Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    i had an invisible shield on mine the first week i got the phone till a month ago when i got my innocase( for cosmetic reasons),

I had it put on by the Zagg kiosk guy. Due to its warranty, I can have it put back on (front and back) for only 7-8$(labor fee) at any time as long as i keep it, i put it in my pocket and now its all white with lint LOL looks like I skinned a white hamster.

When i carefully took it off peeling up corners before i pulled it slowly off. the phone looked brand new after only one wipe across the screen with a cloth, how the hell that happened to your phone is beyond me.
    whatever floats your boat, buddy.
    I exchanged my pre and peeled of my IS with no issues. Admittedly, I will probably not put it back on, just because I don't like the feel of it, but the few bits of gunk that remained were easily removed by touching the adhesive side of the peeled shield to the gunk, then removing... Might or might not be helpful, but them's my experience.
    Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    i put on a phantom skinz earlier this week and decided to take it off last night because i prob have to take my phone in to exchange it. took me less than a minute to do it and my screen looks perfect. maybe cause i only have it on fo less than a week?
  4.    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by Flak1969 View Post
    My invisibleSHIELD™ looks great..
    If you can't install this with out bubbles than you should have had it done by a professional.
    \ just my 2 cents
    I don't at all disagree with you there. I didn't have bubbles at all, though, but the orange peel like surface of the skin was something that looked dreadful to me, not to mention, I didn't care for the way it adversely affected performance.

Further, even if I had done a crap-*** job with the installation, I'd think that would make it less likely to remove a bit of the screen when I removed it.

Quote Originally Posted by loco1 View Post
    Well sorry that happen to u but I have to take my more than five time yes u hear right 5 time and I never had problem like u, who know may be I'm lucky 5 time but so far is working good and if u wan to know why 5 time well 3 time cuz the bubble won't go away so I take back to place where pay to apply for me and 2 time because I had 2 phone pre that fail and ever time that I exchange the phone to sprint I have to take off the IS before they will change the phone for me .
    How could you possibly think something that's given you so many problems is a quality product?

Getting a new piece o' crap (installed by a professional) for "free" multiple times simply isn't worth the time, effort, or initial investment.

Quote Originally Posted by Glod View Post
    When i carefully took it off peeling up corners before i pulled it slowly off. the phone looked brand new after only one wipe across the screen with a cloth, how the hell that happened to your phone is beyond me.
    Ditto, on both points. I was all sorts of careful removing it -- and a coworker can attest to that. I wanted to make sure that the thing was in pristine condition, not stretched or malformed in the slightest of ways, because I wanted my money back.

Quote Originally Posted by GLAzedFAith View Post
    I exchanged my pre and peeled of my IS with no issues. Admittedly, I will probably not put it back on, just because I don't like the feel of it, but the few bits of gunk that remained were easily removed by touching the adhesive side of the peeled shield to the gunk, then removing... Might or might not be helpful, but them's my experience.
    I think that speaks to the inconsistency of the adhesive on the back of the InvisibleSHIELD... A particularly sticky portion can apparently remove some of the Pre's "flesh".

Quote Originally Posted by klau25 View Post
    i put on a phantom skinz earlier this week and decided to take it off last night because i prob have to take my phone in to exchange it. took me less than a minute to do it and my screen looks perfect. maybe cause i only have it on fo less than a week?
    Mine was on for less than 24 hours, but the PS is a totally different product.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    I bought PS for my first pre and on taking it off due to screen bubbles I had a VERY similar problem to the OP. It was not residue from the cover it was like a bit of whatever thin coating was on the front of the phone pulled off. I thought maybe it was glue and tried to rub it off but could not. When I looked at it from an angle you could clearly see it was indented like peel or a small chip.

I was very careful when I pulled the PS off the phone. I added the second PS hoping it would just cover up that bit of screen that peeled off but it didn't. When I removed the cover again another bit peeled from the same spot making it worst.

I have an IS on my new one (first one took a flying leap out of my pocket on a bike ride) and I am a little concerned about taking it off. I would like to get a cover with less orange peel.
    Seems to me like if chunks of Pre screens are being pulled off by adhesive protectors, then it is a Palm manufacturing defect; plastic just shouldn't do that! I've taken IS's off of Zunes and Sansas before without any problems whatsoever; now I'm worried should I ever have to remove it from the Pre In fairness to Zagg, though, this would've happened to you with any similar shield.
    Quote Originally Posted by PookiePrancer View Post
    I've taken IS's off of Zunes and Sansas before without any problems whatsoever; now I'm worried should I ever have to remove it from the Pre
    Ive Taken it off my ipod once, no problem, Still have the one on my omnia for about a year now

I wonder if using a heat gun would help LOL
    XV6700>Moto Q>U740>Omnia i910>Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenSpartan View Post
    Ive Taken it off my ipod once, no problem, Still have the one on my omnia for about a year now

I wonder if using a heat gun would help LOL
    Well that's my point: if a piece of the Pre's screen got pulled off when removing a shield, there's something very wrong with that Pre's screen vs that of other devices! It's like the plastic delaminated, or something! I though about the heat thing too, should I ever remove mine, but what if that actually makes the Pre's screen more susceptible to delaminating?

I don't know...I realize it's one person's experience, but it nevertheless shows it CAN happen.
  9.    #49  
    Personally, I'd be more likely to try cold than I would hot, but that might be a silly idea too...

In any case, if the Pre's screen is wimpy, then the glue used on screen protectors should be dumbed down a bit as well. Otherwise, the 'No problem!' removal promised by ZAGG is meaningless — especially when they won't back it up.
    Love my IS and it looks great on my pre. No bubbles.
    I want to protect my screen.....but, now Im thinking that I will just chance it....especially with everyone talking about 1. the touch is off and 2. the possible damage to the screen
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sYnOnYx View Post
    Nail Polish Remover will take the "gunk" off .....
    Nail polish remover can contain acetone. I wouldn't risk using this on the Pre
    Wow, i guess i won't get the invisibleshield
    Quote Originally Posted by zen105 View Post
    Wow, i guess i won't get the invisibleshield
    Not just the InvisibleShield, but ANY similar shields would do this damage to SOME Pres; the question is: how lucky do you feel your screen wouldn't be damaged should you ever need to remove it for any reason?

I have an IS on my Pre, and love it. I applied it perfectly. But should I ever need to remove it, I'm afraid my screen may lose flakes of plastic now. If I'd known of this Pre defect, I think I would've looked for alternative protection.
  15.    #55  
    I ultimately decided to give the Seidio Innocase and screen protector a go, and I'm all sorts of happy with it.

Much better look and feel than the InvisibleSHIELD (which wasn't invisible at all), and I feel like it protects the phone much better as well.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Im thinking of getting one but i tried putting some shamby screen protectors my mom got with her blackberry and it was a pain in the arse. Hoping this would be a bit easier.
    Yikes! I had an IS on my iPod Touch and it removed without any problems (ragged edges just got to me after a few months plus the crud that accumulated under said edges) but the Touch has a glass screen whereas the Pre has a plastic one.

Add in the "cracking screen" syndrome (with which I'm currently fighting Bell Mobility) and I'm thinking these screens are way too fragile.

I think I'll go with the Innocase and screen protector myself now too.

And my two cents about the nail polish remover - that CAN damage plastic so be very very careful. Isopropyl alcohol might be a better solution as I understand it shouldn't interact with plastic BUT keep in mind I would never have thought that the IS adhesive would either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Feud View Post
    Yikes! I had an IS on my iPod Touch and it removed without any problems (ragged edges just got to me after a few months plus the crud that accumulated under said edges) but the Touch has a glass screen whereas the Pre has a plastic one.

Add in the "cracking screen" syndrome (with which I'm currently fighting Bell Mobility) and I'm thinking these screens are way too fragile.

I think I'll go with the Innocase and screen protector myself now too.

And my two cents about the nail polish remover - that CAN damage plastic so be very very careful. Isopropyl alcohol might be a better solution as I understand it shouldn't interact with plastic BUT keep in mind I would never have thought that the IS adhesive would either.
    Feud,

You are correct. We recommend Isopropyl Alcohol to clean your device prior to a skin application. It also works well as a quick "clean up" anytime. We mix ours 50/50 with water in our Design Center before use.

Guru
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PhantomSkinz Guru View Post
    Feud,

You are correct. We recommend Isopropyl Alcohol to clean your device prior to a skin application. It also works well as a quick "clean up" anytime. We mix ours 50/50 with water in our Design Center before use.

Guru
    Guru have you had a lot of complaints about damage to Pre's when removing PS's? I've already placed and order for PS but this thread is making me wary about putting it on lol.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    I'm sorry that happened to you. I've used two different shields on mine. The first I left on for two weeks but took it off bc I didnt know how to really install it and messed it up and it just looked funny. When I took it off there was minor residue type stuff that I cleaned off with electronic wipes. The second one looks great since I figure out what not to do the second time.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast