Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Mine didn't work with the Touchstone either. The round part that the Touchstone is supposed to fit in looked a little bowed-out, so I don't think it was making good enough contact. I exchanged it today. unfortunately my only TS is on my desk at work, so I will have to wait until Monday to see if it works.
    Quote Originally Posted by doublebullout View Post
    I bought one immediately after finding this thread.

PRO:
    • Guide rail design cures oreo effect without putting stress on the Pre itself
    • Case attaches to itself instead of Pre -- easy to put on and take off
    • Works with Touchstone to allow charging
    • Indented area on back cover ensures accurate Touchstone alignment everytime
    • No fingerprints or streaks

CON:
    • Adds a lot of bulk to the Pre -- if you like sleek cases, pass on this one
    • Overpriced by about half -- this is a $14.95 case, not a $29.95 case
    • Cutouts allow access to all buttons and the microUSB port, but pushing the power button is awkward and the port cover is very difficult to open with the case on
    • Case prevents opening/closing keyboard if microUSB port is in use -- if you're going to need the keyboard while charging/transferring data, either open the keyboard first or take the case off
    • Chrome and red front covers are, well, tacky looking -- the red one actually looks better than the "chrome" one, IMO
    • Touchstone charging works, but the Touchstone magnets will not hold the Pre securely -- this case should not be used if you use a Touchstone in the car

Overall, I can recommend this case if you want to eliminate oreo effect without performing surgery on your Pre. It's definitely overpriced -- Sprint should have priced this under $15. The quality of the materials and the case design are just not reflective of a $30 case. Nevertheless, the guide rail method of securing the case to itself is excellent. I look forward to seeing other vendors use this method on cases that are made from higher-grade materials.

It's a Sprint-branded accessory.

It's not chrome, but rather clear plastic with a metallic coloring cast into it -- NOT coated or painted on. The red one is similarly made -- the plastic is almost but not quite translucent, and the red coloring is cast into the plastic. I don't know why Sprint didn't also include a black cover -- it might have added another $0.05 to the cost.
    I'm really surprised that no one has mentioned the "Monaco leather press on case" for the pre you can find them on ebay for about 24 bucks. They are really nice leather press on's (mean that they don't snap on like the hard cases and leave scratches on your pre). I have one and I love it, cause it's total protection. I don't have to use a screen protector, cause it has a leather flap that folds over the screen when not in use. The only draw backs are that you have to open the flap to use the touch screen and it can be kinda odd making calls with tha flap in the way. For me thou it was all about protecting my investment, so if that's you go to ebay and check it out. They also have some video's on youtube for the case reviews.
    My friend just got this case on Sat and I love that it "eliminated" the oreo effect. So, I just picked one up today along with a touchstone. Sprint has a promotion that if you buy 2 things together, you get 20% off.

So far I like it. It is a little bit tight to open up the keyboard with 1 hand, but I love that it doesn't twist at all now with the case on. Plus it works very well with the touch stone. It doesn't slide whatsoever because it has a round indented shape in the back of the case that fits the touchstone. For $22 (after 20% discount), it is not bad (I am sure the profit they made is 1000% or something). Although I would prefer it to be a bit smaller and with black, but it is a good case with good protection.
    Okay I have an update regarding this case, something I discovered today.
    I bought and applied this case on Sept 24th. Since then, I have pretty much left the pre in the case, only taking out occasionally to clean it and the inside of the case. Today I went to take it apart, the case that is, after having it in there for about a week straight. I noticed some scratches, or nicks in the sides, top, and bottom of the front half of the pre.
    Here is my advice on this case. Yes it is still a good case to buy, but I would advise anyone who has one now, or plans on picking one up to not leave the Pre in the case 24/7. I would suggest only using it when you need to, such as when away from home. I think dirt gets under the front faceplate, and gets lodged between the plate and the Pre, vibration, opening and closing eventually cause these nicks in the plastic, on both the Pre and the front case. I think the best plan is routine cleaning, at least every day, and only using the case when needed. I can barely notice the nicks, and after a good cleaning, they are near invisible...but I do have an ocd about these things so it drives me nuts.
    I am going to see about making some sort of thin gasket that fits around the inside edge of the front plate to keep any dirt from getting in between the case and the pre...though it seems there are plenty of places for dirt and grit to get into.
    If anyone has any suggestions about how to get these nicks out of plastic, let me know.
    I have a kit that I have used to get scratches out of plastic and acrylic, but I am hesitant to apply it to the Pre...any suggestions would help.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrinityOmega View Post
    Okay I have an update regarding this case, something I discovered today.
    I bought and applied this case on Sept 24th. Since then, I have pretty much left the pre in the case, only taking out occasionally to clean it and the inside of the case. Today I went to take it apart, the case that is, after having it in there for about a week straight. I noticed some scratches, or nicks in the sides, top, and bottom of the front half of the pre.
    Here is my advice on this case. Yes it is still a good case to buy, but I would advise anyone who has one now, or plans on picking one up to not leave the Pre in the case 24/7. I would suggest only using it when you need to, such as when away from home. I think dirt gets under the front faceplate, and gets lodged between the plate and the Pre, vibration, opening and closing eventually cause these nicks in the plastic, on both the Pre and the front case. I think the best plan is routine cleaning, at least every day, and only using the case when needed. I can barely notice the nicks, and after a good cleaning, they are near invisible...but I do have an ocd about these things so it drives me nuts.
    I am going to see about making some sort of thin gasket that fits around the inside edge of the front plate to keep any dirt from getting in between the case and the pre...though it seems there are plenty of places for dirt and grit to get into.
    If anyone has any suggestions about how to get these nicks out of plastic, let me know.
    I have a kit that I have used to get scratches out of plastic and acrylic, but I am hesitant to apply it to the Pre...any suggestions would help.
    Ha, I was thinking the same thing: could the front case damage the plastic on the pre? Thanks for the advice. I will certainly take apart the case to clean it on a regular basis. It is pretty easy to take it apart. It is not like the other cases that use "tab" to lock with the Pre itself.
    A phantom skinz front protector with a touchstone back inside this case is almost bullet proof. I constantly pulled my pre out of the case prior to the phantom skins install and wiped any and all debris out because I knew that scratches would be a problem....they are with all hard cases and hard bodies devices. Now it's no concern.
    Global Posts
    631 Global Posts
    great case! Makes my rocketfish case look cheap. I actually prefer the added width of this case, as it makes handling of the Pre easier for me and I get less thumb/finger strain. Also, the homebrew app "carpenters level" now works better due to the cases flat sides. Anyone remember who developed that app? I'd like to ask if he can update it because it responds a little too slowly to the Pre's orientation.
    Just tried out this case in the store and it seems to be excellent. The only thing I don't like is how slick the finish is. I think it's even slipperier than the naked Pre.

I ordered two from the guy on eBay. Can't beat the price!
  9. cbo
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    I have this case too..anyone notice any problems causing it to get hotter more?
    Just got my case 2 days ago...it is great. What a difference it makes. I got this case to replace the innocase suface and this case makes the Pre feel like such a sturdy phone. I only wish they made it with a Black front.
    I know, I would buy this case already, but not with that chrome bezel, no way
    As far as heat and scratching, my case hasn't scratched my Pre, and it doesn't seem to get any hotter with the case on (but then mine is a bit vented :lol: - see http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...emel-tool.html )

One thing I did notice though, was when I did remove the case, there was a bit of lint build up under the case

I wasn't a fan of the chrome or red, so I just hit my red cover with a few coats of flat black paint.
    if any one else has this case , plese post some more pics thanxs........
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OpenTrackRacer View Post
    Any thoughts on how well this will protect the phone from impacts versus a rubberized cover? I think I need to get over to a Sprint store and check this out. Can anyone share the part number?

Thanks!

I got my case with the phone (thrown in) when I bought my Pre. I dropped my phone on the sidewalk the other day (in case) and it held it together just fine. Case held together as well.
    I got mine last Friday and love it. It was a little stiff the first day but loosened after that. It is a little bulky but it doesn't bother me. Right now Sprint has a 25% off accessories deal (I think just for Premier members) so mine only came to $22.00. It is rock solid now - no side to side twisting!
    Global Posts
    631 Global Posts
    Hopefully they will sell different color faceplates (i.e. black).
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    My chrome faceplate broke after a 3 ft drop after 3 weeks of use. I used the red faceplate for a couple of days but found it too hideous. Off to True Value I go to get some flat black spray paint!
    Quote Originally Posted by ianmedina View Post
    My chrome faceplate broke after a 3 ft drop after 3 weeks of use. I used the red faceplate for a couple of days but found it too hideous. Off to True Value I go to get some flat black spray paint!
    What kind of paint I should use so that the paint won't come off?
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    I'm going to use spray paint for plastics (3 coats) and then follow it up with a clear coat.

I've read that sanding it down first is ideal but I'm too lazy for that.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    I was wondering if anyone had a full skin on their phone and used this case? I have a full body Phantom Skinz on mine (don't have Touchstone). I have quite a bit of oreo and I think this might be the way to go for me.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast