Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    For those interested, Boxwave has a Pre holster for only $6.95. Regular price is $24.95. I don't have it but found it while searching. For that price, it may be worth trying.

Click on the picture for more info.

Nice, I'm in for one!
    hmmmmm....great price...but why is it so cheap??? perhaps it doesnt work too well?????
    Definitely dont want save money on a cheapy holster and ruin my Pre.

I couldnt find any reviews on this.
    Anyone here have used this particular holster???? please give us a feedback. Much thx.
    Global Posts
    247 Global Posts
    I'm kinda suspicious too, looks like a Seidio knock-off.
    Looks very nice, I like the inside facing design. Reminds me of my old nextel 900.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Schufly View Post
    I'm kinda suspicious too, looks like a Seidio knock-off.
    Well then don't buy it. It's amazing how paranoid people can be.

Next time I'll think twice before posting such dangerous information. God forbid someone gets ripped off for $6.95.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    Well then don't buy it. It's amazing how paranoid people can be.

Next time I'll think twice before posting such dangerous information. God forbid someone gets ripped off for $6.95.
    Don't listen to the haters. They live and die by a name brand.
    For 6.95 it's worth a try, why the hell are the others 25 bucks anyway??!?!
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    Thanks....I just got out of bed and was a little grumpy. Haven't hit the coffee yet.
    C'mon OP, add + $3.50 sh to the title/post so this won't be so misleading. The real total is $10.45.

$6.95 shipped is hot, $10.45, not so much.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by prochobo View Post
    C'mon OP, add + $3.50 sh to the title/post so this won't be so misleading. The real total is $10.45.
    Thanks for clarifying that. I would think that most people would assume there is going to be a shipping charge. Hopefully your entire weekend hasn't been ruined by my carelessness.

An additional $3.50.....OH THE HUMANITY!!!!
    There Pre holsters on E-bay, including the Seideo for under $24 delivered. If you really want cheap, there is one for $3.93 including shipping! Link Or a holster and charger for 7.99 link or without the charger for $6.49 link
    Mytether: [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    For what its worth, this holster clip is spring hinged. Meaning when you load it, it doesn't snap the pre into place. You can lift the top clip, slide the Pre in, and close it. This way, it doesn't scratch the Pre!!
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Just picked one of these up (I mean for the price its hard to go wrong no?) Well I just got it in today and I have to say its the equal of the seidio version for 1/3 the price. Ruberized plastic all over, softscreen insert as to not touch the screen and a spring clip that wont scratch the pre during insertion and removal like the other cheap cases around.

I highly recommend!
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by flutie98 View Post
    Just picked one of these up (I mean for the price its hard to go wrong no?) Well I just got it in today and I have to say its the equal of the seidio version for 1/3 the price. Ruberized plastic all over, softscreen insert as to not touch the screen and a spring clip that wont scratch the pre during insertion and removal like the other cheap cases around.

I highly recommend!
    Thanks for the review....even though I'm not a "holster person" I think I might pick one up. I've used clip on holsters before but I don't clip it on a belt, I would actually clip it onto my pocket with the phone in my pocket. Strange way of doing it but it works!
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    If it was made in the US, the mold itself (single cavity) could run $9000, another $3k per additional plastic component (2-3 additional aprts), for a total tool cost of $18k ($.18 per 100,000 units). For typical unfilled plastics, the parts probably would run ~$1.50 for the main body, another $.50 per part, so $3.00 per assembly. For a total cost of $3.18. Probably takes several minutes to assemble, typical shop rates are $1/minute, so another $3 in assembly, but lets say $1, so $4.18. Now add 30% for handling, inventory, cost of money, inflation, borrowing rates, etc. Now we're at $5.43 per.

Add packaging, shipping, and then retailer mark-up. Packaging would run about $1.50 w/o instructions and all labels etc. Retailer mark up can vary wildly, and there are often several resellers, stock houses, distributors and then retailers. Mark up can go from 100-500%. Typically 4x the manufacture cost is decent for a retail price. This puts the cost before mark up at 6.93, and after a 400% markup, its ~27.72. So ~$25.

These #'s are all just yanked from a 'dark moist place' but are probably pretty darn close, even if its made in asia (shipping cost, rework cost, scrap cost all associated with out of country manufacture). FWIW, I design injection molded assemblies quite often, and have experience with assemblies on par with this level of complexity (and beyond, well beyond). The texture alone on my last mold ran $2500 per cavity!

The next time you wonder about costs, remember that the part is likely designed in one place, subbed out to a company to 'shoot' the parts, which are then sold at a profit back to the design company, who then assembles the components, and sells to a distributor w/o packaging, who then packages and reships to a retailer, who then has to distribute to chains and what-not. Lots of middle men. All those middle men have to pay for employees, accountants, sales forces, health benefits, etc - hence the large markups.

Sorry, I just see this question often (how can THAT cost SO much?)
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by phreakish View Post
    Sorry, I just see this question often (how can THAT cost SO much?)
    Ok...how about the flip side? How can Boxwave sell them for so cheap? Are they just trying to minimize their losses because they can't sell them at the higher price?
    If it was made in the US,....

Ok...how about the flip side? How can Boxwave sell them for so cheap?

Cool I learned something new. But same Q? as Trekker. Where do they cut corners to make it cheap?
    most things are cheaper outside the US, and often the SAME EXACT item is made, and 'seconds' are sold off, or the same item is sold to another company, who then remarkets it.

Think of it this way: I designed the part, footed the tooling bill, etc, but I dont want to make these forever (the market will dry up sometime, and I dont want to have to predict when). So I make back my investment, plus some percentage, THEN I sell off all the rest of the parts unboxed, unlabelled, etc to some no-name brand who will sell direct to retailers, or who will put them up on ebay etc. Half the cost reduction comes from selling direct to market, rather than through the 2-4 middlemen. The rest of the savings come from cost cutting the packaging and reducing shipping cost (larger shipments to fewer places, etc).

If you have no tooling investment, any penny over as-delivered cost is profit. So even if you only charge $.10 more, thats $.10 per part you sell, and your volume will increase with the reduced price.
    Also remember that firms that design these things can go through different revisions, trashed tools, bad material lots, cert charges etc. They need to make that money back quickly, or their actual ROI is much lower due to the cost of money and inflation.

If I have none of these costs, I have nothing to regain. Also, options are often dropped (colors, designs, etc) so as to up the quantity of a single item, and reduce manufacturing costs (the higher the qty, the lower the price, typically).

One of the other common things with asian companies is that instead of hard steel tooling, they mass produce tooling in aluminum which is faster to turn around, and is just about as accurate for the first 50-100k parts, but often needs retexturing more often. This is okay so long as the texture isnt anything horribly elaborate. A sandblast finish is easiest to maintain (mask, blast, clean, resetup). Often, you'll find that the end of the run on these types of low cost parts are ill fitting, warped, or show inconsistent surface finish.
    Sweet find and thanks. Also does anyone know of a holster like the one above that will fit the mugen or amzer 3800 extended mah battery pack. Thanks
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast