View Poll Results: Does audio crackle/get choppy using a bluetooth earpiece with your pre your pocket?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nope, I have no problems with choppy bluetooth audio when pre is in pocket

14 31.11%
  • Choppy bluetooth audio happens when pre is in pocket, but not too bad

16 35.56%
  • Choppy bluetooth audio happens when pre is in pocket, and makes bluetooth unusable with the pre

15 33.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've had the pre for a couple of weeks now and for the most part am happy with it. I do have one major issue though and I'm hoping someone here could shed some light on it for me.

The problem is with bluetooth headsets. I have tried a Samsung WEP200 and a Plantronics Voyager 855 both with the same results. When I talk on a call using BT I get a crackle/breakup sound if I hold the pre in my hand while calling or put it in my pocket. The ony way a I get a clear bluetooth sound is by holding the pre about a foot and a half away from the BT earpiece or by laying it down on a table. Basically, the act of cupping the pre in my hand or having it next to me in a pocket seems to be interfering with the BT signal. This makes BT practically unusable as I can't really walk and talk with it unless I hold the phone close to my head which defeats most of the purpose of having a BT headset.

The same two BT headsets work fine with my Motorola Q and I can put the Motorola Q in my hand, pocket, or across the room and all is fine.

Thinking it might be my particular pre I took it back to best buy and exchanged it for a new one - but I have the same exact problem with the new one.

Anyone else have a similar experience? Do all pres have a bad BT signal quality? Am I just unlucky enough to get two that had this issue and the rest are fine? Maybe a bad batch? Can others use a BT headset with the pre in their pocket with no issues?

Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by DHardmanJr View Post
    I've had the pre for a couple of weeks now and for the most part am happy with it. I do have one major issue though and I'm hoping someone here could shed some light on it for me.

The problem is with bluetooth headsets. I have tried a Samsung WEP200 and a Plantronics Voyager 855 both with the same results. When I talk on a call using BT I get a crackle/breakup sound if I hold the pre in my hand while calling or put it in my pocket. The ony way a I get a clear bluetooth sound is by holding the pre about a foot and a half away from the BT earpiece or by laying it down on a table. Basically, the act of cupping the pre in my hand or having it next to me in a pocket seems to be interfering with the BT signal. This makes BT practically unusable as I can't really walk and talk with it unless I hold the phone close to my head which defeats most of the purpose of having a BT headset.

The same two BT headsets work fine with my Motorola Q and I can put the Motorola Q in my hand, pocket, or across the room and all is fine.

Thinking it might be my particular pre I took it back to best buy and exchanged it for a new one - but I have the same exact problem with the new one.

Anyone else have a similar experience? Do all pres have a bad BT signal quality? Am I just unlucky enough to get two that had this issue and the rest are fine? Maybe a bad batch? Can others use a BT headset with the pre in their pocket with no issues?

Dave
    Apparently they all suck
  3.    #3  
    That would be unfortunate if they all had terrible bluetooth connectivity. It's hard to believe that a phone would be released with such a significant issue.

Anyone else want to chime in on whether they are or are not having problems with bluetooth audio crackle/breakup when the phone is being held in the hand or placed in a pocket?
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Mine is terrible. I never had any issues with my built-in car (Infiniti G35) bluetooth hands frees system using any of my Treos (700p & 755). They would work all the way outside of the car.

I have only had my original Pre (haven't replaced it so far), but I have been thinking about it because of bluetooth. I would consider this broken. If this is what is supposed to be like...somebody needs to find a new job (and I want compensation). I have never been able to have a conversation using bluetooth on my Pre in the car. My experience sounds similar to the other posters - crackling and breaking up.
    I have the Plantronics Voyager Pro and I have never had a problem with anything. It always connects, is lightweight and comfortable, battery lasts quite a while, and sounds great. you do have to wear a boom style mic BUT it definately helps with wind noise.

You should try it! On sale at www.msgdigital.com

In fact, I hardly ever talk on my Pre without it as I think the Pre talking and holding sucks (heat and sound wise and the sounds of your hand moving iwth the phone if youre talking), but with the Voyager Pro talking on the Pre is awesome, plus I can look up stuff on the web if needed with WiFi without putting my whole conversation on Speakerphone.

Best headset I have ever owned, next best being the stock Treo BT one for the Treo 650, but it didnt have wind technology so that sucked.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJeremyC View Post
    I have the Plantronics Voyager Pro and I have never had a problem with anything. It always connects, is lightweight and comfortable, battery lasts quite a while, and sounds great. you do have to wear a boom style mic BUT it definately helps with wind noise.

You should try it! On sale at MsgDigital Cell | Cellular Store | Buy mobile cells |Phone accessories

In fact, I hardly ever talk on my Pre without it as I think the Pre talking and holding sucks (heat and sound wise and the sounds of your hand moving iwth the phone if youre talking), but with the Voyager Pro talking on the Pre is awesome, plus I can look up stuff on the web if needed with WiFi without putting my whole conversation on Speakerphone.

Best headset I have ever owned, next best being the stock Treo BT one for the Treo 650, but it didnt have wind technology so that sucked.
    We're not talking about headsets we're talikng about the crappy signal from the pre. If you put the pre in your pocket it will have alot of static and mine disconnects and reconnects very often.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sslow View Post
    We're not talking about headsets we're talikng about the crappy signal from the pre. If you put the pre in your pocket it will have alot of static and mine disconnects and reconnects very often.

That's right. It's not the headset, it's the pre itself. But given that others seem to have no issues it would appear to be a issue with only some pres and not all pres. Hard to tell though.

Before I returned my first pre I went to a Sprint store and used my bluetooth earpiece with one of the pres they had in the store and I didn't experience the crackle/choppy sound. That said I couldn't put their phone in my pocket because of the short security cord that had it tethered down to the display stand. But I did cup my hands around it and there was no problem. This lead me to believe it was my particular pre but when I exchanged it at best buy the new phone still had the issue.

I'm going to the Sprint store again to see if I can use one of their phones that isn't tethered to the display stand.
  8.    #8  
    Ok, I added a poll to see if we can find out if the issue is with all pres or just some of them.
    Global Posts
    985 Global Posts
    This could be a major deal breaker for me if it has weak bluetooth signal come on, its 2009 Palm !
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    Jeez. You guys standing on a microwave or a wifi access point trying to use your bluetooth headsets or what?!

I've had on occasional bits of static. Mostly it works so long as your Pre is on the same side of your body as your headset. If you put it in the pocket on the OTHER side of your body, then BT loses it's line of sight to the headset and yeah, you'll have issues.

The PalmOS treos, by in large, had crappy BT radios too. Personally, I think the one in the Pre is WAY better than the Treo 650 and 755p's BT radios.
    I also have the static problem when my Pre is in my pocket, and when I try to leave the pre in the car and just walk a few feet away. I thought BT was supposed to have a little more range?
    I likey take apart thingies....
    I haven't had any problem with my Pre in my pocket, but I've never tried walking away from it.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by powerbyte View Post
    I thought BT was supposed to have a little more range?
    With my old Motorola Q it seemed to have quite a bit more range.
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    By far this is the best BT experience I have had with any phone. Rock solid connection, no static, good range. I'm very happy with the BT except for the fact you cant hear ringtone in the headset.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by edlex View Post
    By far this is the best BT experience I have had with any phone. Rock solid connection, no static, good range. I'm very happy with the BT except for the fact you cant hear ringtone in the headset.
    I'm starting to think that not all pres are created equal when it comes to BT. Would you mind telling us what BT earpiece you are using?

Thanks,
    Dave
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    i use the motorokr s9hd. I used to keep phone in pocket but now I have a camo golla bag. Either way I never had any connection problems. Also holding phone doesn't bother. I've had 3 pres since release with latest being 2 days ago. None had these problems. Good luck.
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    I've had a variety of stereo BT performance range. If the pre is connected to a charger the BT signal seems to be stronger (i.e. I get better range). When I put the phone in my pocket, I get better bluetooth performance (while in pocket) with the phone display facing away from my body. If I get the loss in connection or skipping, I let the phone and headset receiver align in line of sight for about 5 seconds and the skipping will stop for a while.
    I'm a little curious about peoples expectations for the phone and BT in general. The base root idea of having a cell phone is to have it ON YOU. Preferably in a holster or similar case.

Yet people want to be able to roam around malls or their house while the phone is in the car? Maybe in the future but right now your expectation is beyond the design of the phone. I realize that some manufacturers of BT devices state large distances over a connection, but lets be realistic..

...if you leave your phone on a picnic table and walk across the grassy plain to your car...ok..you will get some distance. If you leave it in your car and walk into your house as soon as your car door closes you should be almost out of range.

BlueTooth was designed for things like keyboards and mice sitting next to computers. People seem to think that we NEED massive transmitters to pollute even more airwaves so that they can meander through the mall without carrying the 'heavy' cell phone.

BT static, disconnects, loss of signal are all real issues WHEN the phone is ON your person, in a holster/case. Put the phone anywhere else and you are exceeding the realistic design of the tech. Yes manufacturers may make some devices that CAN work at a distance, but the cost/use ratio is just not worth it.

Maybe wait till the next new tech is introduced.

When the cell phone is really only as big as your earpiece and the little roll up touch screen in your pocket becomes the 'visual' screen and not the core tech, then you will be happy.
  19.    #19  
    For me I was just hoping that the Pre's bluetooth would be as good as the Motorola Q which was 2+ years old. So far it hasn't been. I think it's reasonable to expect that there shouldn't be any audio crackle if the pre is in your hand or in your pocket when using a BT earpiece. The Motorola Q passed this test with flying colors.

Based on the survey results it seems like mileage could vary with BT signal quality on the pre. My 30 days is about up so I need to go back to the store and see if I can test some of the pres they have there again to see if the problem really is with my pre and not all pres.
    I have also experienced this issue with my Pre. First off, I can't get it to connect on a regular basis with my Blueant z9i, which was great with my Palm Treo 755p. It will connect then disconnect at random. When it is connected, I get the crackly sound and choppiness also. I find it hard to believe that you should have to carry the phone in a shirt pocket to get Bluetooth. Most phones will let you get up to the 20-33 feet away that they advertise before signal is crappy. I can't get 5 feet away.....got to be a fix for this as almost all states going hands free for all cell phones. Having the latest technology and using a wired headset sucks.....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast