1.    #1  
    Does anyone know if any USB car charger will work with the Pre? Me dual usb charger (cheap brand) recently decided to crap out on me and now I'm looking at the premium level USB car chargers and ran into several that insist on stating "iPod/iPhone" under the "Mobile Compatibility". I just might be a little OCD here but I have this great fear of breaking my Pre and the last thing I need is my Pre to overheat and die on me in the car.

The one that I'm looking at is the Micro Auto Charger from Belkin. It says that it's a "fast charger" and is a 5V. Will this be compatible with my Pre?

***edit - forgot to mention - the reason why I'm so paranoid is cause the usb charger that broke use to not always charge my phone. There were several occasions where I had to unplug and plug the interface to the Pre for it to recognize the charger.

Belkin : Micro Auto Charger
    Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    Do a forum search, many have been tried. I have tried 3 different ones, and they all worked, save the one that only supplied 500ma, and that one had the same symptom you mentioned. IMHO, find one that can supply a full 1A power, and you should be fine. YMMV. I've found the one from Monoprice.com to be the best, it also powers a touchstone, AND only around a buck or two for the actual plug! Yea!
    you honestly have been on since June, and haven't seen this thread beat to death nor tried to do any kind of a search?
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna View Post
    you honestly have been on since June, and haven't seen this thread beat to death nor tried to do any kind of a search?
    I love how people get flamed when they ask the same or similar type of question.

Anyway, so in a different situation - how about this:

I have two phone and an iPod. I believe the old iPod only takes 500A while my Pre and HTC takes 1A. If I were to get a splitter and plug the usb splitter into the one USB car charger rated at 1A, will this make anything go bad?

Additionally, is a power transfer for all usb cables standard across the board? By this I mean, I wouldn't need to buy the Palm Pre "official" usb cable versus a generic brand I get from Radio Shack, right? It's really about the output of the actual charger, right?
    Last edited by chiliu78; 08/27/2009 at 10:56 AM.
    I've never seen a "USB splitter" before. Do you mean a USB hub? I don't think that would work very well. Most people would just buy a 12V splitter and use multiple chargers from there...
    no 'Thanks'
    There was a user last week who posted about using his GPS charger to power his Pre in the car and literally smoked it. Turns out his charger was defective, but there are differences with the different types. A good rule of thumb is to get one that specifically states it will work with a Pre. That should eliminate any power issues.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
    I've never seen a "USB splitter" before. Do you mean a USB hub? I don't think that would work very well. Most people would just buy a 12V splitter and use multiple chargers from there...
    Ah ok. I might actually just do that. The reason why is cause I actually drive a Saab and there's two cigarette outputs - one right under the radio and one built into the center console. I actually wanted to get a "micro usb charger" and it's about the size of my thumb. It's small and discreet and it would fit perfectly into the center console. I also wanted to get a splitter/hub to put in there so I can have my two phones hidden in the same console. But I guess I should be safe than sorry and do the cigarette lighter splitter instead than to have something burn.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiliu78 View Post
    I love how people get flamed when they ask the same or similar type of question.

Anyway, so in a different situation - how about this:

I have two phone and an iPod. I believe the old iPod only takes 500A while my Pre and HTC takes 1A. If I were to get a splitter and plug the usb splitter into the one USB car charger rated at 1A, will this make anything go bad?

Additionally, is a power transfer for all usb cables standard across the board? By this I mean, I wouldn't need to buy the Palm Pre "official" usb cable versus a generic brand I get from Radio Shack, right? It's really about the output of the actual charger, right?
    That would be very unwise. Not all USB cables/chargers and car chargers are created equal. If you are thinking about splitting the current from one charger, that would not work. Without giving a lecture on Ohm's law, you cannot get more power out of a charger than it's maximum out put. If you have one that puts out 1 amp and you use a splitter, you will not see 1 amp delivered to each device. The most I would expect to see is 1/2 amp.

You would be better off getting a splitter that allows different chargers to be used. You can split the voltage but not the current. It has to with series and parallel circuits, and their relationship to voltage and current (again, Ohm's law).

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Quote Originally Posted by chiliu78 View Post
    Ah ok. I might actually just do that. The reason why is cause I actually drive a Saab and there's two cigarette outputs - one right under the radio and one built into the center console. I actually wanted to get a "micro usb charger" and it's about the size of my thumb. It's small and discreet and it would fit perfectly into the center console. I also wanted to get a splitter/hub to put in there so I can have my two phones hidden in the same console. But I guess I should be safe than sorry and do the cigarette lighter splitter instead than to have something burn.
    They sell 12v -> USB power adapters, that simple provide 2 REGULAR USB ports... this would work similar to what you want. You would just plug in a microUSB cable.

Thing is, I doubt you can find one that does 2A.
    no 'Thanks'
    I use the official verizon blackberry adapter with an adapter. I find that it doesn't always recognize it when I first plug it in, but i f I just leave it connected once it turns on in like twenty seconds. No need to unplug and reinsert.
  11.    #11  
    Ah ok. makes sense now. After my dual charger broke, I tried to go to my old old charger and the Pre recognized it (had the little lighting bolt) but the thing did NOT charge at all. I think it was at 250a. Ha. Thanks again!
    yeah the sprint charger is pretty crappy. it's starting to not connect unless you wiggle it around enough.
    I bought one from a Sprint store that didn't have any Pre chargers... I think this one was for the Samsung Rant. Anyways, I almost always have to pull the plug from the ashtray, wait 5 seconds, and plug it back in for the Pre to start charging. Simply unplugging it from the phone end doesn't usually fix it.

Sometimes I can let it sit for 5-10 minutes, and it will pick it up, and sometimes it never happens.

Pretttttty crapppppy if you ask me.
    no 'Thanks'
    I found a cool charger at radio shack. It is an iPod charger, which charges my ipod, but it also has a USB plug on it, that I use to charge my Pre (using the original cable). I tried to get a iGo adapter, but apparently the microUBS tip from them doesn't work...
    i've been using the "blue neon" iGo from radio shack w/ A97 tip in my rav4 without any problems...the A138 tip is supposed to have the correct output for the pre, but i haven't seen one locally...ken
    Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    The Pre will need a dedicated 1A plug, nothing else plugged into the same transformer plug, make sure it provides 1A, and you should be fine. I doubt that you will have much success if you start plugging other USB items into it at the same time as it will take current away from the 1A to the Pre to run your other items.
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    can't post links, so I can't post anything useful yett