1.    #1  
    Here is the situation...

I got my pre on the stone for more than 2 hours. It is always blank screen with clock on it. This is fine. Then, at a certain point of time. It suddenly lights the screen and display the desktop. There is no email or msg coming in, just a text "charing the battery" pop out in the notification area every 5 sec. When I check the battery status by clicking the battery icon, it shows a battery status of 100%. But the charging battery text just popping out again and again, and the screen won't go blank. The pre is not hot, but definitely warm. It is just annoying.

I got the pre and touchstone yesterday. I put my pre on the touchstone before I went to sleep last night and got up with a battery status of 50% or so. I thought I misplaced it, but today I noticed this issue. Any ideas?

Thanks a lot.
    Not sure but mines did something similar when it would charge and not charge. My problme was the cord they gave me it was bad or something. I would use the cord and it woudl charge then stop then start charing again once i jiggled the cord. The same way when i hooked it up to my computer it would connect and diconnect all the time. Then I got a new cord and havent had a problem with the touchstone or hooking it up to my computer.
    To the OP - make sure that the Pre is sitting on the TS's magnetic sweet spot. Your symptoms sound like this is the issue. The Pre should say 'charging' as soon as you place it on the TS.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by ChemEngr View Post
    To the OP - make sure that the Pre is sitting on the TS's magnetic sweet spot. Your symptoms sound like this is the issue. The Pre should say 'charging' as soon as you place it on the TS.
    I am pretty sure it is at the "sweet point". Otherwise, it won't be able to charge my battery from around 10% to 100%. During such process, nobody touch or moves it... the symptom only appears after it is fully charged
  5.    #5  
    update...

I have opened the back, and flip and metal contact up a little bit.. still no improvement....

placing the phone up-side-down seems to work fine till now... but that looks weird....
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    I had this problem, I returned my touchstone, and the newer one works.
    There are many things that can contribute to this issue:

-Defective cord, Touchstone, or Palm Pre back case
    -Inability to correctly use the Touchstone
    -No contact between Pre and Touchstone Case

Possibly more...

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    I place my Pre on the touchstone before I got to bed, sometimes when i get back to it in the morning the screen is "on" but just a blank/black screen. I have to remove the battery to get it to restart.

I am not sure when this happens, but I always get the sweet spot, and it says it is charging before i leave it. The Pre is not hot, works fine sometimes.

Pre does not charge when this happens... Any ideas? I have had the same touchstone/back since release on sprint. My Pre is a refurb I got last month, but seems to be working fine.

Sprint Pre- Meta-Doctor 2.1.0 w/Flash

Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
    Quote Originally Posted by Butters3605 View Post
    I place my Pre on the touchstone before I got to bed, sometimes when i get back to it in the morning the screen is "on" but just a blank/black screen. I have to remove the battery to get it to restart.
    I have experienced this glitch twice, both times while using Uber-Kernel. Never before, never since. What's your overclock situation?
    Uber-Kernel, Govnah, and CPUscaler Ultimate. Set to on-demand 250-800. I never had the issue before uber-kernel, was using 800MHz Ipk.

Also using preset reset @ 1am every morning, could be a contributing factor. The weird thing is it only happens sometimes, not every night.

Sprint Pre- Meta-Doctor 2.1.0 w/Flash

Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
    I, too, have used the 800 .ipk prior to the Uber-Kernel (and the 800 .sh before that, and a 600MHz .sh script before that, and a manual terminal hack before that, and the 'dangerous' 600MHz SmartReflex patch before that) and haven't had any problems before the advent of the Uber-Kernel. Hasn't popped up since I've decided to uninstall the Uber-Kernel and doctor my phone because of various issues.

I filed a sort-of "bug report" about this issue in the appropriate thread, and a webOS-Internals dev told me he thinks it's because my phone's CPU is from the low end of the quality distribution, which may very well be the case. Be that as it may, it does appear like the problem is an issue with the Uber-Kernel, even if it's not one with the kernel per se but only a compatibility issue with below-par hardware (and keep in mind whenever dealing with averages of any kind that half of the population is always below average...)
    I have three Touchstones, I had this problem with the last one I got from RadioShack. I had already thrown out the reciept and the Shack would not take it back. Went to Verizon and they exchanged it no problem, they tested it at the store and said it was bad. New replacement works fine.
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    I, too, have used the 800 .ipk prior to the Uber-Kernel (and the 800 .sh before that, and a 600MHz .sh script before that, and a manual terminal hack before that, and the 'dangerous' 600MHz SmartReflex patch before that) and haven't had any problems before the advent of the Uber-Kernel. Hasn't popped up since I've decided to uninstall the Uber-Kernel and doctor my phone because of various issues.

I filed a sort-of "bug report" about this issue in the appropriate thread, and a webOS-Internals dev told me he thinks it's because my phone's CPU is from the low end of the quality distribution, which may very well be the case. Be that as it may, it does appear like the problem is an issue with the Uber-Kernel, even if it's not one with the kernel per se but only a compatibility issue with below-par hardware (and keep in mind whenever dealing with averages of any kind that half of the population is always below average...)

I'm not sure I think it's hardware-related. I am seeing this issue with the Uberkernel (I just got my touchstones so I haven't used them with any other kernels) and I have a 3-month-old Plus that has no issues scaling from 125-800MHz.

Every few times I use the Touchstone, thep phone gets very hot and I can't wake it up. I'm not sure if the phone gets hot before or after the screen blacks out. This happens regardless of whether it's during a scheduled reset (it just happened while it was sitting here on my desk at work).
    We have a total of 5 TS chargers in our family for many months now(1 from Sprint, 1 from Amazon and 3 from Radio Shack) and I am also running the Govnah and Uber-Kernel and so far we have never had any issues with our TS chargers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Speebs View Post
    I'm not sure I think it's hardware-related. I am seeing this issue with the Uberkernel (I just got my touchstones so I haven't used them with any other kernels) and I have a 3-month-old Plus that has no issues scaling from 125-800MHz.

Every few times I use the Touchstone, thep phone gets very hot and I can't wake it up. I'm not sure if the phone gets hot before or after the screen blacks out. This happens regardless of whether it's during a scheduled reset (it just happened while it was sitting here on my desk at work).
    Consider taking off the Uber-Kernel and running your phone without it for a week and see if it happens again. I've only got a Pre Minus from October, but the blackout issue has never cropped up for me before the Uber-Kernel, and I've never read about it before it was released.

That being said, my phone would sometimes get really glitchy and require a full reset after applying some governor options, and would simply ALWAYS get hot while running Uber-Kernel (weirdly enough, this was not the case with the .sh or .ipk distributions of the original 800MHz overclock kernel, which I believe I used for a month or so). In other weird news, the Uber-Kernel made the bottom of my Pre go piping hot when talking on the phone. I initially thought it was the processor, but even though processor temps did go up, I've since learned that the spot that got hot isn't the CPU but the GSM radio (and I would assume the EV-DO radio is in the same place). I'm talking about my phone getting uncomfortably hot, and I mean uncomfortably to the touch, from as little as five minutes on the phone with somebody. This didn't happen the first day I had the Uber-Kernel on, but by the time it was on my phone for a week, I decided to doctor.