Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    I would think that palm has a patent on the touchstone, however, I've designed a car mount that uses induction.

My question is if they actually patented the induction coil and electronics for the puck or if that is prior art? Either way, I don't really feel like reinventing the wheel. I'd rather just license it anyway or better yet, actually get a chance to talk to one of the guys at palm to see if they'd take any interest in it.

All that extra weight in the puck is totally unnecessary in a car.

Thanks for any knowledge you may have on this subject.

rkguy
    P.S. - I know I asked before, but if anybody has an in with some of Palm's finest, let me know.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Palm is not the only mobile phone company working on an inductive charging system. They are just the first to release one.

That said, there may be some parts of the Touchstone they have covered with IP, but I've not done a patent search for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jp99 View Post
    Palm is not the only mobile phone company working on an inductive charging system. They are just the first to release one.
    Unless you are speaking specifically of mobile phone companies, my Sonicare toothbrush would say otherwise. The notion of inductive charging is not new.
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    I second that
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maskedferret View Post
    Unless you are speaking specifically of mobile phone companies, my Sonicare toothbrush would say otherwise. The notion of inductive charging is not new.
    The mobile phone application is what I was referring to in my post.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    I found an interesting patent (unrelated to the pre) where palm is looking at a
    OPTICAL SENSOR BASED USER INTERFACE FOR A PORTABLE ELECTRONIC DEVICE

I haven't read it thoroughly at all but it looks kind of like a MS surface interface or maybe .

It's actually a somewhat old patent but cool to see anyway

United States Patent Application: 0090184942.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maskedferret View Post
    Yah I understand that inductive charging has been around since Tesla but the fact is that i would have to use the exact length of wire and coil it almost exactly the same to work with the back of the pre. Am I wrong?
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rkguy View Post
    I found an interesting patent (unrelated to the pre) where palm is looking at a
    OPTICAL SENSOR BASED USER INTERFACE FOR A PORTABLE ELECTRONIC DEVICE

I haven't read it thoroughly at all but it looks kind of like a MS surface interface or maybe .

It's actually a somewhat old patent but cool to see anyway

United States Patent Application: 0090184942.

Nope, I'm a dork. Sorry to make a mess of this thread but that patent was for the touch interface used on the pre itself at least when they are talking about the way pages scroll with inertia, etc.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Hey... navigation / orientation by haptic feedback... strange
    United States Patent Application: 0090076723.

TECHNIQUES TO AUTOMATICALLY FOCUS A DIGITAL CAMERA
    - hey, wouldn't that be nice. THis patent's actually a little older. wonder which palm had that... how can you patent that anyway, not prior art?? I'm sure there is something novel in there
    United States Patent Application: 0090033786.

this is exhausting... i still see no reference to the touchstone