Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hey guys and gals,

I was at the Sprint Store yesterday, picked up an extra Touchstone for my house. I noticed they had a new hard case for the Pre, so I decided to pick one up.

I don't know how to upload pictures to this site, so I uploaded them to one of my marketing sites (nothing to buy, just the pictures for you to see). Click on the link below to see them:

Palm Pre Hard Case

My observations:

The phone is cradled on the case. The case snaps to itself and not the phone. This is a big plus as I have heard horror stories of other cases that snap on to the phone and don't come off without breaking something. (See the picture with the slider open and you'll see how the Pre sits on the case.)

The case is sturdy and since the phone is cradled, the case acts as a "rail". You may be able to see what I mean by looking at the sideview picture. The top portion moves up and down on a "rail" on each side. This keeps the phone stable, no oreo effect (if you had it to begin with).

My phone has the Invisible Shield on the front face and Touchstone backcover. It fits the case just fine, even with the added thickness of the IS.

The backcover is really smooth and you'll see the "indentation" design in order to fit the Touchstone. I wish they had made the back thickness as thin as possible, makes the back of the phone look really chunky.

The slider is a little tight when you first get the case, but after a few uses it slides pretty easily using the two thumb method. If you like opening your phone with one hand, probably not the case for you.

The case comes with the Chrome finish cover and a Red cover and one black, back cover. My Pre feels about the size of a Blackberry 8350i (the Nextel Blackberry), so it is definitely chunkier but not horrible.

The phone charges just fine on the Touchstone, but if bumped it can easily come off the charger.

I wish the cover had a slimmer design on the front, a completely thin backcover using a material similar to the Touchstone backcover to give it a nicer feel.

I'm going to give it a test drive for a week or so and see if I like it. If not, I can easily remove it without causing any sort of damage to my phone or Invisible Shield.

What do you think of the case? Too fugly? Not bad?
    I like that background, where did you get it?

Edit: and the case is nice, the front cover has chrome correct? like a Blackberry Bold?
    Last edited by zeravla531; 09/04/2009 at 12:14 PM.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    I like it - how much was it?
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by zeravla531 View Post
    I like that background, where did you get it?

Edit: and the case is nice, the front cover has chrome correct? like a Blackberry Bold?
    I added the background to the site, just right click and Save As. You can then move it over to your Pre via USB.

It has a Chrome finish, but you can almost see through it. If you hold it up through the light you can see through it a bit, but looks good.

I don't know exactly how much it was, I think it was $24 or something like that. Sprint isn't cheap, so it is a little on the expensive side. I checked eBay and I haven't seen them there yet. However, Sprint does offer a 1 year warranty on their accessories and a full 30-day return policy. It's worth checking it out, returning it if you don't like it.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Thanks for the info. I went and got one and I love it. It's got a good feel to it. It's a little stiff at first, but it seems to be loosing up.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by awrnsmn View Post
    Thanks for the info. I went and got one and I love it. It's got a good feel to it. It's a little stiff at first, but it seems to be loosing up.
    I'm glad you liked it! I've had mine almost 2 days and it slides really nice now. It adds bulk, other than that, no complaints. I've kept it on since I got it and will probably just keep it.
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    ah, that's the same case my friend bought after I convinced him to get the pre. I like how it makes it more wide...fits comfortably in the hand. But yeah, because it is more wide, does seem way more bulkier. I opted to go for the Sedio case which I love (my friend wishes he had gotten that one too).
    Could you tell us what company makes this case and what is is called? I have been looking for information about this case online and have not been able to find anything about it.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    That looks kinda sexy. Might have to pick one up!
    Just bought it and returned it within 10 minutes. Way too bulky and the chrome is tacky and takes away from the Pre's sleek look and feel IMO. I also couldn't open the slider for the life of me. No thanks LOL I instead ordered the premium holster via telesales so hopefully that will feel better.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by preman2be913 View Post
    Just bought it and returned it within 10 minutes. Way too bulky and the chrome is tacky and takes away from the Pre's sleek look and feel IMO. I also couldn't open the slider for the life of me. No thanks LOL I instead ordered the premium holster via telesales so hopefully that will feel better.
    first few times it IS stiff, but it loosens pretty quick. I think it looks and feels great. Everyone has thier own taste though. Just because I like it doesn't mean everyone will!!
    Quote Originally Posted by awrnsmn View Post
    first few times it IS stiff, but it loosens pretty quick. I think it looks and feels great. Everyone has thier own taste though. Just because I like it doesn't mean everyone will!!
    I love the guide rail design and wish all manufacturers mimic this one butI just wish it was thinner and why on earth would they offer it in chrome? Couldn't they offer black?
  13.    #13  
    Yes, it does take away from the Pre's slim design. It could definitely be slimmer and a black cover option would be great.

Mine slides open without any problems, but it did take a few hours to losen up.

As far as a brand, I don't know. It came in a Sprint branded package which I threw away. I regret not keeping it.

I hope newer and slimmer cases using the rail design come out soon.
    To the people who don't like the chrome trim on the case, you might try taping off everything, scuffing up the chrome with a high grit sandpaper, and hitting it with some rustoleum. I plan on doing something like this if I get this case and don't like the chrome.
    I bought one immediately after finding this thread.

PRO:
    • Guide rail design cures oreo effect without putting stress on the Pre itself
    • Case attaches to itself instead of Pre -- easy to put on and take off
    • Works with Touchstone to allow charging
    • Indented area on back cover ensures accurate Touchstone alignment everytime
    • No fingerprints or streaks

CON:
    • Adds a lot of bulk to the Pre -- if you like sleek cases, pass on this one
    • Overpriced by about half -- this is a $14.95 case, not a $29.95 case
    • Cutouts allow access to all buttons and the microUSB port, but pushing the power button is awkward and the port cover is very difficult to open with the case on
    • Case prevents opening/closing keyboard if microUSB port is in use -- if you're going to need the keyboard while charging/transferring data, either open the keyboard first or take the case off
    • Chrome and red front covers are, well, tacky looking -- the red one actually looks better than the "chrome" one, IMO
    • Touchstone charging works, but the Touchstone magnets will not hold the Pre securely -- this case should not be used if you use a Touchstone in the car

Overall, I can recommend this case if you want to eliminate oreo effect without performing surgery on your Pre. It's definitely overpriced -- Sprint should have priced this under $15. The quality of the materials and the case design are just not reflective of a $30 case. Nevertheless, the guide rail method of securing the case to itself is excellent. I look forward to seeing other vendors use this method on cases that are made from higher-grade materials.

Could you tell us what company makes this case and what is is called?
    It's a Sprint-branded accessory.

To the people who don't like the chrome trim on the case, you might try taping off everything, scuffing up the chrome with a high grit sandpaper, and hitting it with some rustoleum. I plan on doing something like this if I get this case and don't like the chrome.
    It's not chrome, but rather clear plastic with a metallic coloring cast into it -- NOT coated or painted on. The red one is similarly made -- the plastic is almost but not quite translucent, and the red coloring is cast into the plastic. I don't know why Sprint didn't also include a black cover -- it might have added another $0.05 to the cost.
    Last edited by doublebullout; 09/05/2009 at 07:51 AM.