Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've had a Pre for about one month now. I bought the touchstone kit about two weeks afterward. Since then, I've discovered problems with my garage door opener, as well as my car keys. The garage door remote will work fine right after I leave, but when I return home it won't open. My car will unlock using its keyfob at first, but when I try to lock/unlock it at my destination nothing happens. This is scary because the car no longer recognizes the key after the fob doesn't work, so I'm unable to manually unlock it. After a few hours, everything works normally again and the cycle repeats itself next time I go out.

I did use the touchstone in the car but once this problem started I stopped bringing it with me. Nothing has changed since then. I tried taking my husband's garage remote with me once and it conked out on me too. I just had my car taken in today to get the locking mechanisms checked out and the loaner I have (exact same car, give or take a model year) is doing the SAME thing. It kills me that I might have to give up my touchstone and matte backing! It's too inconvenient to take on and off every time I come and go. Has anyone else heard of this??
    I'm having a real hard time seeing how a Touchstone could cause other devises to lose their battery charge. I think more info and testing would be required before you could even think about blaming it on the Touchstone.
    A Palm device foulable? NO WAY.... I'm thinking it's you.

Just kidding, in all seriousness it may have something to do with the magnet. This is all speculation as this seems to be the first post of it's nature.
    Quote Originally Posted by guerillatwang View Post
    A Palm device foulable? NO WAY.... I'm thinking it's you.

Just kidding, in all seriousness it may have something to do with the magnet. This is all speculation as this seems to be the first post of it's nature.
    .... foulable? Like the end result of all diapers? Or perhaps that's a baseball term. Like "that ball is foulable?"
    Last edited by pogeypre; 09/01/2009 at 11:54 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkytyphoonj View Post
    I've had a Pre for about one month now. I bought the touchstone kit about two weeks afterward. Since then, I've discovered problems with my garage door opener, as well as my car keys. The garage door remote will work fine right after I leave, but when I return home it won't open. My car will unlock using its keyfob at first, but when I try to lock/unlock it at my destination nothing happens. This is scary because the car no longer recognizes the key after the fob doesn't work, so I'm unable to manually unlock it. After a few hours, everything works normally again and the cycle repeats itself next time I go out.

I did use the touchstone in the car but once this problem started I stopped bringing it with me. Nothing has changed since then. I tried taking my husband's garage remote with me once and it conked out on me too. I just had my car taken in today to get the locking mechanisms checked out and the loaner I have (exact same car, give or take a model year) is doing the SAME thing. It kills me that I might have to give up my touchstone and matte backing! It's too inconvenient to take on and off every time I come and go. Has anyone else heard of this??
    The touchstone doesn't have a magnet near strong enough to cause any issues with electronics in your car. Your own personal twighlight zone.
    My wife and I have had 7 kids, one each year... i bought the touchstone and after one month of use, she can not get pregnant! Also, my cat grew a third tail. *2nd tail appeared after I ordered the touchstone, 3rd tail appeared when the touchstone arrived.* Lastly, the spot around my desk where the touchstone sits has a growth area similar to the mole on my 2nd grade teachers face! Tiny little black hairs popping out and all!

BEWARE TOUCHSTONE USERS!
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    I laughed out loud when I read the original post. I thought you were making a joke and it was great.....Sorry

Its not the touchstone.

I'm going to guess you drive a Ford???
    And it's over 3 years old
    Actually I was a little stumped today by something similar.
    I don't think it's the touchstone, I think it's the Pre!
    I just got the touchstone a couple days ago and I brought it to work today, didn't have it out in the car, just at work. Had the Pre on there for a couple hours then left to get some food real quick, grabbed the Pre off the TouchStone and slammed it in my pocket with my keys (got the Invisible Shield which rocks hardcore). I have NEVER had problems with my car remote before, but for some reason Lock/Unlock were both unresponsive and I had to manually unlock, coming back 20 minutes later I had to manually lock it too. I went back to work thinking the battery died, but then a coworker needed something I had in my car, so I tossed him the keys and said "Remote unlock doesn't work". He comes back with the item and says "Remote unlock worked fine."

You're not crazy!
    keyfob and garage door frequencies....pre must be interfering and superimposing.
    Those both are RF frequencies. I really couldn't understand why, and I wouldn't have thought anything of it if I didn't see this post.
    The Pre doesn't have any more reason to interfere with those devices than any other cell phone.

But weird things can happen with electronics. You just never know. Pre could potentially have EMI issues. Key fobs and garage door openers tend to use rolling codes for security. If the Pre is generating EMI at the right frequency and the fob battery is low, I suppose it's possible that it could flip a bit or two, and it might then take several more tries to get the codes to sync back up.

I really doubt it's the Touchstone though. I don't think it operates at a high enough frequency.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    If you place a piece of electronics onto the Touchstone, or very close to it, it's possible that it could cause problems.

However, anything that's more than 6 or so inches away... I just don't see it happening.
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    Some touchstone owners are likely emitting bogons, which can cause problems with electronics.
    I've got the TS, and I've got my phone in my pocket with my remote, and it arms/disarms the car just fine.
  16.    #16  
    I guess I didn't mean the touchstone specifically.. just the touchstone backing on the phone. I've since taken it off and I haven't had any problems with the remote for the car or the garage. I can't really explain it otherwise, but it just seemed like whatever the pre was emitting with the touchstone battery cover on was messing anything else up that was near it. Glad to know I'm not the only one!
    I guess I didn't mean the touchstone specifically.. just the touchstone backing on the phone. I've since taken it off and I haven't had any problems with the remote for the car or the garage. I can't really explain it otherwise, but it just seemed like whatever the pre was emitting with the touchstone battery cover on was messing anything else up that was near it. Glad to know I'm not the only one!
    You mean the sticky stuff that makes it stay put on whatever surface you're attaching the TS to? Now I'm REALLY confused on how you figure that was screwing with your other gear.
  18.    #18  
    The battery cover. The touchstone battery cover. I guess in my head I have all the words figured out but in text they don't seem right.
    Isn' potential interference with other devices why we have the fcc?

I mean I can't really see any reason why these can't just be coincidence.
    Could you possibly put info like what car and brand of garage door oprner you have. Also BT and Wifi setting as well (wifi connection @ work and home or neither etc..)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast