOT going to work with the Touchstone unless you file down the head of the microUSB part. They made the slot a particular size, and what do you know...only their cable fits it correctly. Just FYI...

And hopefully, when bluetooth object push and/or wifi file networking is enabled, you wont need to use a USB cable to edit files. But you may still need it for hacks and linux access.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    That cable is NOT going to work with the Touchstone unless you file down the head of the microUSB part. They made the slot a particular size, and what do you know...only their cable fits it correctly. Just FYI...

And hopefully, when bluetooth object push and/or wifi file networking is enabled, you wont need to use a USB cable to edit files. But you may still need it for hacks and linux access.
    Welllll ok, so the cable wont work with touchstone, but will it work for just the PRE and PC?

I can use my original Palm cable from the car charger for the touchstone, and this new one for the extra room one??
    Welllll ok, so the cable wont work with touchstone, but will it work for just the PRE and PC?

I can use my original Palm cable from the car charger for the touchstone, and this new one for the extra room one??
    YES!
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sslow View Post
    YES!
    Then Im a happy camper!
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    My touchstone is being shipped as we speak. Was waiting till precental had them in stock, got back from vacation and put in my order. One of my friends has the TS and we swapped backs so I could see how it felt and how easy it was to use. Was very impressed and felt like a totally different phone, easier to hold, and breeze to charge. A definite must for the Pre.
    Sanyo SCP 4500 > Samsung SCH 1900 > Sanyo SCP 5000 > Treo 755p > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    BTW, those cables look exactly like the ones from monoprice. I have 4 of them, and they take a moment to 'hook up' with the Pre after you connect them. And they dont connect as solid as the Palm ones, so you cant move the Pre around too much. I use one of these cables to charge my Pre at night (my Touchstone is at work), and I have found that you need to plug the cable in while the Pre's screen is on for the cable to be recognized, or I would awake to a Pre that hasnt been charged. Just FYI...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast